Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 06:42 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,931,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Profit is good! But your spin is off-topic.
I disagree. We should not chase every dollar fluttering in the breeze. Profitability is good as long as it does not damage the society and leads to some long term benefit; but profit at any cost will provide short term prosperity at best.

This is most assuredly on-topic, because one of the natural questions is - who benefits from lax gun laws? I'm a gun owner, to me it's ridiculous that someone who has a history of mental issues can legally own a firearm. But this is a minor "issue" in the scheme of things here in 2017. We have much bigger fish to fry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 06:48 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
I would have to say that the penalties for having an illegal firearm are too lax. Most knowledgeable gun owners and sellers will laugh at the so called gun loophole laws and supposed ease of purchasing a firearm without background checks. They just aren't true, its not easy buying a firearm and the background checks are thorough. They should be.
Now we can argue about the right to own certain firearms. I'd say they're probably more restrictive than they should be.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:54 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,019,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes, I am a gun owner who believes that law-abiding citizens should be allowed to own firearms BUT thinks we're too lax.

I do not see an inconsistency between the Second Amendment saying that we should be allowed to have firearms and common sense laws that benefit the public safety.

Then again, I also think we should make it a lot tougher to get a driver's license .

This country is full of people who want to talk about and demand rights but are often too self-absorbed, lazy, and downright stupid to take responsibility and act responsibly for those rights.

Who gets to decide what is a common sense law? There are plenty of people who think that allowing any but law enforcement or military is a common sense law. Do they decide?

Old 02-27-2017, 06:55 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
They didn't. People "adjudicated mentally incompetent" (aka documentedly mentally ill) ARE still prevented from buying guns. Don't believe the fake news-MOST of the MSM lied about this.

Obama wrote an EO that made it impossible for anyone on Social Security that had requested help in financial matters from purchasing or owning guns. THAT was what was gotten rid of. An EO that stripped civil rights from people, with no hearing or appeals process.

Do a little research-otherwise you end up looking as ignorant as a Rachel Maddow or some other MSM talking head.
I think people who cannot pay their own bills because they've lost the ability to understand them should not be allowed to own firearms.

Doesn't mean they cannot go target shooting with friends and family, but let them take on that risk along with taking on that senior citizen's finances.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:55 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,284,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
How can you put a human condition on a inanimate hunk of steel and wood. How is a gun illegal?
Didn't catch the sarcasm, did you?

Old 02-27-2017, 06:59 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
This is such a minor issue that only involves 75,000 people and it involves the ACLU as much as the NRA

My anger and rage after reading about this is why social security became a welfare program. SSI is one thing but the corruption in SSD / SSDI cases is vile, it should be something every american should look at, your social security money is being used to support alot of people of all ages in a welfare scam.

This enormous growth in Disability spending comes from the fact that Congress has dramatically expanded the definition of who gets called “disabled.†Many able-bodied Americans have been granted government paychecks for their entire life, the United States spends around $200 billion a year, literally paying Americans not to work.

A lot of people in their 20′s- 40′s are getting checks every month. Their eligibility is big boon for attorneys, just Google “disability.â€.

It’s all about the ease of the income,the average recipient of disability gets about $2000 less per year , plus Medicaid, than they would get at a full time job at minimum wage, plus they would probably get no health insurance at many of these jobs. Why wouldn't someone not get on disability for life and maybe still work odd jobs for money under the table?
So... are we upset with the lawmakers and attorneys who profit off this, or with poor people who are talked into applying for disability instead of being offered another program to help them find work they CAN do?

Old 02-27-2017, 07:00 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,373,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
They are absolutely lax. How else do you explain illegals guns used every day in crimes?
Hmm, how could it be explained...maybe because criminals don't follow laws?

Old 02-27-2017, 07:02 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I couldn't believe they got rid of the law keeping documentedly mentally ill people from buying guns. That, to me is the ultimate in common sense gun control laws.
Due process, if you want to take guns away from people like that there is already the means through those pesky things called the courts. Just an FYI but repeal of this was also supported by the ACLU and mental health professionals.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:05 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,373,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Oh really? Did I say Brazil? You think we get our guns from Brazil instead of the other way around? Brazil that great manufacturing giant of the south who obviously provides our guns somehow? What's the last manufacturer you heard of? Feijoida e Pato?
Anti gun nuts are always so ignorant. Ever heard of Taurus of Brazil? Of course not. The sell millions of firearms in the US. They used to be partially owned by Smith and Wesson. You've probably seen their guns used by Hollywood hundreds of times without recognizing it.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:08 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I know the NRA guys will say it is their right, but I can not own an operational cannon, so why should I be able to buy one of these ?
Not sure about Florida but you can own a cannon elsewhere. I'm not sure what the rules and regulations are.

Generally speaking my thoughts on this are pretty simple, if law enforcement can justify it so can the citizen. A cannon would not fall into that category but on the other hand it's not exactly something you can easily hide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies