Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 08:44 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
You miss the point. The anxiety is not about "mean" Trump supporters. The anxiety is caused by being very concerned about the moves Trump is making that affect not only each of us and many others across the US, but what he does that can affect peace in the world. He has already offended 3 allies. This is what keeps me up at night, not you Trump followers.
Exactly. Consider by way of contrast former president Reagan. Reagan's policies weren't exactly friendly to liberal causes. Reagan made some brash and provocative statements. Reagan took numerous positions that for the time were hard-right. Reagan was a former actor with rather unimpressive credentials for the presidency. But there was good reason to rest assured that Reagan would be level-headed and that his policies - however inimical to this or that interest - would have at least been thought through. In contrast, the anxiety over Trump is about his unfettered impulsiveness.

As an investor, I support Libertarian-oriented deregulation and reduction in corporate taxes. That puts me squarely in the Republican camp. But I am aghast at how Trump is going about the process. I prefer incremental and orderly changes, and recoil from vast and sudden moves, even if I happen to support the overall direction if those moves. It's the suddenness and secrecy that gives me anxiety.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:51 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Bringing this back to the psychology issue - is anyone else seriously thinking about building a bomb shelter, preparing for the zombie apocalypse, seeking asylum in Canada, etc? I've never been a whacko, but I'm actually considering the costs of a second home (aka bomb shelter in a forest in the middle of nowhere).
If there truly were a nuclear war, you better build your bomb shelter at your house. The traffic mayhem resultant from a nuclear war would paralyze the freeways and highways and travel would be impossible. Same for seeking asylum in Canada. Better go now. Travel after will be impossible. Our air traffic system can be paralyzed with only a very few major airports shut down do to just snow.

Even if such a nuclear war resulted in no strikes in the US we would still be in a dire situation without world trade.

Best thing you can do in the event of a nuclear war is grab your ankles and kiss your xxx goodbye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Anyone who thinks he's 'doing a great job' should spend the rest of their life in a straitjacket and locked in an insane asylum.
And you are judging his performance based on 15 days in office?

This tells me more about your anxiety and refusal to accept reality than it does about whether or not the new president will do a good job. Your opinion would be more valid if you wait 4 years until you have a full term to predicate your judgements upon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Left/right and Democratic/Republican are a ceaseless oscillation. There is nothing unusual about a relatively liberal president being succeeded by a relatively conservative one. This, I submit, is no cause for surprise or anxiety.
It will be interesting to see who the other party runs in 2020. In theory Obama could run again. Clinton could run again, basing her campaign on Trump's poor performance. If Obama was that great and Trump turns out as badly as most liberals think, then it should be no problem for Obama to beat Trump in 2020. His first act in office can be to shut down Trumpcare.

It appears that this psychology topic has turned political, but I'm glad to see that most political posts have been relatively polite and respectful.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:29 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,037,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
It appears that this psychology topic has turned political,
Lol this is actually not the first one though.. There was one a couple of months ago where the OP compared the election to being physically violated, or assaulted (or something to that effect). There were a couple of posters who had actually been assaulted in their life who took offense to that as well..

But they're all the same.. SO much gloom and doom. SO many dark clouds. SO many people unable to cope, etc... "Trump is going to destroy us all because XYZ! ....but I don't want to turn this into a political discussion."

Political or no, these definitely belong in the psych forum though IMO - and I don't mean that as an insult. I honestly suspect most of these people have issues that were just brought to the surface by the election.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:35 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Speaking only for myself, I do not mind topic drift as long as the discussion remains polite and respectful. I do mind topics that turn into tirades between two persons who monopolize the topic.

Anybody who goes off topic should at least address the topic to some degree in each post.

The final defense is to quit reading the topic. Cancel your subscription. There are more interesting discussions on this forum than any one person could possibly follow.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:39 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
You miss the point. The anxiety is not about "mean" Trump supporters. The anxiety is caused by being very concerned about the moves Trump is making that affect not only each of us and many others across the US, but what he does that can affect peace in the world. He has already offended 3 allies. This is what keeps me up at night, not you Trump followers.
But at the same time, I do know people who are worried about (and have had) unpleasant confrontations if they wear their pink hats or safety pins or BLM shirts out in public or have bumper stickers on their cars. Sure, it might be considered putting oneself out there expressing a political view, but that doesn't warrant property damage or insults in a country that values freedom of speech.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:51 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,566,266 times
He causes me anxiety as well. I often wonder why he didn't produce any sort of medical record from a primary care doctor. Maybe he has been treated for some sort of a mental condition in the past and he didn't want us to know. Many people suffer from some sort of a mental disorder, as long as you seek help, you should never be ashamed to admit it. I know people who are prescribed medicine but are in refusal to take!

I guess the only way to deal with it, is hope for the best and hope that if things start getting so out of control, that those in government will step up to the plate and put him in his place. You can always complain to your state politicians.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But at the same time, I do know people who are worried about (and have had) unpleasant confrontations if they wear their pink hats or safety pins or BLM shirts out in public or have bumper stickers on their cars. Sure, it might be considered putting oneself out there expressing a political view, but that doesn't warrant property damage or insults in a country that values freedom of speech.
I agree.

But are we gonna pretend like its just the vagina hat people who are having unpleasant confrontations?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9r__DARZ8Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnERQIhsCFc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o44Z824B_ks

In the interest of this civility that you anti-Trump people keep going on about I'll refrain from calling you a hypocrite this time. But if you ignore the things your own side is doing while continuing to play the victim, then it seems you're a little.... selective with your outrage and anxiety.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:07 AM

3 posts, read 1,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
You make this political and say i tis not political?

I am not too happy with it but I am annoyed about all the whining around me.
This.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:18 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post

In the interest of this civility that you anti-Trump people keep going on about I'll refrain from calling you a hypocrite this time. But if you ignore the things your own side is doing while continuing to play the victim, then it seems you're a little.... selective with your outrage and anxiety.
I don't disagree that everyone should be able to peacefully assemble and express themselves. But lets also not forget that a Mosque in Texas was set on fire and destroyed shortly after the immigration order was signed. The SPLC has had hundreds of reports of hate crimes after the election. That's not just a fistfight in a protest mob because emotions are running high. There's been bad behavior on both sides of the spectrum, but I'm not seeing it to the same extent coming from left, I'm just not. There are many American citizens who don't feel safe to express themselves, and they're not just being "snowflakes."

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 02-04-2017 at 10:32 AM..

Old 02-04-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I don't disagree that everyone should be able to peacefully assemble and express themselves. But lets also not forget that a Mosque in Texas was set on fire shortly after the immigration order was signed. That's not just a fistfight because emotions are running high. There are many American citizens who don't feel safe to express themselves, and they're not just being "snowflakes."
You completely ignored what I said and twisted **** back around to Trump supporters. And to think that I held off on calling you a hypocrite again.

You people deserve to suffer from every bit of anxiety, depression, and misery that comes your way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies