Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2017, 05:52 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,031,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
And they get to pick and choose who they help. Good Catholic, no problem. Atheist, not so much. The charity idead is simply a mask for people who have no clue how to fix our healthcare system to wear.
This is huge!

I have made my needs know for years, and my local social services office has been the only "charity" to step up and meet my needs over the years.

I do not have a religious bone in my body. I think religion is a nasty cult and the bible is a fictional piece wrote by a crazy man thousands of years ago .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 05:55 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,031,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
So you think these charities could take care of our entire population's healthcare needs consistently and effectively without question? Can they take care of the thousands of people with cancer who will need a lifetime's worth of medical care? They'll also be taking care of people's routine health needs; checkups, preventative care, etc.? And what about the elderly? Can they also take care of them while fulfilling all of those other obligations?

Charities are fine for the small stuff but not the health needs of an entire nation. That's just not feasible in any stretch of the imagination. Only universal coverage can do something like that. Another poster stated that he didn't mind paying taxes for bridges because it's for the "general welfare". Well if anything should be funded by taxes for the "general welfare" it should be guaranteed healthcare for all. We all need it and we all use it.

None of the Republican ACA replacement plans are even worth the paper they're written on. That's why they're getting such backlash from all corners of the nation these days. It's just now dawning on a lot of them that Obamacare and the ACA are one in the same and Trump lied to them about a decent replacement.

People don't want to lose their coverage. If they do how do you think the Republicans are going to fair in the mid terms next year when they'll be taking the full brunt of the anger from all the people who will be kicked off their insurance? I don't know about you but I don't think that's going look very favorable for them.
No kidding. I do not understand how people were so stupid. I had an acquaintance argue that Obamacare sucks, yet she had not idea that the free Medicaid her children and her were received was provided by....wait for it....Obamacare.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:08 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I remember what it's like to not have insurance. It is he l l. You don't go to the dr. If your friends ask you to go hiking, you think about if you fell and broke your ankle, etc. It makes you think about everything you do. It's a type of prison. I actually took fish antibiotics bc I could buy them otc. I had an ear infection and it cost me $700. I worked 60 hours a week but the company labeled me part time to not offer any insurance. A lot of female oriented businesses don't even have any insurance bc they think you have a man who has it.

Can you tell me more about fish antibiotics? Did they work?

35-40 hours a week is considered full time. Did you go to HR and try to get that changed?

Old 02-17-2017, 06:35 AM

57,228 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
That's great!

If I make over 16k, I am mandated to purchase it on my own with my three part-time jobs for a couple hundred dollar policy a month that I don't use and can't afford.
What health care coverage do you have, or are you just going to wait until you get sick and show up at the hospital.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:37 AM

57,228 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Don't complete line 61 of your 1040 tax form.

While approved by the Supreme Court, the Obamacare mandate was unconstitutional because Americans cannot be compelled to buy health insurance, or to buy anything. To force people to buy something they don't want is tyranny.

President Trump did not actually terminate the requirement to buy health insurance, but he tweaked the rules so enforcement is very unlikely to occur. The previously mandatory disclosure of buying healthcare insurance will instead be voluntary.

In effect, we all become holders of undocumented health insurance policies, and the requirement to buy health insurance is no longer really a requirement.
It will be interesting to see how the GOP's new plan will work if they don't have mandatory membership, I don't see how any plan can work without a requirement.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:52 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsywicket View Post
Who said I didn't get sick? I had no insurance at one point in my life when I shattered my ankle and had to undergo two surgeries. I paid for all of it. Growing up, my brother had a staph infection in his arm, starting when he was 3 years old. He was hospitalized multiple times and my parents didn't have health insurance, but my brother was never denied medical help and my parents never declared bankruptcy because they arranged payment plans and we all lived on a budget that excluded things like vacations or dining out or cable TV, etc., until the medical bills got paid. That's how you handle life.
6 months of chemo and associated medical costs was $500,000 if I was to pay for it myself. In my first year out of treatment, my scans and follow up appointments were at least another $50,000. I was 23, and even with insurance and a decent entry level job, every last penny went to medical care. Dining out, vacations, cable tv? Hah. It's 6 years later and I still live with roommates despite making nearly double the salary I made when I was diagnosed, and I do/have none of those things. I make a decent salary and really don't know that I will ever be able to afford to buy a house or have kids due to the financial hit I took throughout my 20s due to cancer, despite living frugally and saving where ever I could before my illness.

I have not yet made $500,000 in my life. Even if what my hospital billed my insurance was cut by half, how on earth does someone pay for that? And I was lucky - I was cured and able to get back to my life and am about to finish up a master's degree paid for by my employer in order to demand a higher income. I wasn't dramatically cognitively impaired long-term by my treatment. I don't need years of expensive maintenance chemo, replacement of prosthetics, or medication to replace various hormones that my body no longer makes.

I was denied health insurance due to minor and unrelated pre-existing conditions 4 months before my diagnosis, and was lucky to have the ability to move cross-country for an entry level job in the middle of the recession that had insurance.

It didn't have to be cancer. It could have been MS, schizophrenia, Chrone's disease, a bad reaction to an antibiotic resulting in nerve damage, kidney failure, or diabetes. Quite a few of my college friends experienced those expensive ailments within a few years of graduation. How do those people just pay it off? How do people with chronic illnesses ever get ahead of their bills?

You have *no* idea what things cost if you think that's a possibility for anyone but the wealthiest Americans. And if you think a hospital is just going to write it off or that charity can handle the needs, you're the one that needs a doctor.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:55 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
It will be interesting to see how the GOP's new plan will work if they don't have mandatory membership, I don't see how any plan can work without a requirement.
Canada's works. No, I do not expect the GOP to go here, I was just answering your thought.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:13 AM

36,494 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsywicket View Post
I remember what it was like not to have insurance either. Yes, it is really concerning. I still went to the minor emergency clinic when I was sick and paid for my appointments and medications and it was expensive and it really set me back as far as my budget was concerned, but that does not entitle the government to force me to purchase insurance
For a long period of time I nor my kids had health insurance. Couldn't afford a private policy. I did purchase the school insurance package for roughly 20$ thankfully because one broke his arm. If we were sick we went to the health department. They charge on a sliding scale according to income or we went to a clinic or I went to the university infirmary. Anything more serious we made payments.
Back then they didnt have all these assistance programs paid for by tax dollars or if they did no one told me. We did just fine.

The only problem I saw that need to be addressed pre OBC was preexisting condition coverage and the expensive cost of cobra.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:21 AM

36,494 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
How did it work all those years prior to mandatory membership?
You do realize many still have no health coverage. Its only mandatory payments, not membership, if you don't qualify for free coverage.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:23 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
How did it work all those years prior to mandatory membership?
For many it didn't.

Quote:
You do realize many still have no health coverage. Its only mandatory payments, not membership, if you don't qualify for free coverage.
Indeed and even those with coverage but not making a lot of money can't use it as they can't pay the co-pays and deductibles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies