Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2017, 07:28 AM

4,582 posts, read 3,409,523 times

Advertisements

About the fish anti-biotics. They do work, they are sold as fish-mox (500mg amoxicillin) and fish-pen (penicillin). Until recently, you could get the over the counter at Walmart, about $12.99 for 100 capsules. They were the EXACT same thing you would get with a prescription. I was skeptical, until reading that groups like the Pacific coast trail club recommended you carry them on long distance hikes if you got I'll and were days away from reaching medical attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 08:27 AM

5,994 posts, read 3,734,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsywicket View Post
Who said I didn't get sick? I had no insurance at one point in my life when I shattered my ankle and had to undergo two surgeries. I paid for all of it. Growing up, my brother had a staph infection in his arm, starting when he was 3 years old. He was hospitalized multiple times and my parents didn't have health insurance, but my brother was never denied medical help and my parents never declared bankruptcy because they arranged payment plans and we all lived on a budget that excluded things like vacations or dining out or cable TV, etc., until the medical bills got paid. That's how you handle life.
Well good for you. A long time ago the price of medical care was somewhat reasonable. I too remember my parents paid out of pocket for almost all of our healthcare needs. Back then it was doable and it didn't require us to forego dining out, vacations, etc. But to equate those times with today is simply unrealistic.

You know as well as I that there are very very few people who could pay out of pocket for extensive medical care these days. To believe otherwise is a complete detachment from reality. So, what was the answer? Why, medical insurance of course. And for a long time it was affordable since the price of healthcare was still at reasonable levels.

But as healthcare costs rose so did the price of insurance. So much so that now even that is becoming unaffordable. Insurance companies were in the business of denying the very people who needed them the most; those with pre-existing conditions and the elderly. They were unable to even buy a policy.

Now we have one of the worst healthcare systems in the world in terms of delivery. It's a complete mess, even with the ACA. But now that people have had a taste of what it's like to get coverage without the fear of being turned down due to pre-existing conditions, they don't want to give that up and they shouldn't have to. The health and well-being of each citizen is a responsibility of ours as a nation. More so than your bridges.

Last edited by ahzzie; 02-17-2017 at 08:38 AM..

Old 02-17-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Read the thread. Sheesh. Replies like this makes me understand why we get the politicians that we do.
I have read the thread, extensively. The usual response from the right is to let charity take care of it. They say that because they'd rather not deal with it and sweep it under the rug.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:38 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
For many it didn't.

How did it not? I don't recall any great epidemic. We have health departments, free clinics, medicaid, various state medical programs for low income, etc. Those who chose not to purchase health insurance worked it out by negotiating and making payments.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
How did it not? I don't recall any great epidemic. We have health departments, free clinics, medicaid, various state medical programs for low income, etc. Those who chose not to purchase health insurance worked it out by negotiating and making payments.
How is someone making barely above minimum wage going handle payments on a $500,000 bill? Or several bills of that magnitude if they're seriously ill? I'll tell you how they do it now; they stick you and me with the bill in the long run. Wouldn't it be better if we all paid into a system that would be available to all? I do and I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:54 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
I have read the thread, extensively. The usual response from the right is to let charity take care of it. They say that because they'd rather not deal with it and sweep it under the rug.
Who gives a crap about your ignorant conclusions. I was arguing the exact opposite of what you jumped me for and my statement you replied to had nothing to do with that.

If you would have actually read the thread you would have simply apologized.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So when it was said that whatever it was, 40 million people had no insurance, that wasn't a problem?

Those who could not afford insurance either went sick or went to ER's where others paid for them.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:57 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
How is someone making barely above minimum wage going handle payments on a $500,000 bill? Or several bills of that magnitude if they're seriously ill? I'll tell you how they do it now; they stick you and me with the bill in the long run. Wouldn't it be better if we all paid into a system that would be available to all? I do and I'm not the only one who feels that way.
There were already programs for low income to assist with high medical bills that everyone pays into. I don't know a lot of people with half a million dollar medical bills.

I do know with much of the free medical programs the poor can generate excessive medical bills. One can have expensive medical procedures done for free and go to the Dr. for every sniffle, for free.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:57 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,886,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
One of the BEST things you have done Mr. President!

IRS no longer enforcing Obamacare Individual Mandate.

The Internal Revenue Service will no longer require tax filers to indicate whether they had health coverage or pay a penalty set under Obamacare.

IRS, citing Trump’s executive order, said it would no longer require taxpayers to declare their coverage status on their tax forms

IRS no longer enforcing Obamacare individual mandate, report says | Las Vegas Review-Journal
Bravo Mr. President!
Yet anther promised fulfilled!

Old 02-17-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Bravo Mr. President!
Yet anther promised fulfilled!
EO's don't fulfill promises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies