Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 12:51 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
They are absolutely lax. How else do you explain illegals guns used every day in crimes?
How can you put a human condition on a inanimate hunk of steel and wood. How is a gun illegal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 12:55 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I have always had guns, rifles, shotguns, and pistols. What I can not understand is why anyone, outside law enforcement, needs assault type weapons with large capacity magazines. Those are made to do one thing, inflict a large number of injuries in a short period of time.

I know the NRA guys will say it is their right, but I can not own an operational cannon, so why should I be able to buy one of these ?
Who says you can't own an operational cannon? Yes you can. I know of a fully functional WWII 75mm German PAK (Panzer Abwer Kanonen) for sale. Interested?

Old 02-27-2017, 01:19 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,333,111 times
This is such a minor issue that only involves 75,000 people and it involves the ACLU as much as the NRA

My anger and rage after reading about this is why social security became a welfare program. SSI is one thing but the corruption in SSD / SSDI cases is vile, it should be something every american should look at, your social security money is being used to support alot of people of all ages in a welfare scam.

This enormous growth in Disability spending comes from the fact that Congress has dramatically expanded the definition of who gets called “disabled.” Many able-bodied Americans have been granted government paychecks for their entire life, the United States spends around $200 billion a year, literally paying Americans not to work.

A lot of people in their 20′s- 40′s are getting checks every month. Their eligibility is big boon for attorneys, just Google “disability.”.

It’s all about the ease of the income,the average recipient of disability gets about $2000 less per year , plus Medicaid, than they would get at a full time job at minimum wage, plus they would probably get no health insurance at many of these jobs. Why wouldn't someone not get on disability for life and maybe still work odd jobs for money under the table?

Last edited by floridanative10; 02-27-2017 at 01:39 AM..

Old 02-27-2017, 03:53 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Every law, regulation or rule concerning arms, small or big huge, is unconstitutional.

I couldn't agree more. Excellent post!

Kansas is one of several Constitutional Carry States. Every State should have Constitutional Carry.

Old 02-27-2017, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Is there anyone else here who is a gun owner and thinks our gun control laws are ridiculously lax?

The laws are not ridiculously lax.

They are merely ridiculous.

If anything has become obvious in the last 50+ years, it is that so-called "gun control" laws do not work.

They fail, every time, to produce the results predicted by their advocates.

Whey someone declares a "gun free zone", that area often becomes a haven for people who want to rob, assault, or kill others. It's a place they can go to do their deeds while being sure no innocent man can shoot back.

When some legislature restricts what gun(s) people can own, it turns out that only law-abiding citizens obey them - and the law-abiding citizens weren't the problem. Lawbreakers simply find other ways to get guns, and often wind up being the only ones still armed, with the law-abiding at their mercy.

"Gun control" laws are more accurately called "victim disarmament laws".

And those, by their nature, are completely ridiculous.

When the Constitution was adopted and the Bill of Rights later ratified, the people who adopted them included a command that since an armed and disciplined population was necessary, government could have NO SAY in who could or couldn't own and carry a gun.

And now for the last 50+ years, people trying to use govt to restrict people's guns have proven to us why: Because using govt to control weapons simply cannot succeed, and produces results worse than govt keeping its hands off. Govt is far better off punishing illegal USAGE of weapons, than inventing "illegal ownership and carrying of weapons".

The people who wrote and ratified those documents knew that every attempt by govt to restrict people's ownership of weapons, left the population in overall worse condition than having no such govt restrictions at all. It didn't leave the society perfect - criminals would always unjustly harm people. But govt restricting law-abiding people's ownership, would inevitably result in MORE oppression and harm to those people - whether by the criminals or by govt itself - than letting everyone decided for himself if he should own and carry.

People who think "gun control" laws work, have simply not looked up the results of those laws. If they had, they would stop pushing those laws, for the good of society.
Another excellent post!

Old 02-27-2017, 03:57 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Every law, regulation or rule concerning arms, small or big huge, is unconstitutional.
I agree 100%.

People don't want people to have guns. Then change the US Constitution.

Debate is over.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:03 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
No. Our laws are absurd. Silencers, which are encouraged or even mandatory in many developed nations, are treated with incredible suspicion and absurd regulations. You can face 10 years in prison for cutting a shotgun or rifle barrel below an arbitrary length, or simply have your wife and kid killed as Randy Weaver found out. I live in the state with the least amount of gun regulation and it's routinely in the top 3 safest states in the country. Our heavily regulated neighbor, NY, is not safer.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I agree 100%.

People don't want people to have guns. Then change the US Constitution.

Debate is over.

This is why people from both political parties demand the Constitution is a living and breathing document. This way they can change the intent of the founding fathers, thereby changing the Constitution in areas they know they could never get an amendment.

Before some of you folks on the right jump all over me on this, claiming YOUR side doesn't do this, show me the enumerated power in the US Constitution which grants the Congress the power or authority to regulate marriage in ANY manner.

Statists on the left and statists on the right.

Absent an enumerated power contained in the US or State Constitutions, by what right does anyone have any say on what another person does if their action or inaction does not encroach upon the rights or property of another?

Old 02-27-2017, 04:29 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,123,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm a law-abiding citizen and I both love guns as a device and treasure its value for self-defense. However, I don't understand how craptastic our gun control laws are and how they vary so much from state to state or even municipality to municipality.

My feeling is that law-abiding and sane citizens should have guns if they choose to do so. I'm veering towards encouraging firearm training for anyone who wants it as part of our education system, but as part of that, there must be some kind of certification program, even at a baseline level, that you know how to keep, use, and maintain a firearm. It makes no sense to me that controls and regulations can be so lax from state to state and it feels to me like it almost defeats the purpose of having a firearm in self-defense because the regulations literally makes it easy for a law-abiding citizen to be outgunned because I am not going to spend that significant amount of my income on guns alone. Not having stricter gun controls to me looks like a baseline arms race for self-defense.

I'm not going to go out and do anything stupid with my firearms. They are for sport and self-defense. I do not care if my firearms and ammunition are registered--I prefer it. I wish it were far more widespread to have such strict regulations. If you have a remotely criminal history, then you need to bend way over backwards to have access. If you can't demonstrate a basic lack of ability of how a gun should be operated and kept, you need to bone up on the basics and make sure you prove it to have a gun. If you are dumb as a brick, I'm sorry, you should not have a gun and there should be something to prevent you from owning one.

There needs to be accountability. The guns and ammunition needs to be traceable. I love my fellow citizens as much as I could, not physically for the most part, but you are not entitled without knowledge and trust to own and operate an elegant machine that can so greatly screw things up for others to such a great extent, and by extension, paint people like me with the same stripe in the same broad stroke for non gun-owners as an idiot or psychopath (that's fine, that's your prerogative)--I am not part of the idiot or psychopathic squad (and if I were, take my firearms away, sure).

There are a lot of developed countries with wonderful legacies of gun ownership and maintenance and sane laws and they have managed to keep things in check by having sensible regulation. What is it that is that prevents us from doing so? It seems so incredibly insane to me that we as gun owners cannot at least greatly lessen the chances of firearms slipping though the cracks when it's obvious the cracks we've set up in our laws are giant, gaping chasms.

Who the hell is profiting from these laxities?
I just re-read the Constitution, and none of your restrictions were mentioned. Spare us any silliness about bazookas and nuclear bombs! Those require additional paperwork.

What you want is to restrict someone like my wife, that isn't so much "into" guns. She has a little K-frame that she's had for 35-years. She knows how to use it and that's that. She doesn't know how to cycle a Glock, much less break it down.

She has a couple of boxes of ammo that I bought her, and doesn't see the need to buy more. She doesn't go to the range as often as I do to practice. She could care less about my interest in firearms.

What you suggest OP, is sinister. You want to disarm my wife because you think it's for her own good. Because she can't tell an upper from a lower, you think she should just call 911.

Finally, any comparison to "other Countries" is meritless. Only we are The United States of America.

Thanks OP, but no thanks!

Old 02-27-2017, 04:34 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,123,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I couldn't believe they got rid of the law keeping documentedly mentally ill people from buying guns. That, to me is the ultimate in common sense gun control laws.
If the mentally ill were restricted from owning firearms, how would Democrats defend themselves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies