Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 11:41 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,649,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
The article didn't say any of that happened. The article implies that they never left their truck. Would that change your opinion?
It would if it were true, but it isn't. The article explicitly states -

Quote:
The convoy of trucks pulled up the birthday party for an eight-year-old child and the people started yelling racial slurs and threatened to kill people at the party, WSB reported. According to prosecutors, Torres pointed a shotgun at the party.
So, I'm thinking that I'm pretty comfortable with where I'm at on this one.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:43 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,388,990 times
jesus, stupidity knows no bounds.

I doubt he'll serve the entire 13 years. He can be paroled after a few years. Needless to say, there are consequences when you start waving a gun around telling ppl you're going to kill them.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:43 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,405,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The article is a pretty bad piece of writing. ?
Yep, that's typical. Dishonest, incompetent, lazy -- take your pick. You can't trust the mass media to give you the truth.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:44 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,276,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
So let's hear your rationalization for this double-standard:

And I'm prepared to wait for your answer until there are ice-cream parlors in hell!
Tell me the rationalization for double standards in sentencing historically (based on race) in this country since forever!

I'll wait too.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:53 PM

7,191 posts, read 4,781,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Ok what they did was wrong but the prison sentences were way too harsh in my opinion. I don't think they intended to kill anyone and there is always this bias against the rebel flag. A lot of Southerners also feel their culture besieged with the culture of political correctness coming from the government, Hollywood and the liberal mainstream media.

I think for what happened maybe a year in prison would be appropriate plus probation and community service.

Think about the fact that a lot of the ghetto protesters in Baltimore who were convicted of actual violent acts including arson and aggravated assault against police got shorter sentences than these two.
So, what they did is part of " Southern culture "?

So, political correctness doesn't let southerners use the n word? Is that it? We should feel sorry for them?

They USED the rebel flag. Why do you think they did that?

Old 02-27-2017, 11:53 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,231,712 times
Edit

Last edited by Redshadowz; 02-28-2017 at 12:06 AM..

Old 02-27-2017, 11:56 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,339,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I don't think the two rioters who dragged the white truck driver out and beat him half to death during the LA riots in 1992 were sentenced this much.

Neither were any of the Ferguson rioters, or Mike Brown's stepfather who incited the violence.
No williams got 10 years and served four for pulling denny out of his truck and hitting him in the head with a cinderblock. In 1993, Williams was convicted of mayhem and misdemeanor assault and was sentenced to 10 years. In 1997, Williams was released for good behavior after 4 years

Old 02-28-2017, 12:10 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,649,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
From reading what I could about what happened.

You had a group of people, driving around in pickup trucks, flying confederate flags.

They seemed to pull into a park where there was a black family having a birthday party.

Before I continue, watch the first video in this link. It is one of the cell-phone videos from the birthday party.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/297077...ederate-flags/

You can hear a black male saying over and over, "we'll see ya'll again", and then "unless ya'll wanna do something", and then "you the one who had the gun".

The people in the pickup trucks claim that the people at the birthday party were throwing rocks and yelling at them. The people in the trucks began yelling back, and as things got more heated, they began calling them racial slurs.

The black males at the party, based on the above video, seem to have been pushing for a fight, probably telling them to get out of their trucks, and possibly walking towards them. Which is likely what led to them yelling threats, and then stupidly pulling their shotgun from the back window of their truck and pointing it at them.

Pair Who Led Racist Attack on Boy's Party Sentenced to Years in Prison - NBC News

Since they were all still there when the police showed up(I assume several minutes later), and no one was shot. It seems like there was never any clear intent on their part to either fight, or shoot anyone. And honestly, had they not been carrying around a shotgun, it is highly doubtful that they would have even been arrested.

In any case, it didn't happen how you're describing it. And I don't believe there honestly imagined that they were really giving it much thought when they said they were going to kill them.

I mean, it is pretty common when in the heat of the moment to say something like, "I'll kill you, *****".

You don't mean it literally.

These people aren't bad people. They're dumb and childish, and they need to be taught a lesson. But 28 years in jail is just stupid.
I thought about it for a few minutes, but honestly? It doesn't mean a damned thing to me. They went looking for trouble, armed with shotguns, and went out of their way to harass innocent people. And in so doing, they, uh... found trouble. They poked the wrong bears with their stick, and it escalated into something ugly.

And it was all - ALL - on them. They were the ****kickers who got out of bed that morning and decided that that was how they were going to spend their day. Nobody else to blame for what went down but them.

No sympathy at all. You ever been in a bar fight? You walk up to someone a foot taller and 70 pounds heavier and slap him in the face, do you blame him for the fact that he broke your jaw? Sorry, but no - that isn't the way it works. If you start something out of a clear blue sky, you - and only you - are responsible for how it turns out. You just don't get to point a shotgun at innocent children and say, "I'll kill you ******s" and then later on say, "well, I assumed they knew I meant it in the figurative rather than the literal sense."

Screw 'em both. They can rot in hell. Society can move along just fine without ever hearing from either of them again. Best thing is that they just die in a cage, and the sooner the better.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:14 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,663,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
No williams got 10 years and served four for pulling denny out of his truck and hitting him in the head with a cinderblock. In 1993, Williams was convicted of mayhem and misdemeanor assault and was sentenced to 10 years. In 1997, Williams was released for good behavior after 4 years
Football Williams is now serving a life sentence in Calipatria, same prison Jesse James Hollywood is in, for the murder of a drug dealer back in 2000. So no one has to worry about him anymore.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:14 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,369,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Tell me the rationalization for double standards in sentencing historically (based on race) in this country since forever!

I'll wait too.
There is obviously no rationalization, but the double-standard was noted, and every attempt made to eliminate it in the wake of the resurgent civil rights movement of the late Sixties, which also put a more representative cross-section of African Americans in police uniforms, and in higher-paying core-industry jobs.

Unfortunately, you can't "fix" stupid, and recidivism is pretty stupid behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies