Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2017, 11:43 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
This is a serious question. Considering conservatives are against minimum wage, against redistribution of wealth, against the commons (i.e. publicly funded things like police, schools, fire, etc), against unions, against healthcare. Really, what are they 'for'? And don't use the old personal responsibility line, because that isn't the question.

The bolded part. So you think people who are successful in life due to getting an education and working hard, should have some of their assets taken away to give those who don't have as much?

Old 02-24-2017, 11:46 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
That's The HISTORIAN type libertarian:

'I’ve read summaries of the federalist papers MANY times, so I KNOW the framers share my views about EVERYTHING!'

Also illustrated here, the 'Island' type:

Older man in colorful vest and button-up shirt, holding a piece of paper in one hand. An arrow caption pointed at the piece of paper says “social security check.” Two more arrow captions, pointed at the man, say “Public school grad” and “drives on public roads.”

Man: no one ever gave ME anything! so don’t force ME to give to others!

More types here: The 24 Types of Libertarian:
'no fair oversimplifying our simplistic philosophy!'

Lefty Cartoons » Blog Archive » The 24 Types of Libertarian

Lefty Cartoons » Blog Archive » Maintain that Hierarchy!

Did that man not pay for those things through being taxed and having SS deducted from his earnings throughout his working life?

If so....how can you say anything was "given" to him?

He paid his "fair share"

Old 02-24-2017, 12:25 PM

778 posts, read 339,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The conservatives DO support redistribution of wealth by encouraging business to use thinly disguised monopolies to keep prices and profits higher than an open market would allow. Republican governments aid this process by artificially increasing the costs of entry to most segments of the market.

Conservative are thrilled when the wealth transfer is from the wage earners to the owners.
Prove your claim. I won't hold my breath, cause I'm not an idiot. But seriously, prove your claim that Republican governments encourage monopolies. Then explain why it is the democrats that support the most powerful monopoly in the US. Public Education.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:35 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsywicket View Post
Prove your claim. I won't hold my breath, cause I'm not an idiot. But seriously, prove your claim that Republican governments encourage monopolies. Then explain why it is the democrats that support the most powerful monopoly in the US. Public Education.
Republicans are heavily funded by the biggest and most powerful vested interests in the country. Thats the whole point of seeking to skyrocket income and wealth inequality. The average Joe Sixpack of course is not a member of the big money donor class and wont be able to fund the members of Congress that decide monopoly laws. 400 families in America fund more than half of all Congressional campaigns. THEY own you. And THEY, not you decide the future going forward for monopolies and Joe Sixpack. Conservatives in here have firmly taken a stance against democracy and for massive inequality. They proudly proclaim "I AM NOT JEALOUS!" while the big money donor class use their power to rig the economy to everyone's disadvantage except a tiny elite.

As long as conservatives refuse to accept that power is a zero sum game, they will continue to desperately vote for a savior that can help them, like Trump, to no avail.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
LOL, support for the disabled is authoritarianism. Nice. Didnt you vote for the authoritarian crony capitalist in the White House?
No I didn't vote for Trump if that is what you are implying. Support for the disabled, through charitable means is a moral obligation in my world. It is something a person does voluntarily and NOT through the force of the STATE.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:39 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
The bolded part. So you think people who are successful in life due to getting an education and working hard, should have some of their assets taken away to give those who don't have as much?
A good majority of people who are successful in life achieved that through inheritance and connections, the Horatio Alger story is just that, a story

Old 02-24-2017, 12:40 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsywicket View Post
No I didn't vote for Trump if that is what you are implying. Support for the disabled, through charitable means is a moral obligation in my world. It is something a person does voluntarily and NOT through the force of the STATE.
So, if people decide not to donate then disabled people die? Sounds more like Calcutta India than the US.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:42 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,708,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
This is a serious question. Considering conservatives are against minimum wage, against redistribution of wealth, against the commons (i.e. publicly funded things like police, schools, fire, etc), against unions, against healthcare. Really, what are they 'for'? And don't use the old personal responsibility line, because that isn't the question.
I wonder what's going to happen when we don't have public police protection, fire brigades, etc. That's gonna be scary. Some conservatives want everything to be privatized so they don't have to pay taxes at all. It's rather sickening. I don't think they even consider the consequences to themselves. Unless someone is super wealthy, they shouldn't be voting Republican because it's not their party.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:47 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
A good majority of people who are successful in life achieved that through inheritance and connections, the Horatio Alger story is just that, a story
Not everybody is born with a silver spoon in their mouth. I know several people who came from little but were driven to make something of themselves.

One example, Sonia Sotomayor the Supreme Court judge. She grew up poor in the South Bronx, father was alcoholic who died when she was young. But through studying hard and having the drive to do well, look where she is today.

Yes, there are people who have every door opened for them, but not everyone.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Its kinda creepy how so-called libertarians treat these people as deities. If they came down from the heavens and ran for office, they would be treated like God-like creatures by the "libertarian" crowd. I think its pretty clear that most libertarians are indeed authoritarians constantly looking for strongmen to follow. Thats also why so many have a soft spot for Trump, the most authoritarian president in living memory.
It is not creepy at all to hold in the highest esteem a group of individuals you came together to create the a document that in turn created the weakest Federal Government and provided for the people themselves to hold the power over themselves. They were so well educated, objective and prescient as to create a form of government that had never been seen in the history of the world that created a nation that people from all nations held out as the light of freedom. They are the founders of a place that gave life to the concept of "The American Dream." They were also so intellectually deep and prescient to realize that it would be people like you who would ultimately cause its demise because of your desire to give up freedom in return for dependence and "security."

I for one long for another person with the intelligence, humanity and fortitude to come forward and seek the office of President, but I understand that will not happen in my lifetime and probably never again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies