Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 01:23 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
This is a small excerpt about a speech Obama gave at Fayetteville State University:

Nearby, a stout older man appeared in the aisle, dressed in a worn, beribboned military uniform and holding a Trump sign. People spotted him quickly and the jeering began. Then came the chant “Hil-la-ry! Hil-la-ry!” Obama picked up the curdled vibe and located its source. “Hold up!” he said. “Hold up!” .... What followed was a lecture in political civility.

“I’m serious, listen up,” he said. “You’ve got an older gentleman who is supporting his candidate.... You don’t have to worry about him. This is what I mean about folks not being focused. First of all, we live in a country that respects free speech. Second of all, it looks like maybe he might have served in our military, and we’ve got to respect that. Third of all, he was elderly, and we’ve got to respect our elders.... Now, I want you to pay attention. Because if we don’t, if we lose focus, we could have problems.”

That night in Hershey, Pennsylvania, Trump informed his supporters that in Fayetteville Obama had been abusive to the protester: “He spent so much time screaming at this protester and, frankly, it was a disgrace.”..........
I heard on MSNBC that the old guy was a plant. Obama put him in the aisle so that Obama could appear as fair and mature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 01:25 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I remember reading about Trump saying, “He spent so much time screaming at this protester and, frankly, it was a disgrace," and thinking that was so out of character for Obama. I'd seen him handle hecklers with grace and diplomacy in a number of settings.

Then I read that Obama actually said.

“I’m serious, listen up,” he said. “You’ve got an older gentleman who is supporting his candidate.... You don’t have to worry about him. This is what I mean about folks not being focused. First of all, we live in a country that respects free speech. Second of all, it looks like maybe he might have served in our military, and we’ve got to respect that. Third of all, he was elderly, and we’ve got to respect our elders.... Now, I want you to pay attention. Because if we don’t, if we lose focus, we could have problems.”

This sounded true. There are countless such examples of Trump lying for no good reason.

You provide an excellent example of why, in theory, "fake news" should fail in an intelligent, engaged society. You took your basic knowledge, plus common sense, and applied it.

In contrast, look at the guy so dumb and gullible that he was so easily convinced that Hillary was connected to a pedophile ring. Or people who cling to the idea that Obama is Muslim.

Old 02-19-2017, 01:27 PM

26,581 posts, read 14,449,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
....Trump lying for no good reason.
trump has a very good reason to lie, his base believes them.

Old 02-19-2017, 01:28 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Rarely? We've had 8 years of seeing people slavishly believe everything Obama said and even say they don't care if he lies. The difference today is the left absolutely hates Trump and will foam at the mouth at anything he says while they were happy to go along with anything Obama, or Clinton, said.
Yes, I remember it well. I don't much like trump, but I could NOT vote for hillary, which would have meant basically another four years of obama.

Old 02-19-2017, 01:29 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times
I was surprised to see lie so publicly yesterday with his fake Sweden attack......

It was so easy to check and so obviously fake that even his own die hard supporters here on CD don't want to touch it...

Old 02-19-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Rarely? We've had 8 years of seeing people slavishly believe everything Obama said and even say they don't care if he lies. The difference today is the left absolutely hates Trump and will foam at the mouth at anything he says while they were happy to go along with anything Obama, or Clinton, said.
Not true. Obama has no history of telling outlandish lies, and in fact people pushed back on all kinds of things that he said and did. You may perhaps be thinking of some things that he predicted that didn't come through, but that's certainly not the same thing a blatantly lying, and he especially didn't spew the kind of hate-mongering we see from Trump.

Old 02-19-2017, 01:31 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
..........Obama picked up the curdled vibe and located its source. “Hold up!” he said. “Hold up!” .... What followed was a lecture in political civility..........

That night in Hershey, Pennsylvania, Trump informed his supporters that in Fayetteville Obama had been abusive to the protester: “He spent so much time screaming at this protester and, frankly, it was a disgrace.”.................
This is why the left keeps on losing.

The quote is “Hold up!” he said. “Hold up!”.........what followed"
But the article said, He repeated the phrase—“Hold up!”—sixteen more times, and still nothing."

It didn't fit with Op's narrative so he left out the sixteen more times. That way he could accuse Trump of hysteria.

See why you keep losing, Lefties? You don't fool anyone.

Old 02-19-2017, 01:36 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times
Quote:
And yet fact checking shows that Obama was much more honest and lied about the normal rate... while trump has required the scale be adjusted to display the volume of his lying.

Old 02-19-2017, 01:39 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

But the article said, He repeated the phrase—“Hold up!”—sixteen more times, and still nothing."

It didn't fit with Op's narrative so he left out the sixteen more times. That way he could accuse Trump of hysteria.

I've read your post 3 times, and still don't understand what the Hell you are saying. Those "16" times was Obama trying to calm down a po'd crowd who were going after the protester. They were not listening, and Obama kept saying it to get them to sit down and listen to reason.

Then he went on to tell them that the man had an absolute right to his opinion under freedom of speech, and was probably an ex soldier.

How you could POSSIBLY twist that to mean anything except that Obama was being respectful and classy in his attempt to get the crowd to leave the poor old guy alone, is really beyond comprehension.

Old 02-19-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

No. I left it out to make it more succinct, since I'm well aware of the "too-long-didn't-read."

In fact, this supports what I'm saying. The part I left out is that Hillary supporters were so worked up that Obama had to repeat "Hold up!" sixteen times. But this was so important to him that he wouldn't let it ride. He just stopped and kept repeating until they quieted down enough so he could make his point about respect.

Also, Listener, you seem to have a comprehension problem. I didn't accuse Trump of hysteria. I accused him of lying. What the crowd did, or how many times Obama had to try to quiet them, is irrelevant. The point is that Obama was making a rational call for civility and respect even to someone in the other camp, and Trump claimed abuse and screaming. You seem to be showing the same pattern as Trump of misdirection and misrepresentation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies