Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2017, 06:38 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Asians are perceived as the model minority because they are. They have the lowest crime rate, the best grades, the highest household income, the best credit, the lowest rates of STDs, the lowest rates of obesity, and the list goes on. On most measures of success, Asians are at the top. Asians have a good reputation because they earned it.
This is because culturally we actually value success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 06:38 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Asians are perceived as the model minority because they are. They have the lowest crime rate, the best grades, the highest household income, the best credit, the lowest rates of STDs, the lowest rates of obesity, and the list goes on. On most measures of success, Asians are at the top. Asians have a good reputation because they earned it.
And you know what? I don't care. I care about what I personally accomplish. If there are people out there doing well for themselves, big ups to them. And I mean that. I hope said persons keep doing well for themselves. Where it becomes a problem is when bigots use this "model minority" thing to thumb their noses at other people and complain about other races. Whenever I hear someone say "Why can't you be more like Asians?", said person is not worth talking to or seeing from that point forward. I don't care why Asians got the "model minority" title. What matters to me is making sure individuals are treated properly.

Answer this for me. If I am not being a gang banger, if I am doing everything I am suppose to as a productive member of society, why should I be judged by the very worst of my race/ethnicity? Where is the reasoning in that, and why should I ever put up with it?

Old 02-22-2017, 06:39 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Spoken like some naive folks. Y'all don't know about the Asian gangs in the big cities right?

Shaking my head........

Old 02-22-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Spoken like some naive folks. Y'all don't know about the Asian gangs in the big cities right?

Shaking my head........
I do. Hmong gangs, Cambodian and Laotian gangs. Vietnamese gangs. They are there. No one talks about it though.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
....Lowest school suspension rates, lowest divorce rates, lowest single parent household rates.
I understand you live in St. Paul. I've mentioned Hmong gangs. Why does no one talk about that here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-ju7ZTbZ4w

Old 02-22-2017, 06:44 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,173,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post

Right but that's also why they don't vote democratic as heavily as blacks. Which is what my point was. If you don't feel oppressed...you're not buying into the bull.#### and you're not easy to control or manipulate. So they're not viewed as juicy brainwashing material for politicians. On top of only being about 5-6 percent of the population. Much better return on investment to try and get blacks to vote for you.
Asians generally lean towards the Democrats, but Asians do sometimes sway towards the Republicans. In the last mid-terms, Asians went almost 50 percent for Republicans. Neither party pursues the Asian vote to a large degree, but Democrats indirectly do by presenting themselves as the party that cares about minority issues. Asians are mostly cultural conservatives and even fiscal conservatives in their personal lives, but they don't really support small government.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:47 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I do. Hmong gangs, Cambodian and Laotian gangs. Vietnamese gangs. They are there. No one talks about it though.
We don't talk about it because we actually treat their existence as a shame on all of us. This is another cultural difference that white, black, or hispanic people will never understand.

Look at the youths from various ethnic groups. White teenage girls dream about having a vampire boyfriend, aka bad boy. Black teenage girls dream about having a gangsta boyfriend. Hispanic teenage girls just want to spend $15-20K on their ridiculous sweet 16 BS. Asian teenage girls want to become doctors and lawyers.

Believe it or not, we actually value and encourage success among our people. The way we see it, every successful person within our community is a positive reflection on all of us. And every person who does something bad is a bad reflection on the rest of us. I have a cousin who is serving a life sentence for gang related murder. He does not exist to most of us.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!
Why aren't Nigerians perceived as the "model minority"? Last I checked, Nigerians coming to the USA are doing quite well?

I will just say what I think. The term "model minority" isn't really used to "big-up" Asians. It is used to talk disparagingly about non-Asian minorities. That is just what I think. Whenever I hear things like "why don't they act more like Asians". Alot of people get off on looking down on others.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:50 PM

716 posts, read 393,391 times
Quote:
We often see reports that claim that minority groups don't have equal opportunities in the United States, but more often than not, the reports omit Asians altogether. Asians, as a group, outpace White people on most measures of success, so Asians don't really fit the Leftist narrative that White people oppress minorities. The Leftwing premises about why certain minority groups lag behind fall apart when Asians are included. That's the real reason that Asians are rarely mentioned.
So, 'leftist's' have no reason to claim "W"hite people's treatment of minorities has anything to do with black's and Latino's lagging on most measures of success, because Asians do so well?!?

This is exactly the kind of simplistic view of our history that has given us the empty suit in the White House.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
We don't talk about it because we actually treat their existence as a shame on all of us. This is another cultural difference that white, black, or hispanic people will never understand.

Look at the youths from various ethnic groups. White teenage girls dream about having a vampire boyfriend, aka bad boy. Black teenage girls dream about having a gangsta boyfriend. Hispanic teenage girls just want to spend $15-20K on their ridiculous sweet 16 BS. Asian teenage girls want to become doctors and lawyers.

Believe it or not, we actually value and encourage success among our people. The way we see it, every successful person within our community is a positive reflection on all of us. And every person who does something bad is a bad reflection on the rest of us. I have a cousin who is serving a life sentence for gang related murder. He does not exist to most of us.
Well, here is my perspective. I will shame whom I see fit on my accord. Being in the USA for over 400 years, there has been alot of shaming directed towards Blacks. You talking down on other groups is disgusting. If that is all you have come for, then you are part of the problem why race relations are not improving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies