Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 06:31 PM

1,548 posts, read 913,991 times

Advertisements

They'd better get ready for a lot more "DRAMA! "at GE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 06:35 PM

610 posts, read 533,743 times
I think there may be less here than meets the eye. GE complains that a small percentage of professional technical staff is female and will try to balance its entry-level group 50-50. I was in a technical firm that did just that--in fact it was fairly easy to hire women into the entry-level. What I noticed is that a much larger percentage of the women fell away from that career path than men over time. Many of them went to a career that was not so technically oriented. Others had families and then went on to other careers.

I'm not saying they all did, by any means, this effort will increase the representation of females in senior technical staff. But it ain't gonna be 50-50 for a long time.

Just like half the nursing field will never be male, no matter how much they try--but I do know a few male nurses.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:38 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,915,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
How can you even compare hockey with math/physics I wonder?
Hockey doesn't require any particular intellect; basically anyone in good physical shape can play it, and yes, girls/women can make mediocre players as well ( mediocre - because obviously it's a game that requires much more brutal force, speed, aggressiveness and muscles that women usually have,) so what's a big deal?
Of course it's only a matter of "public acceptance" for a time when these games ( and players) of mediocre abilities will take part in "championships," but when it comes to actual "high intellectual abilities," that not too many are born with, it's not just a matter of "encouragement" and "acceptance."
The same principles of cultural acceptability apply.

Also, you have never played the sport if you don't think it required any particular intellect

At any rate, the issue at play is to make sure that girls are aware of all of the career path opportunities in life. And I agree with your post above, that should start at an early age. Of course not every girl goes into STEM fields (why are you even arguing that point...did I claim that anywhere?) - but over time, you should largely see similar amounts of men and women in STEM fields.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:50 PM

26,789 posts, read 22,567,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
The same principles of cultural acceptability apply.

Also, you have never played the sport if you don't think it required any particular intellect
All right, all right, you have to have SOME intellect to play hockey ( I mean you can't even purchase a loaf of bread without SOME kind of intellect,) but obviously there is no comparison between the hockey player and the *rocket scientist.*
Both can be intellectual in a practical sense of it, however the *rocket scientist* will have an additional compartment in his brain full of formulas, figures, calculations and the whole different aptitude in general.

Quote:
At any rate, the issue at play is to make sure that girls are aware of all of the career path opportunities in life. And I agree with your post above, that should start at an early age. Of course not every girl goes into STEM fields (why are you even arguing that point...did I claim that anywhere?) - but over time, you should largely see similar amounts of men and women in STEM fields.
No, it's not going to be a case, that's precisely what I am saying here.
Men and women are born with different abilities when it comes to math/science. There are more men capable of it than women. And no "encouragement" is going to change it.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:58 PM

31,086 posts, read 22,101,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Why force it if they don't want to do that? Why is it so important to incentive women to do something that they themselves haven't decided to do? This is the same thing as people saying police departments are racist because they don't hire more blacks although no blacks applied. I don't get it.
They're also assuming that an equal # of woman will be available with STEM degrees and what about stay at home moms? They will probably have to recruit from overseas to meet their quota

Old 02-17-2017, 07:00 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,915,650 times
Quote:
All right, all right, you have to have SOME intellect to play hockey ( I mean you can't even purchase a loaf of bread without SOME kind of intellect,) but obviously there is no comparison between the hockey player and the *rocket scientist.*
Both can be intellectual in a practical sense of it, however the *rocket scientist* will have an additional compartment in his brain full of formulas, figures, calculations and the whole different aptitude in general.
The point about hockey was clearly very much about cultural acceptability. You've somehow made this about intellect...

I think you completely missed the point. But it's ok, we can move on.

Quote:
No, it's not going to be a case, that's precisely what I am saying here.
Men and women are born with different abilities when it comes to math/science. There are more men capable of it than women. And no "encouragement" is going to change it.
Please kindly prove that a man and women have some different ingrained ability to do math/not do math.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:03 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,658,201 times
That why people voted Trump. I'm getting sick from this brutal gender based discrimination against men. Every company which discriminates like this should be losing all governmental contracts etc.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:26 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
GE to Employ 20,000 Women in Bid to End

Good idea or should people stop worrying about how many of a certain race or gender is in a certain field?
I don't see how they fulfill a 50:50 goal without a drastic change in the amount of women going into those fields. The only other way to achieve that would be to hire less qualified women over men, there is simply not enough women that currently take that career path.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:36 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,373,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Does this mean they will be turning away perfectly good candidates simply because they don't have the right "equipment" down there?
Just like any other affirmative action type program. It doesn't mean that every woman hired won't be competent, or less competent, but it will happen with some. It always does when employers start trying to fill quotas instead of just hiring the best candidate.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:39 PM

30,387 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Most women care not about that stupid stinking STEM.....would be like trying to get heterosexual men to take up cake baking and interior decorating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies