Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 05:20 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,908,539 times

Advertisements

CS Lewis said it's better to call oneself an atheist then to be a fake Christian as well. I don't see much difference between that and what the pope said. There are plenty of fake Christians out there. Who is going to heaven, the fake Christian or the atheist? At least we know where the atheist stands. Fake Christians just take advantage of Christianity and God for their own gain.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:20 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,695,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The ole "my brand of Christianity is superior to your brand of Christianity" does not sound very Christ-like.

Think you might have inadvertently made the pope's point.
The Pope by definition makes this very argument every day. i.e. His brand is the only brand. The entire concept of "The Pope" and his authority can only be reconciled with the Bible if one believes the Roman Catholic Church is the one "true church".

Protestants of course as well as the entire Eastern Orthodox Church will absolutely disagree with this.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:23 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,647,732 times
I couldn't care less what the pope or any other religious spokesperson has to say. In my opinion, the world would be a much better place without ANY type of religion!

Seriously, why can't a person be a good individual, give to charity, help the needy, etc... without following a book written by men and worshipping a deity that would let innocent people die in massacres and wars?

Old 02-23-2017, 09:42 PM

33,571 posts, read 37,188,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
We can tell you know nothing about the bible. Seriously, your ignorance is showing so much that to even attempt to argue with you over this would make me a fool.

Also, I find it odd you target Christianity, and ignore Islam even though it is responsible for the majority of the religious violence in the worlds history.

Agenda much? Me thinks so.

Good luck with that!
I'll wager that I know more about the bible than you ever will....The Quran is no better. It just prescribes a different way to kill non believers....Beheading instead of stoning, but the end result is the same...

I don't know which of the two religions committed the most atrocities, but I do know that both Christians and Muslims have a terrible violent history.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:52 PM

33,571 posts, read 37,188,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Err..
Isn't it Old Testament?
Old Testament does NOT = Christianity.
It's only a pre-history of it, just in case you are not aware.
You really don't know your Christianity do you? Do you follow the ten commandments? Do you know where they are in the bible?

Old 02-23-2017, 10:01 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,510,437 times
Christian hypocrites do far more damage to the religion than any non believer. But in theory an atheist would have no hope on judgement day while a bad Christian has a slim chance.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:42 PM

32,131 posts, read 15,120,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Err..
Isn't it Old Testament?
Old Testament does NOT = Christianity.
It's only a pre-history of it, just in case you are not aware.
The old testament was an evil god. In the new he is good. So which is true.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:48 PM

19,847 posts, read 22,747,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Actually, he said "bad Catholic", but then we are talking about CNN and from their viewership, I'm not sure those watching would realize a difference.

Who cares what the Pope says. He needs to take care of his own flock and keep his nose out of the business of those that don't follow his religion.

I have noticed that CNN really has a reading comprehension problem when it comes to assigning a title to an article. I guess it is all about getting people to click on it.

Seems that age-related dementia is setting in with the Pope. He isn't God, not even close, someone should clue him in!

He has some issues for sure.

So you say- "Who cares what the Pope says. He needs to take care of his own flock and keep his nose out of the business of those that don't follow his religion."

The Pope makes a statement- which is, umm, intended for his 'flock'. It get's publicized. You CHOOSE to listen to it. He's not talking to YOU.

And you say he should 'keep his nose out of the business of those that don't follow HIS religion??

Sir- it's the other way around.... Don't listen to the POPE if you don't want to hear what he has to say!

Old 02-24-2017, 11:47 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,908,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The ole "my brand of Christianity is superior to your brand of Christianity" does not sound very Christ-like.

Think you might have inadvertently made the pope's point.
It is not "my brand", it is merely what the Bible states and catholics violate the Bible consistently. This is why Lutheran split off from the Catholics and wrote the 99 thesis (not saying I support his doctrine, but he does show how the catholics hid scripture from the people in order to control their authority over them).

There are numerous issues with Catholicism which directly conflict with the teachings of Christ, hence the placing them within the realms of a cult.

As for sounding "Christ-like", what did Christ do when we saw the money changers in the temple?

Yep, thought so... I would say my response was rather tame considering, wouldn't you agree?

Old 02-24-2017, 12:27 PM

1,478 posts, read 790,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Amen to that. Just keep it real and stand in your truth.

But dont weaponize the name of the Lord in order to justify your personal hatred!

Pope: It's better to be an atheist than a bad Christian - CNN.com
This no revolutionary concept in Christianity. It is not a concept of atheism or Islam or paganism being a call by Christ to convert too. Rather, it relates to the moral story about the Good Samaritan. Catholics and Catholic clergy are in hell in Catholicism. That is an old and long teaching in Catholicism. You know none of it merely because you have ignorant stereotypes about what Christianity teaches.

Jesus teaches something else rarely spoken about in Catholicism and for which self righteous, secular, non-sinners such as yourself never speak about.

In the New Testament there is a scene related to John the Baptist in which society's non-sinners confront Jesus with some hostility. Jesus verbally takes them to task and questions their goodness. He points out prostitutes and sinners recognized the goodness in John the Baptist and they did not. He then said in the Kingdom of Heaven the first shall be last and the last shall be first.

Ultimately, one is to worry more about their own faults and sins than those of others. That goes for atheist too. Being atheist is no more a license to sin than being Christian is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies