Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 07:05 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,499,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
No. BUT...here in my state nurse practitioners are allowed to write prescriptions. I haven't seen my Dr in over a year. Its a matter of training, and varies from state to state. So push for it in your state!
Good to know! Moved from NJ to NC after retiring. Nice to know there are still progressive ideas around! Sometimes it's hard when you live in a state that views Attila-the-Hun as a bleeding-heart liberal!

Old 02-02-2017, 07:05 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,120,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
It's much easier than everyone in DC is making it out to be. You don't remove it, you modify it in place by getting rid of the bad parts and introduce the new parts. For starters they should allow insurance to be sold across state lines to increase competition to lower prices, add tort reform and price control laws of some sort. Insurance is insurance, the details can be changed on the fly like any other insurance policy. You let the holders of the old system hang on to what they have, plus or minus a few extraneous things, and when they renew they get the new fixed policy. I think they are making a mountain out of a molehill for political reasons only.
What does that mean? You have the same company running a BCBS in Illinois, New Mexico, Texas, etc. Are they breaking some kind of law by selling across state lines?

Old 02-02-2017, 07:16 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,237,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
The ONLY people benefitting from the ACA are people who are getting it for free. THAT'S IT! All that has to be done to care for these broke minions is to expand Medicaid which is exactly all the ACA for the poor is.
I feel blessed to be able to buy ACA health insurance as an early retiree. I am very healthy and only have used the preventive stuff, but heaven forbid I'm in a car wreck or get cancer.
And, I get NO subsidy and it is about $700/month for just me. But at least it is available to me.
I would rather use savings and scrimp elsewhere than "have" to work a soul-less job(assuming anyone would hire a grandma) just to get health insurance...

Old 02-02-2017, 07:23 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,237,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Well, then, good call.

How about replacing it with nothing?

Why not entice the States to set up their own plans?

How much money should be spent on one individual?

Medicare for all would require increasing the HI payroll tax from 1.45% for employer and employee to 12+% for employer and employee.

I thought Liberals were opposed to regressive taxes like payroll taxes?
There would be a payroll tax paid but no very expensive health insurance premiums (like $1000/month per family).

Old 02-02-2017, 07:27 PM

1,896 posts, read 813,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I was ahead of the curve on this. The GOP after all the talk of repeal, repeal, are softening up and realizing what a monstrosity and disaster it would be to remove all of Obamacare altogether.

Three months ago, I said this here... which agreed with Obama's call to fix Obamacare.

Today...

GOP talk shifts from replacing ObamaCare to repairing it

Lawmakers have already started to face crowds of constituents concerned about what repeal might do to their own healthcare. Twenty million people gained health coverage under ObamaCare, and Republicans have promised that people will not lose their insurance because of repeal.

There is a split within Republicans over what to do about ObamaCare’s Medicaid expansion, which provided coverage to about 11 million new low-income people. Lawmakers from the 31 states that accepted the expansion are more likely to want to protect the expansion and the federal money for their states that came with it.

The Congressmen need to forget the politics and make something work for people and the country for a change. Maybe they can work with the states to slowly shift the burden away from the feds.
The GOP needs to decide what healthcare solution it wants and go from there. We see the limits of the private system with ACA in terms of covering pre-existing conditions. The GOP has gotten away with some story telling and will need to come clean. It's not just ACA, but Medicare and Medicaid that the GOP have will have to address.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:28 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,797,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
As a start, placing a mandate on the states, not the individual, would be a good beginning.
What do you mean by mandate on the state?

Old 02-02-2017, 07:36 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,400,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcthunder1945 View Post
The GOP needs to decide what healthcare solution it wants and go from there. We see the limits of the private system with ACA in terms of covering pre-existing conditions. The GOP has gotten away with some story telling and will need to come clean. It's not just ACA, but Medicare and Medicaid that the GOP have will have to address.
The other side of that is we saw the limits of what we had before. The price increases were insane-FAR more then the average for the ACA which everyone whines about.

We need a better solution, but no one seems to be able to get us there. If only there were dozens of developed countries out there with solutions that were better....If only.

Despite the complaints that folks don't like the idea of it, the reality is that single payer medical systems work.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:37 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,849,201 times
This is the deal: Republicans are big talkers and no action. Their only MO is to criticize and blame the democrats. They have no excuses now as they have the majority in both Houses and a Republican president.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:42 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,981,405 times
Obamacare is far from perfect but it's a lot better than the nothing the Republicans have proposed

Old 02-02-2017, 07:46 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,849,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
"For starters they should allow insurance to be sold across state lines to increase competition to lower prices, add tort reform and price control laws of some sort."

Its not illegal to sell across state lines but states have to harmonize health laws. Good luck.
Many states already did tort reform. Not all that much happened. Good idea just from a logistical standpoint tho.

The big problem is that insurance companies don't want old or sick people regardless of what state they live in. Insurance companies only want to insure young healthy people and will cherry pick across state lines.

Medicare was developed because insurance companies refused to provide health insurance to retirees or the elderly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies