Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 04:36 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,933,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

Who the hell is profiting from these laxities?
In general guns, abortion and the death penalty are similar in that they get a lot of people wound up but in the end don't amount to a hill of beans compared to the other things we need to worry about. But you are right about one thing - just follow the dollar in this country and you will usually find someone squirreling away billions at your expense. I am no expert on this issue, but wouldn't you think the firearms industry stands to profit from this laxity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 04:42 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,125,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
In general guns, abortion and the death penalty are similar in that they get a lot of people wound up but in the end don't amount to a hill of beans compared to the other things we need to worry about. But you are right about one thing - just follow the dollar in this country and you will usually find someone squirreling away billions at your expense. I am no expert on this issue, but wouldn't you think the firearms industry stands to profit from this laxity?
Profit is good! But your spin is off-topic.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:17 AM

23,566 posts, read 17,245,407 times
Quote:
I'm a law-abiding citizen and I both love guns as a device and treasure its value for self-defense. However, I don't understand how craptastic our gun control laws are and how they vary so much from state to state or even municipality to municipality.

My feeling is that law-abiding and sane citizens should have guns if they choose to do so. I'm veering towards encouraging firearm training for anyone who wants it as part of our education system, but as part of that, there must be some kind of certification program, even at a baseline level, that you know how to keep, use, and maintain a firearm. It makes no sense to me that controls and regulations can be so lax from state to state and it feels to me like it almost defeats the purpose of having a firearm in self-defense because the regulations literally makes it easy for a law-abiding citizen to be outgunned because I am not going to spend that significant amount of my income on guns alone. Not having stricter gun controls to me looks like a baseline arms race for self-defense.

I'm not going to go out and do anything stupid with my firearms. They are for sport and self-defense. I do not care if my firearms and ammunition are registered--I prefer it. I wish it were far more widespread to have such strict regulations. If you have a remotely criminal history, then you need to bend way over backwards to have access. If you can't demonstrate a basic lack of ability of how a gun should be operated and kept, you need to bone up on the basics and make sure you prove it to have a gun. If you are dumb as a brick, I'm sorry, you should not have a gun and there should be something to prevent you from owning one.

There needs to be accountability. The guns and ammunition needs to be traceable. I love my fellow citizens as much as I could, not physically for the most part, but you are not entitled without knowledge and trust to own and operate an elegant machine that can so greatly screw things up for others to such a great extent, and by extension, paint people like me with the same stripe in the same broad stroke for non gun-owners as an idiot or psychopath (that's fine, that's your prerogative)--I am not part of the idiot or psychopathic squad (and if I were, take my firearms away, sure).

There are a lot of developed countries with wonderful legacies of gun ownership and maintenance and sane laws and they have managed to keep things in check by having sensible regulation. What is it that is that prevents us from doing so? It seems so incredibly insane to me that we as gun owners cannot at least greatly lessen the chances of firearms slipping though the cracks when it's obvious the cracks we've set up in our laws are giant, gaping chasms.

California anti gun activist senator leland Ye, arrested for selling everything from rocket launchers to automatic weapons to anyone with cash.

Carl rowan..'american government official, journalist, author"... and anti gun activist from DC......

"Rowan gained public notoriety on June 14, 1988, when he shot an unarmed teenage trespasser, Neil Smith, who was on his property illegally. "The interloper was a near-naked teenager who had been skinny-dipping with friends in Rowan's pool, and the columnist's weapon was an unregistered, and thus illegal, .22 caliber pistol."[SIZE=2][7][/SIZE]"

well at least two anti gun hypocracy activists
The DC antigun writer years back used an illegal gun to defend himself. not the one snopes claims is false. it was another prominent writer, now lost to google search.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:25 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,299,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Is there anyone else here who is a gun owner and thinks our gun control laws are ridiculously lax?

The laws are not ridiculously lax.

They are merely ridiculous.

If anything has become obvious in the last 50+ years, it is that so-called "gun control" laws do not work.

They fail, every time, to produce the results predicted by their advocates.

Whey someone declares a "gun free zone", that area often becomes a haven for people who want to rob, assault, or kill others. It's a place they can go to do their deeds while being sure no innocent man can shoot back.

When some legislature restricts what gun(s) people can own, it turns out that only law-abiding citizens obey them - and the law-abiding citizens weren't the problem. Lawbreakers simply find other ways to get guns, and often wind up being the only ones still armed, with the law-abiding at their mercy.

"Gun control" laws are more accurately called "victim disarmament laws".

Couldn't have put it better myself. Let's apply this to anything that can be used to cause harm, like vehicles, which of late, have also been used to maim and kill. You can plaster all the regulation you want on who can own and drive one, but there will always be impaired drivers, and those whose privileges have been revoked, who will continue to defy the laws to the detriment of others.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:27 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,733,702 times
Everybody's entitled to their opinion.....I think there are to many.....Should dump the FOPA right off the get go....

Old 02-27-2017, 06:30 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,402,880 times
Quote:
I'm a law-abiding citizen and I both love guns as a device and treasure its value for self-defense. However, I don't understand how craptastic our gun control laws are and how they vary so much from state to state or even municipality to municipality.

My feeling is that law-abiding and sane citizens should have guns if they choose to do so. I'm veering towards encouraging firearm training for anyone who wants it as part of our education system, but as part of that, there must be some kind of certification program, even at a baseline level, that you know how to keep, use, and maintain a firearm. It makes no sense to me that controls and regulations can be so lax from state to state and it feels to me like it almost defeats the purpose of having a firearm in self-defense because the regulations literally makes it easy for a law-abiding citizen to be outgunned because I am not going to spend that significant amount of my income on guns alone. Not having stricter gun controls to me looks like a baseline arms race for self-defense.

I'm not going to go out and do anything stupid with my firearms. They are for sport and self-defense. I do not care if my firearms and ammunition are registered--I prefer it. I wish it were far more widespread to have such strict regulations. If you have a remotely criminal history, then you need to bend way over backwards to have access. If you can't demonstrate a basic lack of ability of how a gun should be operated and kept, you need to bone up on the basics and make sure you prove it to have a gun. If you are dumb as a brick, I'm sorry, you should not have a gun and there should be something to prevent you from owning one.

There needs to be accountability. The guns and ammunition needs to be traceable. I love my fellow citizens as much as I could, not physically for the most part, but you are not entitled without knowledge and trust to own and operate an elegant machine that can so greatly screw things up for others to such a great extent, and by extension, paint people like me with the same stripe in the same broad stroke for non gun-owners as an idiot or psychopath (that's fine, that's your prerogative)--I am not part of the idiot or psychopathic squad (and if I were, take my firearms away, sure).

There are a lot of developed countries with wonderful legacies of gun ownership and maintenance and sane laws and they have managed to keep things in check by having sensible regulation. What is it that is that prevents us from doing so? It seems so incredibly insane to me that we as gun owners cannot at least greatly lessen the chances of firearms slipping though the cracks when it's obvious the cracks we've set up in our laws are giant, gaping chasms.

The weapons manufacturers .

As an aside , our local paper prints the police blotter and every week
there are several people who have their guns stolen during house break-ins.
Many just have their guns laying around
in their house or their car with easy access for thieves.
Granted ,a gun cabinet is not the hardest thing to break into but it should
cut down on amount of easily stolen guns.
Can we just deny these idiots the right to go out and buy another one?
A lot of stolen guns in circulation ,keep your gun under lock and key.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:33 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Yes, I am a gun owner who believes that law-abiding citizens should be allowed to own firearms BUT thinks we're too lax.

I do not see an inconsistency between the Second Amendment saying that we should be allowed to have firearms and common sense laws that benefit the public safety.

Then again, I also think we should make it a lot tougher to get a driver's license .

This country is full of people who want to talk about and demand rights but are often too self-absorbed, lazy, and downright stupid to take responsibility and act responsibly for those rights.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:34 AM

1,478 posts, read 789,372 times
Quote:
Oh really? Did I say Brazil? You think we get our guns from Brazil instead of the other way around? Brazil that great manufacturing giant of the south who obviously provides our guns somehow? What's the last manufacturer you heard of? Feijoida e Pato?
You said there are developing countries with wonderful legacies of gun ownership that have sane laws and have kept things in check. And I responded by asking what developing country? Brazil? Given Brazil is a developing country and has stricter gun laws than the United States.

I'm not sure what your other statement is saying. Firearms as items exported are kind of like automobiles. The United States does not only have US Made cars and guns for sale in the United States but foreign brand cars and guns too.

Some of the guns available on the US market are from German, Italian, Turkish, Filipino, and Brazilian firearms companies.

Taurus is a Brazilian firearms company and I think they even have a factory located here in the USA as well to better service the US market.

Brazil is actually one of the largest exporters of firearms around the world.

American made firearms are generally good. And some of the custom shops like Wilson firearms enjoy a high reputation, specializing in the custom building of the American born 1911. But German, Italian, and Turkish made firearms enjoy high reputations in the US as well.

The Filipino made guns grab a piece of the US market increasingly by producing reliable but inexpensive guns. Your average hoodlum in the USA can afford a Filipino gun. But your average American hoodlum would not be able to afford a gun produced by Wilson.

There are of course reliable, inexpensive guns made in the USA too. Like SCCY. The USA has a ton of gun manufacturing companies.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:37 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,223,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Every law, regulation or rule concerning arms, small or big huge, is unconstitutional.
That is of course based on an interpretation you agree with. One which as a gun owner, I do not agree with and have no problems with the proper regulations of gun ownership.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:38 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Gun owner who wants more gun laws= useful idiot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies