Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 09:05 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times

Advertisements

I am confident the stay will be lifted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 09:09 AM

7,740 posts, read 5,524,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
You really have no clue, do you? Obama had more executive orders overturned than any other president, not just raw numbers he had a worse percentage of EO that were overturned too. 55% of his were overturned. Don't let the facts get in the way of your ignorant Trump rant though.
Ha!

That's funny. Maybe you should read what I wrote again. I said "Imagine if it was reverse, and Obama was tweeting at judges.."

I think it is fine to use Executive Orders. They have been used since the beginning of the country. I also think it is fine if the courts strike them down. That is the whole checks and balances system I believe in. I don't agree with the President tweeting out nonsense in 140 characters questioning the interegrity of every person who disagrees with him. He is making a mockery of our entire system and country. People truly believe in him so to be putting so much belief into "everyone who disagrees with me is a liar and bad" is down right dangerous.

I think what you wrote is ignorant.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:11 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Just so you know...

The LA Times reminds us of the danger...

Federal agents are reinvestigating Syrian refugees in U.S. who may have slipped through vetting lapse - LA Times - January 25, 2017

"Vetting lapse."

Got that? That's what Trump was trying to prevent, to keep Americans safe.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:15 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,564,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate
I think it is fine to use Executive Orders. They have been used since the beginning of the country. I also think it is fine if the courts strike them down. That is the whole checks and balances system I believe in.
They no longer believe in checks and balances.

Imagine the rage they're about to feel when they learn that executive orders may be issued by the president but congress holds the purse strings.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:16 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,668,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Just so you know...

The LA Times reminds us of the danger...

Federal agents are reinvestigating Syrian refugees in U.S. who may have slipped through vetting lapse - LA Times - January 25, 2017

"Vetting lapse."

Got that? That's what Trump was trying to prevent, to keep Americans safe.
It's interesting, this all or nothing approach. Yes, there will probably be vetting lapses. Humans do vetting, humans make mistakes. The problem is, I don't see all this outrage when there are vetting lapses when it comes to owning a firearm. There are so many lapses with the background check process but, oh well.

I think if you want to have the mentality of being 100% sure about everything that poses a risk to citizens, you need to carry that mentality forward on EVERYTHING. Food, drugs, guns, people.

But I just see a bunch of pickers-and-choosers based on preferential fears.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
It's interesting, this all or nothing approach. Yes, there will probably be vetting lapses. Humans do vetting, humans make mistakes. The problem is, I don't see all this outrage when there are vetting lapses when it comes to owning a firearm. There are so many lapses with the background check process but, oh well.

I think if you want to have the mentality of being 100% sure about everything that poses a risk to citizens, you need to carry that mentality forward on EVERYTHING. Food, drugs, guns, people.
Owning and bearing arms is a Constitutional right of those in the US, and one that "shall not be infringed," at that. Refugees have no Constitutional rights, as they're foreigners who have not yet been admitted entry to the US. Understand the difference? Trump is doing what he is Constitutionally able to do to protect Americans.

Liberals/lefties are actually going to have to use intellect and critical thinking skills to comprehend what Trump can do, Constitutionally, to protect Americans.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:30 AM

7,740 posts, read 5,524,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Owning and bearing arms is a Constitutional right of those in the US, and one that "shall not be infringed," at that. Refugees have no Constitutional rights, as they're foreigners who have not yet been admitted to the US. Understand the difference? Trump is doing what he is Constitutionally able to do to protect Americans.

Liberals/lefties are actually going to have to use intellect and critical thinking skills to comprehend what Trump can do, Constitutionally.
The rule of the land says so far what trump has done is unconstitutional. Nice try though.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:34 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,395,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
It's fake news because it sounded like the entire appeal was denied.

From the NPR article:
"The court asked opponents of the ban to respond to the Trump administration's appeal by Sunday at 11:59 p.m. PT; the court asked the Justice Department to respond by Monday at 3 p.m. PT."

A proper title should say: "Court refuses to rule on DOJ's appeal and requests for more information."

The fact that you misinterpret the details of the story do not make it "fake".

The headline is entirely accurate. "Court denies DOJ request for stay." That is precisely what happened.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:36 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,993,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
The rule of the land says so far what trump has done is unconstitutional. Nice try though.

Do you even read the law?

8 U.S.C. § 1201 : US Code - Section 1201: Issuance of visas - See more at: 8 U.S.C. § 1201 : US Code - Section 1201: Issuance of visas
(i) Revocation of visas or documents
After the issuance of a visa or other documentation to any alien, the consular officer or the Secretary of State may at any time, in his discretion, revoke such visa or other documentation. Notice of such revocation shall be communicated to the Attorney General, and such revocation shall invalidate the visa or other documentation from the date of issuance: Provided, That carriers or transportation companies, and masters, commanding officers, agents, owners, charterers, or consignees, shall not be penalized under section 1323(b) of this title for action taken in reliance on such visas or other documentation, unless they received due notice of such revocation prior to the alien’s embarkation. There shall be no means of judicial review (including review pursuant to section 2241 of title 28 or any other habeas corpus provision, and sections 1361 and 1651 of such title) of a revocation under this subsection, except in the context of a removal proceeding if such revocation provides the sole ground for removal under section 1227(a)(1)(B) of this title.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
The rule of the land says so far what trump has done is unconstitutional.
How so? Exactly which Constitutional right and of whom's is he violating?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies