Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2017, 04:33 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
LOL. If being nice to you hurts your feelings the problem is not mine.
You can pretend societal norms say it is ok to talk about a strangers appearance all you like. It doesn't make it fact. And trust me creeps are not nice no matter what they tell themselves.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
This fits here. Some on here will claim that's not what this is about, but it is exactly what this is about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myu3zwfGGwc

Females also control themselves and are responsible for their REACTIONS. That is what makes a female sexy...the ability to control her own damn emotions and not go off on every guy for saying "Hi, you look nice."
Who goes off? This is thread where it was asked what we think of people who approach random strangers to make comments about their appearance. For many, it is unwanted. If you honestly care about other people than know it is polite to say nothing about the appearance of people you do not know. Likewise it is not polite to physically stop someone so you came say something they obviously don't care about. But those impolite individuals take the politeness of those of us who are tolerant of their behavior as acceptance. But if as proven by many in this thread you don't actual care that it makes others uncomfortable than don't ask.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Another reason why we women don't always smile in public: often men misconstrue the reason we are smiling at them. It gets tiresome to say, "No, I wasn't flirting with you. Just giving you a friendly smile."
I don't naturally have RBF but I have learned to cultivate one when I don't want to be bothered because there is small but persistent subset of men who thinks a nod and a smile as acknowledgment somehow means "I want you".

Old 02-24-2017, 04:45 PM

375 posts, read 297,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staphangel View Post
Catcalling. is. sexual. harassment.

I expect some people on CD have done it, even if they won't admit to it. So let's get this straight: wolf-whistling as I walk past doesn't make me feel flattered, it makes me feel violated and gross. Yelling "heyy lady!!" as you ride past me on your bicycle doesn't make me want to sleep with you, it makes me want to punt you into traffic. Asking me if my ******* are cold doesn't make me think you're so witty and funny, it makes me want to knock you off your bike. Telling me to "smile, you're pretty" doesn't make me feel pretty, it makes me feel self-conscious about how I look and reinforces the notion that a woman's only value lies in her appearance. Beeping at me as you drive past just scares me.

My friends and I got honked at once on our way to a school disco. We were 13. Do you realize how profoundly messed up that is?

So if you ever think to yourself "hey, maybe I should catcall that girl!" here's a tip: DON'T!!! DO!!! IT!!!

And if you ever forget this handy tip, watch this video and remind yourself that catcalling is for scumbags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1XGPvbWn0A
Catcalling. Is. Nothing close to. Sexual harassment!

Doubt me?

Try calling a cop and reporting the guy next time they catcall you, and see if the cop arrests or even cites him.

Or just laughs at you and tells you that you're bring silly.

Betcha it's the latter.

Thanks for the laugh. Folks like you who always wear their feminism on their sleeves and go looking for paper tigers to fight always hands me a laugh.

And....Really? You brought up a story from when you were 13?

Wow.

You need to maybe get a hobby?
LOL

Old 02-24-2017, 05:09 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Men will be men. If you don't want to be "catcalled" then stay at home.
That's what Trump says when he goes for the kitty grabbing.

So there ya go that's the level you're at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX Star View Post
Catcalling. Is. Nothing close to. Sexual harassment!

Doubt me?
Try calling a cop and reporting the guy next time they catcall you, and see if the cop arrests or even cites him.
Or just laughs at you and tells you that you're bring silly.
Betcha it's the latter.
Thanks for the laugh. Folks like you who always wear their feminism on their sleeves and go looking for paper tigers to fight always hands me a laugh.
And....Really? You brought up a story from when you were 13?
Wow.
You need to maybe get a hobby?
LOL
It can't be legally called out as sexual harassment but it usually has sexual connotations. It's not just a compliment in this day and age.

I can walk up to a woman on the street and say all sorts of perverted things to her no one can do anything about it but that doesn't make it right.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:43 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
You can pretend societal norms say it is ok to talk about a strangers appearance all you like. It doesn't make it fact. And trust me creeps are not nice no matter what they tell themselves.
It doesn't make it a fact. I've not defended creeps. You seem to be unable to discern a difference in a respectful compliment and a creepy one.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:42 PM

375 posts, read 297,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
That's what Trump says when he goes for the kitty grabbing.

So there ya go that's the level you're at.

It can't be legally called out as sexual harassment but it usually has sexual connotations. It's not just a compliment in this day and age.

I can walk up to a woman on the street and say all sorts of perverted things to her no one can do anything about it but that doesn't make it right.
LAX Star lifts up one side of his bum.........

Pfffhhttt!

Old 02-24-2017, 07:38 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
^ may be one of the more interesting opinions I have read on this forum that is bursting with interesting opinions.

Did you perhaps grow up in a rural area or some other sort of protected environment?

In the real world, kids under 18 routinely walk to/from schools, libraries, parks, activities, to the store, movies, to the homes of friends and families and part time jobs.

Depending on the state, a 16 or 17 year old may be driving.

About half of all 17 year olds are out of high school and off to university or employment. Some, with parental consent join the military.

`
I've lived in both, as a kid. In bigger cities, no way were we allowed to walk around by ourselves when we were kids. I have lived in mostly big cities as an adult, and I never see kids walking around by themselves unless it's in an apartment complex where they live. If I do see kids, they are in groups usually consisting of 4-5 or more. I do not see young people walking around all by themselves in Miami, in Houston, in the city I live in now. Heck, even when I lived in a smaller area, a generally more safe area in Maine, I still didn't see young kids walking around all by themselves. Heck, even on Halloween I don't see kids walking around for blocks and blocks by themselves. I DO see parents dropping off their kids in a neighborhood, watching their kids trick or treat for that block, and then picking them up.

How many 12, 13, 14, 15, etc year olds are walking around by themselves on the streets of NYC?

As for the military, you don't get to join if you're not 18. I was ready to go as I graduated at 17, but I had to wait until I was 18 before the military would allow me to go.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:54 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Anyone here read "Persepolis"? Turns out that after the Iran revolution, the most zealous enforcers of restrictive "decency" rules for young women were - older women. Don't know why that popped in my head, weird.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:57 PM

865 posts, read 623,342 times
What do you expect in New York City??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies