Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2017, 12:58 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,569,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Our nation has done the children of Sandy Hook Elementary School and every other victims of shooting a grave disservice by not allow more regulations to pass."

You, obviously are NOT aware the the Sandy Hook shooter BROKE MULTIPLE gun laws.

What makes you think a crazy person is going to follow even MORE laws?
Well at least you're not a Sandy Hook denier - - that puts you above the worst of your side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 12:59 PM

25,584 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
So you support the idea that government should have the authority to decide what guns we can and can't own and carry?
Yes. I do.

But more to the point I support the idea that some guns should not be sold.
* Not on shelves.
* Not at gun shows.
* Not sold under any circumstances except to law enforcement agencies.

I am a gun owner (Ruger Blackhawk), a Viet Nam veteran ('68 Tet Offensive), a Republican who has never voted for a Democrat, a movie-goer who thoroughly enjoyed John Wick, and I support a federal restriction on the types of firearms sold in America.
The federal government should enact the ban - not the states. The ban would include almost all semi-automatic firearms.

I have no hope that my particular vision will ever be enacted, but it is what I would prefer.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:01 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,620,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
I'm a gun owner with multiple guns. I like to shoot, I like this culture. It's something very unique in the world.
But, I want that the right to bear arms will be granted only to people who:
1. Pay income taxes.
2. Never had any issue with the law.
3. Only citizens.
4. Passed psychological tests.
5. Over 25 years old.

And those people will be allowed to have automatic, concealed, standard/high capacity in all USA, including CA and Chicago.
All "Gun free" zone should be canceled.
So you support the idea that government should have the authority to decide who can and can't own and carry a gun?

What makes you think that the govt will confine itself only to the list you gave here? Either now or later?

That's the main reason why government cannot be given ANY such authority.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:06 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The federal government should enact the ban - not the states. The ban would include almost all semi-automatic firearms..................

Ok. Like this?

Or this?

Old 02-27-2017, 01:09 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times
Quote:
The federal government should enact the ban - not the states. The ban would include almost all semi-automatic firearms.

I have no hope that my particular vision will ever be enacted, but it is what I would prefer.
What would the ban accomplish? The guns are already out there and I don't see criminals giving their guns up any time soon. My grandpa has an M1 Carbine that's been sitting in his gun cabinet for decades. So it's not like the ban will magically make these firearms dry up.

The time for any ban would have been in the early 1900s before more and more guns were put into hands of Americans.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:14 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,620,616 times
Quote:
Yes. I do.

But more to the point I support the idea that some guns should not be sold.
* Not on shelves.
* Not at gun shows.
* Not sold under any circumstances except to law enforcement agencies.

I am a gun owner (Ruger Blackhawk), a Viet Nam veteran ('68 Tet Offensive), a Republican who has never voted for a Democrat, a movie-goer who thoroughly enjoyed John Wick, and I support a federal restriction on the types of firearms sold in America.

What makes you think that lawbreakers (the ones who are causing all the problems with guns) will obey your new laws?

And what makes you think that government would limit its restrictions to only the ones you name here? either now or later?

Old 02-27-2017, 02:08 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
The point being many gun laws are like anti-smoking laws- Low Hanging Fruit.

I could care less about background checks. You fill out a form, they enter your name into a computer, and then you wait 10 days. John Q. Public can handle that whether buying a Glock or getting Grandad's ole .45 passed on to him.

The only reason for government being notified you want a gun is, it to keep a registry of gun owners. There is nothing constitutional about it. It does nothing to keep weapons from evil people.

It is not illegal if you don't get caught. Police that!!!!!

I can make my own firearms.
I can make my own gunpowder, or black powder.
What are you going to do?
Ban metals?

Old 02-27-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Ok. Like this?

Or this?
More like the latter.

You're typical, though. I say "almost all semi-automatic weapons" and you seize on the semi-automatic weapon most likely to actually be useful for hunting.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:14 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
What would the ban accomplish? The guns are already out there and I don't see criminals giving their guns up any time soon. My grandpa has an M1 Carbine that's been sitting in his gun cabinet for decades. So it's not like the ban will magically make these firearms dry up.

The time for any ban would have been in the early 1900s before more and more guns were put into hands of Americans.

Try to take our guns and it will be 1776 all over again.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
The Laws are just fine to be and the only problem is criminals not respecting the law.

This whole thing is way over regulated and NY and Ca are actually impeding on peoples right and in violation of the Second Amendment.

It is almost impossible to get a CCW in Ca. and they do not even respect other states laws or permits.
Criminals do not respect the law. True.
That's why I would be just as happy if semi-automatic weapons were not sold at all. To anyone. Not available. Government buyback, and if you sell one you already own to anyone but the government you will spend 5 years in federal prison. You get 2 choices - keep it for yourself and your heirs, or sell it to the government. I oppose any attempt at registration.

As far as CCW is concerned, if you own a firearm legally I think you should be able to carry it any place you wish.
I agree with your remarks regarding second amendment rights. States are infringing, and they should not do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies