Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 03:05 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
I keep reading there was not even a single arrest.
who got arrested?
That's what I've seen, too. CNN said no arrests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 03:13 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,521,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I think in this particular case, it's a bit of grey zone to be fair and I don't agree with defunding them for this particular action. However, I do think it should show or at least warn other campuses they need to be more proactive in ensuring their students' rights are protected. In this, I feel quite strongly. If this means being proactive in providing the necessary security to keep this type of activity from recurring, then yes, they need to do so. They should have and could have coordinated with any number of law enforcement bodies to ensure the event went ahead peacefully. Because this shutting down speech by making it too unsafe too speak? That's extortion - it's the idea of you better only say things I agree with or we're going to get so violent you can't speak anyway. No colleges or university should allow this to continue and I am 100% certain that if they asked for the law enforcement resources, local or federal if local is unable or unwilling to do so, they would get them.
Berkeley used its own police and also had assistance from additional law enforcement agencies. Because of Trump's misleading tweet, people have all kinds of misconceptions about what happened. LE was present & involved in planning; university facilities were made available; security situation got out of hand & LE cancelled event as a result. Berkeley was proactive. And it's not like UC Berkeley or its students got violent. So focusing anger on those institutions is simply misplaced.

As an aside, this is the Yiannopoulos schtick: spew bs, convince some starry-eyed Young Republican SJW snowflake group to invite him to campus, complain bitterly about opposition to soak up media attention, rinse, and repeat. Frankly, it would not surprise me if the agitators here or at past events are ultimately on his payroll.

Old 02-03-2017, 03:18 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,509,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
You guys do love chopping off your nose to spite your face. It's why you always vote Republican when all their policies hurt Red states.

Old 02-03-2017, 03:22 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Berkeley used its own police and also had assistance from additional law enforcement agencies. Because of Trump's misleading tweet, people have all kinds of misconceptions about what happened. LE was present & involved in planning; university facilities were made available; security situation got out of hand & LE cancelled event as a result. Berkeley was proactive. And it's not like UC Berkeley or its students got violent. So focusing anger on those institutions is simply misplaced.

As an aside, this is the Yiannopoulos schtick: spew bs, convince some starry-eyed Young Republican SJW snowflake group to invite him to campus, complain bitterly about opposition to soak up media attention, rinse, and repeat. Frankly, it would not surprise me if the agitators here or at past events are ultimately on his payroll.
Oh I know it's his MO and he purposely is choosing these types of campuses for a reason. He knows it will provoke a response and usually one just like this. So what does that say? That falls right into his hands. He can say "see they won't even hear an opposing point of view without getting violent." But it doesn't change the fact that the colleges and universities have a problem on their hands. They're not doing enough - period. So Berkeley tried - I knew that - but so what? They need to do better. Just showing some effort isn't good enough. It's going to be difficult, yes, but do you want people and/or your gov't to only show effort to protect your civil rights or do you want them to do what is necessary to ensure you can exercise your civil rights.

This is why I called this particular incident a grey area. They did try, they did invite him to speak, but their efforts were lackluster and lacking. That's not enough to defund them but I do think it was enough to warrant a warning. I hope the message they received was "do better."

Old 02-03-2017, 03:28 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
Trump threatened withdrawal of dederal funding in a tweet. Berkeley gets over half of its funding from the federal government.

Given its clear disregard for free speech, and failure of the campus to protect all of its students, do you think the gov. Should pull out?
Don't blame UC Berkeley. They didn't disregard free speech.
Chancellor’s message on campus appearance by Milo Yiannopoulos | Berkeley News

UC Berkeley condemns the violence. They did all they could to prepare for that event.
https://www.berkeleyside.com/2017/02...awful-protest/

Old 02-03-2017, 03:30 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post

UC Berkeley condemns the violence. They did all they could to prepare for that event.
Then why no arrests? There were a lot of crimes committed. Zero arrests, according to CNN.

Old 02-03-2017, 03:31 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post

They didn't do enough. UC Berkeley doesn't get a pat on the back for their effort nor do the other colleges and universities which allow violent political extortion. They need to do more - period.

Last edited by southbel; 02-03-2017 at 03:48 PM..

Old 02-03-2017, 03:45 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,509,747 times
I think it would be surreal if the UC Berkley students do it again, and a real mob goes violent on them. Now that would be educational for all..

Old 02-03-2017, 03:47 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,777,866 times
partial enforcement of the law is a violent weapon. When the thugs beat up someone who could have been protected with an impartial leadership, that is the same as the leadership beating people up on the streets.
If there are wolfs walking in your neighborhood, someone intentionally leaves your door open, the wolves eat your child, then who did the murder? - the wolves or the person opening your door? The same logic applies to the Berkeley riots. Arrest the Berkeley leadership for physical assault.

Old 02-03-2017, 03:49 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,521,634 times
Quote:
Oh I know it's his MO and he purposely is choosing these types of campuses for a reason. He knows it will provoke a response and usually one just like this. So what does that say? That falls right into his hands. He can say "see they won't even hear an opposing point of view without getting violent." But it doesn't change the fact that the colleges and universities have a problem on their hands. They're not doing enough - period. So Berkeley tried - I knew that - but so what? They need to do better. Just showing some effort isn't good enough. It's going to be difficult, yes, but do you want people and/or your gov't to only show effort to protect your civil rights or do you want them to do what is necessary to ensure you can exercise your civil rights.

This is why I called this particular incident a grey area. They did try, they did invite him to speak, but their efforts were lackluster and lacking. That's not enough to defund them but I do think it was enough to warrant a warning. I hope the message they received was "do better."
First, a clarification: it was a student group, not the university, that invited him.

This incident is not a grey area. The University conducted itself appropriately. The school has to balance security, speech & assembly rights, and resources. Agitators take advantage of demonstrations to engage in violence. It's happened before and will happen again. It does not justify preventing protest, which is, of course, protected.

Police made the right decision here: they didn't enter into conflict with the agitators which would have threatened both officer and student safety. What you are offering is armchair quarterbacking of the security response. It is unjustified.

Quote:
They didn't do enough. UC Berkeley doesn't get a pat on the back for their effort nor do the other colleges and universities which allow violence political extortion. They need to do more - period.
They conducted themselves professionally and responsibly. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies