Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 03:04 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post
I'd have to tell them good luck getting it finished in two years. Everyone here seems pretty unanimous on this.
Hecks, yes. Considering no money can even be allocated until October and even one injunction is likely to stretch for two years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 03:24 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post
I'd have to tell them good luck getting it finished in two years. Everyone here seems pretty unanimous on this.
no worries! Didn't you hear, it's going to be an invisible fence

Old 02-05-2017, 03:45 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
This is the only thing that I disagree with Trump about is building the wall. The people coming over the Mexican border should be our last worry. He should concentrate on the flow of people coming into the country from overseas. This is the real threat. The travel slowdown was a good step in that direction so there is time to revise the immigration process.

Yeah, those Mexicans, etc. coming over our border should be no worry to us. This link is just the tip of the iceberg to. Also the FBI Director has said that those from known terrorist countries are slipping right in along with those coming thru our southern border and disappearing into our country. Yeah, not to worry.

The Fiscal Burden of Illegal Immigration on United States Taxpayers (2013)

Old 02-05-2017, 04:03 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And how much $$$ American taxpayers get hosed for.
A lot less than what taxpayers are paying for services for illegal aliens.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:08 PM

2,544 posts, read 2,737,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Yeah, those Mexicans, etc. coming over our border should be no worry to us. This link is just the tip of the iceberg to. Also the FBI Director has said that those from known terrorist countries are slipping right in along with those coming thru our southern border and disappearing into our country. Yeah, not to worry.

The Fiscal Burden of Illegal Immigration on United States Taxpayers (2013)
That is true. If we tighten immigration they probably would try the Mexican border and also the Canadian border.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:22 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
General! - general please think!! this is not the army the corp of engineers or DOD that jumps out of planes to drop cement and brink to build an over night permanent wall-

here is a piece of what is El wall
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_Field_State_Park

Old 02-05-2017, 04:25 PM

22,473 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I assume that they can tear down that fencing that now exists (Arizona, California, New Mexico), and replace it with a wall rather easily, if expensively.

I will note that I read an interesting article the other day about some of the pitfalls of building a 'wall' along much of the Texas border. I, and others, have spoken before of some of the problems (ranchers, mountains, river access, etc.). Yet this article noted that much of the Texas-Mexico border is not readily accessible by road (true: I have personally driven from El Paso down to McAllen, and for much of the travel you are far from the border, or from much of anything). The author (an engineer, if I recall) said that a 'wall' implies usage of bricks, stone or concrete.

He said that trucking in such would be prohibitively expensive. Indeed, he said that more than likely, the US Government would likely have to hire Mexican contractors to bring up such material from the Mexican side.

I would also imagine that we would also have to hire many Mexican workers to work on said wall, at least in Texas.
You are well aware that the wall won't run continuously between San Diego and Brownsville? Some terrain is impassable, so no fence needed there. There is already a perfectly good wall between San Diego and Brownsville. Why would it get torn down.

It seems to me that your whole premise of your post was to claim that it would be a continous wall. So...your post is moot.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:27 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I assume that they can tear down that fencing that now exists (Arizona, California, New Mexico), and replace it with a wall rather easily, if expensively.

I will note that I read an interesting article the other day about some of the pitfalls of building a 'wall' along much of the Texas border. I, and others, have spoken before of some of the problems (ranchers, mountains, river access, etc.). Yet this article noted that much of the Texas-Mexico border is not readily accessible by road (true: I have personally driven from El Paso down to McAllen, and for much of the travel you are far from the border, or from much of anything). The author (an engineer, if I recall) said that a 'wall' implies usage of bricks, stone or concrete.

He said that trucking in such would be prohibitively expensive. Indeed, he said that more than likely, the US Government would likely have to hire Mexican contractors to bring up such material from the Mexican side.

I would also imagine that we would also have to hire many Mexican workers to work on said wall, at least in Texas
Oh, the irony. The US government will hire cheap Mexican laborers and use Mexican construction materials to build a wall designed to keep its creators out. I can't wait to see the SNL skit about this

Old 02-05-2017, 04:28 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,443,868 times
Lol hahahahaha 2 years ? I Work in construction good luck in that. Getting a permit can take weeks sometimes, than you have to worry about materials, tools, Water for the concrete and mortar. Than transportation and or housing for the workers. Feeding them, and even their families depending on how long it'll take, giving them access to electricity, running water, heat, ac especially an ac for when it's hot out. Medical personnel, security, don't forget your have to end up taking property away from ranchers and anyone else whose property you'd be infringing on. SO with all that 2 years? Hahahahahahaha that wall will still be going on long after trump and half his cabinet are impeached

Oh to add is he going to recind his hiring freeze? You'll need more border guards, not too mention the workers since it's a government job will be making prevailing wage.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:30 PM

22,473 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
I have been thinking about this the same way you are. If I remember correctly both things, they have to go through congress for approval. Also that Trump can't impose a tariff if it's over so much. I could be very wrong though.
Congress approved the wall years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Fence_Act_of_2006
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies