Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 07:32 PM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
"B-b-but tRump said he'd repeal Obamacare, not the ACA!"

Definitely lots of misinformation about the ACA. From another thread moved from the California forum (the title is misleading):

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...dical-aca.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 09:53 PM

8,886 posts, read 5,368,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
ACA won't allow a insurer to cancel a policy today because you got sick. With ACA, if your insurer pulls out of state or decides not to offer a policy the next year, then you can choose from another other policy that is available. But they aren't simply kicking you off the policy and refusing to cover claims that took place while you had insurance.

So cancelled policies under the ACA are OK as opposed to cancelled policies before the ACA?

Old 02-25-2017, 09:56 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,626,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
So cancelled policies under the ACA are OK as opposed to cancelled policies before the ACA?
Are you ignoring the fact that under the ACA, if a company pulls out of the state or otherwise stops offering insurance you can simply pick a different plan and not have to worry about being denied? Or is it just that you don't understand the significance of the difference?

Old 02-25-2017, 10:02 PM

46,947 posts, read 25,979,166 times
'I never thought leopards would eat MY face,' sobs woman who voted for the Leopards Eating People's Faces Party.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Are you ignoring the fact that under the ACA, if a company pulls out of the state or otherwise stops offering insurance you can simply pick a different plan and not have to worry about being denied? Or is it just that you don't understand the significance of the difference?
It would appear you want me to say that it's just fine for people to lose coverage (even when they are promised it won't happen) if it happens under the ACA. Not feeling it.

Your state must have a very efficient connector. I'm afraid mine is not.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
It would appear you want me to say that it's just fine for people to lose coverage (even when they are promised it won't happen) if it happens under the ACA. Not feeling it.
Give me some examples of people losing coverage under the ACA and not being able to replace it.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Give me some examples of people losing coverage under the ACA and not being able to replace it.
It happened to my family the first year of the ACA, despite the promise that BO made that it would not happen.

None of the replacement plans was ever as good as the ones we had. The premiums have also increased. So if you want to say it's an accomplishment to be able to replace the policy BO promised we wouldn't lose with inferior coverage at greater expense go right ahead. Just don't expect everyone to be equally impressed.

Anyone seen that $2500 per year?

Old 02-26-2017, 09:34 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
The problem is less being able to replace it but in being able to afford replacing it and then being able to actually afford to use it.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The problem is less being able to replace it but in being able to afford replacing it and then being able to actually afford to use it.
That's a valid argument to make, but if that was what he wanted to talk about perhaps he should have said so instead of talking about something completely different and then moving the goalposts.

Old 02-26-2017, 10:05 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,383,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Lots of people will discover the virtues of ACA once it's gone and replaced by a half-baked Republican plan...which BTW they've had over SIX years to refine.
Let's be honest, no one was refining anything. they just want it to go back to the way it was. The GOP has zero solutions and now they're all on the hot seat for it in their town halls.

Quote:
When I see a virtue of the ACA I'll mourn its departure.

That hasn't happened yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
More than 20 million people who were previously uninsured are now insured. Millions of people who could not get insurance due to preexisting conditions are now receiving treatment. People can no longer be dropped once they reach some arbitrary number set by an insurance company. People can no longer be dropped merely for getting sick and making a claim on an insurance policy that they paid into for years. Millions of kids under 26 are able to stay on their parent's policies.

On a personal note, I discovered a condition I wasn't aware of because I had no insurance for 10 years prior to the ACA and so never saw a doctor. I am receiving medical treatment for it now because of the ACA. My sister ended up in the ICU a few years back and is now under a doctor's care for a myriad of chronic medical conditions--made worse because she was uninsured and didn't see a doctor for years--because she was lucky enough to live in a state that expanded Medicaid. She would be dead now if not for that expansion.

There are a few virtues for you.
Minethatbird and many others like him or her seem to lack the capacity for abstract thinking. It's kind of like a motorist who refuses to pay for seatbelts or airbags in their car because they don't think they'll ever get into an accident, or have never been in one so why should they waste money on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies