Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2017, 01:03 PM

73,084 posts, read 62,717,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Lots of immigrant groups don't like black Amercans based on consuming a lot of media and cinema from America that is filled with stereotypes about us.
I would read this: Miami's New Ethnic Conflict - Haitians vs. American Blacks - NYTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 01:10 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,265,987 times
I don't blame her, the Republican Party in Hawaiʻi has been a joke for years...
Hawai‘i GOP: Name-Calling, Swearing and Welcoming Disgraced Democrat Rod Tam

Old 02-22-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
I don't blame her, the Republican Party in Hawaiʻi has been a joke for years...
Hawai‘i GOP: Name-Calling, Swearing and Welcoming Disgraced Democrat Rod Tam
How was it a joke? If two parties can be civil towards each other, isn't that a good thing?

Old 02-22-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
At the end of the day....politics is a BUSINESS and their revenue stream are VOTES and winning elections is their PROFIT. You act as if the Republican party is running a NON-PROFIT and hence are not in it for the votes....but because they really care about you. NOT! If Republicans think like you do....then its the republican voters who are the fools. Wait.......I already knew that.
Politics and money go together.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griphin View Post
Not sure how true it is but I heard before that Africans from Africa don't really like black americans.
I have met a few Africans who looked down on American Blacks. Most of my experiences with Africans have been good. I have met a few that looked down on American Blacks.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:33 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,248,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griphin View Post
Not sure how true it is but I heard before that Africans from Africa don't really like black americans.
So. We don't like some of them either. So we're even.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I find it interesting politically partially since Asians don't bow down to the Democrats and the Democrats seem to ignore them. Once blacks and hispanics realize the Democrats only give a #### about them for votes. They might finally start to see the light. Also I think racisim and stereotypes of or against Asians is more accepted compared to blacks and hispanics. So yeah I think that's bs.

They are generally more under the radar and not as "loud", and there is less of them. So things may infuriate them, you just don't realize it because they're not on CNN with an Asian Al Sharpton talking about how Asians are stereotyped.
Asians vote overwhelmingly for the Democratic Party. Don't know what you're talking about.

And really, don't worry about who blacks and Hispanics vote for. Just worry about your own vote. What we do is none of your business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Have you looked at senior management. Have you seen which roles Asians are prevalent in, and which ones they aren't?
Asians are locked out of management in a whole lot of career fields.

Go figure. Why won't these white folks address that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
LOL. Unfortunately, Asian American politicians mostly vote for the Demoncrap. Frankly, most Asian vote for the Demoncrap. So they just shoot themselves in the foot all the time - I always laugh when people do that. This election a large percentage of them broke out and voted for Trump.
In one thread, you make a stupid statement like "Asians are so awesome" or whatever that silly ass statement was.

Now you tell us that they shoot themselves in the foot, as if you know better what they should be doing and who they should vote for.

I swear, you paternalistic white folks are a piece of work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
haha I have no ideas why most Asians vote Democrats either. But in all fairness, it is kind of silly to expect one party to fix the problem. I voted Trump for three reasons (another topic), I doubt, however, he is going to fix racism in America. I doubt ANY politicians or political parties are going to fix it.

This said, AA is here to stay. It is not that bad. It does not help Asians, but it doesn't really harm them either, in my opinion. I could be wrong though.
AA helps Asians all the time. Don't forget, AA is far more than just college admissions. Hell, that's the least of AA.

AA in contracting is HUGE.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And all of this proves one thing about the "model minority" stereotype. It is stupid, and it is used to look down on others. It goes back to something I mentioned. There are those who will use "model minority" not to big-up Asians, but to disparage Blacks. In this case, it's "why can't you vote more like Asians vote"? My answer to that is "because I vote for who I want to vote for". It goes back to complaining about who Blacks vote for.
Yep, the "model minority" stereotype is pretty stupid; however, some folks are trying to turn Nigerians and other African immigrant groups into the new "model minority"...
It Isn't Just Asian Immigrants Who Thrive in the U.S.
The Tiger Mom on Why Nigerian Americans Are More Successful Than You
Data show Nigerians the most educated in the U.S. - Houston Chronicle

Old 02-22-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Asians vote overwhelmingly for the Democratic Party. Don't know what you're talking about.

And really, don't worry about who blacks and Hispanics vote for. Just worry about your own vote. What we do is none of your business.
Desertdetroiter, people are going to vote for whom they want to vote for. I don't see alot of obsession over whom Asians vote for. However, alot of obsession over whom Blacks vote for. As for why some individuals obsess, my theory is this. Anger at Black Americans. The feeling of "we can't control their vote for our own purposes".

Old 02-22-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Yep, the "model minority" stereotype is pretty stupid; however, some folks are trying to turn Nigerians and other African immigrant groups into the new "model minority"...
It Isn't Just Asian Immigrants Who Thrive in the U.S.
The Tiger Mom on Why Nigerian Americans Are More Successful Than You
Data show Nigerians the most educated in the U.S. - Houston Chronicle
I have heard these things themselves. I've met Nigerians and other persons from Africa who have come here and have succeeded.

I look at things like this. Nigerians coming here and doing well, Chinese doing well, Japanese, Korean, Indian,etc, I am concerned about what I personally do. Many persons just use "model minority" to pit groups against each other. It is a stupid thing.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
How was it a joke? If two parties can be civil towards each other, isn't that a good thing?
Nowadays, the Republicans in Hawaiʻi can only manage to get folks into office when the Democrats manage to "split the vote." Currently, the Hawaiʻi State Senate has no Republicans and the Hawaiʻi House of Representatives only has 6 Republicans. Thus, any legislation or policies they propose are routinely ignored or outvoted. And, unfortunately, some Hawaiʻi Republicans have discovered that they get more publicity by being "uncivil" towards their fellow Republicans as well as Democrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies