Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 06:36 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,216,195 times

Advertisements

I really thought his comments were fine- not going, people knows how he feels, visit Twitter. Didn't take anything away form the team as a whole.

I would be equally fine with someone who was conservative addressing the issue in the same manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 12:48 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i disagree, there were a lot of athletes that have not gone to the white house because of their political leanings in the past, and not just obamas white house either. every president has been snubbed by athletes in the past. in fact every president has been snubbed by a lot of people in the past, this is nothing new.

you cant force someone to go something they dont want to do. many years ago i worked at a summer resort, and president clinton visited the dining room for lunch one day. it so happened that there were a number of us employees sitting in the break room after finishing lunch, and a secret service agent poked her head into the room and said that we needed to be wanded if we wanted to meet the president, and we didnt want to meet the and we told her so. so she said ok we just had to either stay in the break room of leave the building. since i needed to get some sleep before i went to work that night, i ultimately left the building.

and part of the reason ws that i didnt want to be part of a dog and pony show.
There's these things called respect, decency and propriety. Trump is the president. That means he holds the presidency. The presidency is important. The presidency is the highest political job in this country.

I didn't say "FORCE" anyone to do anything. That's absurd. If you're not a total turd, no one should have to force you to do the right thing. If the protocol of winning a championship calls for visiting the president, you go visit the damn president unless you're dead.

Screw Trump....i don't give a damn about him. I'm a patriotic American, and i hold the office of the presidency in high regard. If i'm supposed to visit Trump, i'm visiting Trump. I'm gonna smile, shake his hand, show him the proper respect, and act like my parents raised me to act in such situations...like a gentleman.

Some of you folks hold your personal politics (which are usually nonsensical anyway) in higher regard than you hold our institutions, and you have the nerve to call yourselves patriotic Americans. You're not Patriots...you're crybaby jingoists.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:50 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,328,867 times
fake outrage.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:54 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
"Trump's America"? How thoroughly fascist. Trump would be pleased.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:55 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,915,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
That's his choice, but he doesn't have to be a weiner about it.

Brady didn't visit the White House when Barrack was president and the Pats won the Superbowl, but he didn't make a big fuss over it.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/ma...055549200.html
He's actually being pretty calm about it. I've seen bigger "fusses" about people not visiting Obama.

And he, like them, have every right to these actions/feelings - part of what makes America great. You can basically say "sc**w you" to the President.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
He's actually being pretty calm about it. I've seen bigger "fusses" about people not visiting Obama.

And he, like them, have every right to these actions/feelings - part of what makes America great. You can basically say "sc**w you" to the President.
Yeah, but you shouldn't.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:24 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,907,598 times
I applaud and salute Americans who have the courage to stand up for what they believe in.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:28 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,915,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah, but you shouldn't.
I generally agree - even though I find Trump to be a total tool, I'd still go and show respect of the office he occupies.

But I also support people's free speech.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
I applaud and salute Americans who have the courage to stand up for what they believe in.
You can stand up for what you believe in while respecting the office of the presidency. It really doesn't take courage to diss Trump or refuse to visit the White House because you don't like the occupant. At this point, that's pretty easy since everyone seems to think such behaviour is cute if THEY don't like the present occupant.

It takes more courage to go the White House and show respect and courtesy to a man that you didn't vote for and don't have confidence in. The ceremony takes a few minutes....you won't be there long. There will be plenty of time AFTER the ceremony to disagree with Trump and protest if that's what you choose to do.

Geez....where are the all the patriots in this country?

Old 02-06-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I generally agree - but I also support people's free speech.
So do i...but there's a place and time for everything. Going to the White House won't preclude any citizen from exercising free speech. But if we don't at least show some respect to the office, then the whole situation just gets progressively worse.

I couldn't stand the sight of W Bush, but if invited to the White House, i would've shaken his hand, looked him in the eye, and addressed him as Mr. President. I wouldn't have passed up the opportunity to see him.

Then when i left the White House, i'd have called him a worthless sonofabytch.

I guess i'm old school. I still believe that when your president calls, you get moving. Right now, i've got no use for Trump. Didn't vote for him, don't like the fact that he won.

But if Trump called me right now and told me to come to Washington because he needs me to do something, i'm there. I'm able to compartmentalize my personal sentiments and put my country first.

I don't think Democrats should serve in his administration for political reasons, but of course, if he asks for their help, they should help him in any way they can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies