Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2017, 09:20 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
OP hates blue collar tradesmen cause most of us are in fact successful homeowners with no college debt. We disgust him because of that.
I found it interesting one of the posters said the Trump supporters are self-serving which is exactly opposite to the truth. We have never asked for help with our house payments or college. I think that is the only reason anyone voted for Obama. They liked the handouts. Responsible people who understand finances and business voted for Trump. The PC crowd with no common sense or critical thinking voted for Clinton.

I think the college loans are the reason we have so many college graduates who don't have the brains to do the job after they were passed through college so it could collect the money from the college loans. It is a racket and the taxpayers are ending up with the bill because you can't get money when they have none.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:24 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I found it interesting one of the posters said the Trump supporters are self-serving which is exactly opposite to the truth. We have never asked for help with our house payments or college. I think that is the only reason anyone voted for Obama. They liked the handouts. Responsible people who understand finances and business voted for Trump. The PC crowd with no common sense or critical thinking voted for Clinton.
I know so many people who couldn't balance a checkbook who voted for Trump.

Gross generalizations like this are why people demonize one another, NCN.

If you (the universal "you") qualify for help with college, you should TAKE IT. It is there for the citizenry.

The "handouts" that happened under Obama happened under Bush and they'll happen under Trump.

Unless they revamp the income tax code to get rid of the EIC, there's a massive handout that people of lower income get every year. It's huge for some families.

I always know who gets it because they are super happy at tax time.

And, no... they are not all Democrats or liberals. A very good portion of them are Republicans.

Me, I do not qualify. But, I did when my kids were little and I was teaching public school.

I knew it was a handout, btw.

But, that was what was allotted by the government, so I took it.

As should anyone, really.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:26 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,459,347 times
Quote:

I think the college loans are the reason we have so many college graduates who don't have the brains to do the job after they were passed through college so it could collect the money from the college loans. It is a racket and the taxpayers are ending up with the bill because you can't get money when they have none.

says the side who voted this lunatic in b/c he promised (lied to) the Rust Belt he would "bring back" non-existent coal and low skill manufacturing jobs regardless of it's effect on the rest of the economy or the rest of the world?? the ones who wont get retrained or move to the jobs? Those people?

Old 02-21-2017, 09:27 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,459,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, it isn't. Case in point:

Woman with Master's Degree on welfare: This 35 year old with an advanced degree still earns no more than $24,000/year, in Chicago.

This college instructor has a Master’s degree — and she’s still living in poverty

As to the rest of your points... Prove that Trump supporters, who the left claim that as a group are less educated, earn less than those who supported Hillary.

You can find the data here:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...class-support/

So your one anecdotal example solves everything then?

Old 02-21-2017, 09:28 AM
NCN

I was brought up to take care of myself. My parents looked down on people who took money from the government.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:31 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
I was brought up to take care of myself. My parents looked down on people who took money from the government.

Like farmers.

Carry on.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:31 AM

1,666 posts, read 1,018,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, it isn't. Case in point:

Woman with Master's Degree on welfare: This 35 year old with an advanced degree still earns no more than $24,000/year, in Chicago.

This college instructor has a Master’s degree — and she’s still living in poverty

As to the rest of your points... Prove that Trump supporters, who the left claim that as a group are less educated, earn less than those who supported Hillary.

You can find the data here:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...class-support/
Pointing out an anomaly in the data does not disprove the correlation.

Again...here is the data, from reputable sources. Not "fivethirtyeight.com".

Education at a Glance 2016 - OECD Indicators - en - OECD

https://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_chart_001.htm

Notice how more education = higher earnings until one obtains a professional/advanced degree? Notice also how the less educated one is the more likely they are to be unemployed?

Old 02-21-2017, 09:37 AM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
says the side who voted this lunatic in b/c he promised (lied to) the Rust Belt he would "bring back" non-existent coal and low skill manufacturing jobs regardless of it's effect on the rest of the economy or the rest of the world?? the ones who wont get retrained or move to the jobs? Those people?
And how did the last few years treat these people and everybody else? I don't look to the government to support me. But it is the job of the government to keep me safe and that includes deporting illegal aliens and locking up people who think it is all right to steal from those of us who work for it. I don't agree that we need to let demonstrators loot and burn. If you don't like what is going on learn to write your representatives and city officials.

This marching in the streets makes us look uncivilized like a Banana Republic.

Both parties were involved in NAFTA and ignored the illegal aliens.

Sometimes when you call someone else a lunatic is because you are one yourself and don't have enough knowledge to realize they have the answer no one else had.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:44 AM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Like farmers.

Carry on.

Yes, we lived on 100 acres and were self supporting. When the depression happened it increased our lifestyle. My mother always was so proud of our acquisition of the farm. My parents started out as sharecroppers and when my father passed away from cancer at age 58 he left enough for my mother to live off of until she died at 85. If you are putting that down, go ahead. My mother's income was small enough she could have collected food stamps but she preferred to have a garden and save our government money. With people like my mother who are not self-serving, our country can be great again. A government cannot continue to borrow money to support leaches.

I have discovered most of the farm subsidies are going to economic groups who buy up land and get paid not to grow anything on it. That should stop and really should never have happened.

Last edited by NCN; 02-21-2017 at 09:53 AM..

Old 02-21-2017, 09:46 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
Why does this always have to be brought up again and again ? Do people just ignore the fact that many more highly skilled high paying jobs come along with those "low skill" manufacturing jobs ? As far as how it effects the rest of the world...sorry, I live here in the U.S. and care about this country not others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies