Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2017, 03:04 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,820,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

Females also control themselves and are responsible for their REACTIONS. That is what makes a female sexy...the ability to control her own damn emotions and not go off on every guy for saying "Hi, you look nice."
Most of the street harassment I experienced went far beyond, " you look like".

Would the harasser feel comfortable making the same remark to a guy, his mother, grandmother, wife, daughter or a woman accompanied by a guy? If not? Why not?

The intent matters.

Only thing any of us control is our own reaction. I tended to pity the benign street harassers. Others who took it to the next level, not so much.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:05 PM

30,321 posts, read 23,805,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I guess I'm not the only one who you seem to think proves your point even though that is not so obvious to anyone but you...

I believe the statement was that your comment was absurd, and it was.

What point of yours does that prove?
You still didn't watch the video, did you? Come back when you have.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Men will be men. If you don't want to be "catcalled" then stay at home.
Another attempt to rationalize inappropriate behaviors, with " men will be men".

Old 02-24-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post

The intent of catcalls isn't to be complimentary. It's a power demonstration.
You nailed it.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:13 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,299,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Another attempt to rationalize inappropriate behaviors, with " men will be men".
Unfortunately men don't in general mature as fast as women and even more unfortunately, some never do.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Most of the street harassment I experienced went far beyond, " you look like".

Would the harasser feel comfortable making the same remark to a guy, his mother, grandmother, wife, daughter or a woman accompanied by a guy? If not? Why not?

The intent matters.
Who cares. That's their problem.

Quote:
Only thing any of us control is our own reaction. I tended to pity the benign street harassers. Others who took it to the next level, not so much.
I agree. But we aren't talking about those who "took it to the next level", we are talking about, from the OP:

Quote:
...So let's get this straight: wolf-whistling as I walk past doesn't make me feel flattered...Yelling "heyy lady!!" as you ride past me on your bicycle doesn't make me want to sleep with you...Asking me if my ******* are cold doesn't make me think you're so witty and funny...Telling me to "smile, you're pretty" doesn't make me feel pretty...Beeping at me as you drive past just scares me.
Where do you see it "taken to the next level" in that opening post?

Which one is "taken to the next level"?

Wolf whistling? Yelling 'hey lady'? Asking if something (not sure what they are asking there...maybe can take a guess) is cold? Telling someone that they think they are pretty, smile...is that taking it to the next level? Honking a horn? What if the person ran out in front of me...should I refrain from honking my horn because it might "oppress" a female?

We aren't talking about "taking it further" we are talking about absolutely harmless and stupid things that some men say, and we are talking about things that are compliments that some females freak the hell out over because they have low self esteem.

The video presented in the OP, I've seen it a few times. It's ridiculous. Look at who is saying that stuff to her. Who cares what they think. You don't see any nicely dressed people saying that to her, so you have to consider the source, as I continue to state.

If some people on here want to be perpetual victims where everyone is out to get them, then I guess it's up to them to destroy their own lives. But I will not sit silently while some pretend that this is a huge epidemic that is "destroying" females all over the country and that men (implying it's all men) need to stop.

MOST men won't say this stuff out loud. Again, that is not the message that the video wanted to get across. It's not the message that feminazis try to push.

Despite how much "LearnMe" (how ironic) won't view the video, they could learn quite a bit from it, and so can others. Yes, there's jump cuts, and yes, they do use little things to keep people's attention---far better than listening to someone drone on endlessly about a topic---it does not negate the fact that the girl has some very, very good points.

Some people have chosen to remain hidden behind their dictionary definition...I implore more to actually have an open mind and listen to another viewpoint as those are the same people who so very often request that others do that for them.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I find it so sad that people would get upset at someone paying another a nice complement. In truth and to be fair, I believe very , very few have a problem with it.

There's that " nice" word again.

People can have very different definitions of being nice.

Grown men grabbing their junk is not nice.

Keeping stride with a stranger on the street is not nice.

Touching a stranger is not nice.

Blocking the path of a stranger is not nice.

Remarking about body parts is not nice.

Communicating what you would like to do to a stranger is not nice.

Exposing yourself is not nice.

If one would not say/or do it to his mother, grandmother, sister, daughter, a female accompanied by a male or a guy, it's probably best left unsaid or done.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:29 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,299,963 times
Quote:

No one alluded it did. Being a serial killer is not nice either but does it actually have to be mentioned?

Quote:

The last one can be.

Quote:

If one would not say/or do it to his mother, grandmother, sister, daughter, a female accompanied by a male or a guy, it's probably best left unsaid or done.
That is likely a good general standard.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:

"Your hair is gorgeous, you should wear it down".

"Your smile is pretty, you should do that more often."

I know, I KNOW....how DARE someone tell you what to do! That's sexist and oppressive!

Those are some examples of compliments that some on this very thread complained about.

Telling someone to "smile" for no reason...I can understand how annoying that is. Some guy actually saw you smile and thought it made you look beautiful and wanted to tell you? Some people think that means "HARRASSMENT! Off with your head you sexist pig!"

See the difference?

"Hey baby, I like the way your t**s look in that top!" Ahole thing to say.

"Hi there. That dress looks great on you." NOT harrassment or sexist.

"I would love to pull your hair while I......" Ahole thing to say.

"Your hair is gorgeous. You should wear it down." NOT harrassment or sexist.

"Smile!!" Annoying AF.

After seeing you smile: "Your smile is beautiful. You should do it more often." NOT harrassment or sexist.

All the ahole things to say does not mean you have to let it ruin your day. Consider the source.

(The 'you' is a general you, not personal.)

And by the way, for all of those who think men don't have their own things they deal with every single time they go outside, you would be mistaken. You get some men around these same creeps, you're going to have some issues come up, as well.

I don't mean that they'll get catcalled, but they do get "called out" on things when they were minding their own damn business, so stop acting like only females "suffer" when they walk down the sidewalk.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

To me, anyone under the age of 18 should not ever be out on the streets alone. EVER.

Frankly, if you're 15 or 16 (or even younger...wth?) walking the streets, I have to wonder about your home life. What 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 year old needs to be walking the streets by themselves? At those ages, you should be studying, going to school, doing school activities involving a group of people.

Why would you be walking the streets by yourself at those ages?
^ may be one of the more interesting opinions I have read on this forum that is bursting with interesting opinions.

Did you perhaps grow up in a rural area or some other sort of protected environment?

In the real world, kids under 18 routinely walk to/from schools, libraries, parks, activities, to the store, movies, to the homes of friends and families and part time jobs.

Depending on the state, a 16 or 17 year old may be driving.

About half of all 17 year olds are out of high school and off to university or employment. Some, with parental consent join the military.

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies