Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2017, 02:45 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,646,615 times

Advertisements

If "Made in the USA" stuff were as cheap as imported stuff, I'll be the first to buy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 02:46 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,177,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
There you go attacking the messenger again. If the Left keeps this up, 2018 is setting up to be a real eye-opener. Not once did I say that the Left doesn't love America, but you brought that up as a straw man. Trump's message was about America winning again... America First. You keep attacking Trump. I get it, you hate him.
It's not that people hate the idea of putting America First, it's that it is extremely hypocritical of Trump to tell corporations and everyday Americans to do something that he refuses to do.

The manufacturing of his clothing line is done in China. The manufacturing of Ivanka's line is done in China.

Trump is telling corporations to Hire American Citizens. But his family continues to profit from cheap labor in China rather than hiring Americans.

Trump is telling consumers to Buy American Products. But then got upset when a store decided to stop carrying his daughter's Chinese-Produced items.

I just personally feel that if Trump is actually serious about wanting to put American citizens first, he should be first in line to move all Trump-Branded production stateside. He should be first in line to push his companies and business ventures to utilize a 100% American-Only work force.

Quote:
If you hate the idea of putting America First, then you probably hate America.
If Trump refuses to move towards his brand hiring only American Citizens and refuses to move his manufacturing stateside, would it be a proper inference to say that he hates America?

What kind of time frame is acceptable, in your eyes, for him to continue utilizing production facilities in China before he should be forced to move production and hire Americans stateside? 6 months? A year? Two Years? Never?

Old 03-10-2017, 03:15 PM

1,400 posts, read 865,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
I just personally feel that if Trump is actually serious about wanting to put American citizens first, he should be first in line to move all Trump-Branded production stateside. He should be first in line to push his companies and business ventures to utilize a 100% American-Only work force.

If Trump refuses to move towards his brand hiring only American Citizens and refuses to move his manufacturing stateside, would it be a proper inference to say that he hates America?

What kind of time frame is acceptable, in your eyes, for him to continue utilizing production facilities in China before he should be forced to move production and hire Americans stateside? 6 months? A year? Two Years? Never?
From my understanding, he turned the business over to his sons. But the operations of his business is not the purpose of this thread. The purpose was to find out if liberals can support the idea of America First. I don't care if you support Trump or not.

Like I said, many like me didn't vote for Trump the man, we voted because we liked his message. We don't care about his past practices nearly as much as we do about the future direction of the nation. We want to win again here at home, and stop things like nation building, foreign aid, and being the world's police force. We don't care about the interests of other nations, except for maybe a few close allies who are truly our friends and have our back, and have some skin in the game. We are tired of other countries using us.

I don't think the Left can win by arguing that America shouldn't come first. We have enough problems here at home to deal with.

Old 03-10-2017, 03:25 PM

29,531 posts, read 14,684,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
How about you answer my questions first instead of deflecting?
Okay, here are a couple of examples. Now BIFL is not for everyone, myself personally I like to buy something once and don't like throwing money away. I am into footwear. I like boots and when i did my search I came across a 100 year old company that hand makes you a boot and offers a lifetime warranty. With your thinking, this company should not exist anymore. And yet there are 100's of other boot companies out there.

White's Custom Boots

Another example, is the Schuler Press company. Established in the 1800's and is still in operation today.
https://www.schulergroup.com/unterne....html?sLang=en

Over 30 years ago when i was a part of that industy it was not uncommon to see shops running Schuler presses that were from the 40's, talk about BIFL equipment ! Well, sometime in the 2000's Schuler came out with a fully automated multi line transfer press. So again, a company that makes a BIFL product, is still around over 100 years later and is at the forefront of technology.

Just wanted to add this last example.
This individual spent a months salary on a BIFL watch...and 57 years later it sure seems like it was worth it and guess what, that company and many other watch manufacturers some much more innovative are still in business.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li0mRLcGbU8

Oh, another example. In the early 1900's, John Browning started designing a hand gun for the US military seems like a pretty BIFL use right ? In 1911 after many tests the US military made the Colt M1911 became the issued sidearm. They discontinued the 1911 in 1986, a pretty good run don't you think ? In that time frame many other manufacturers came out with much more innovative designs, and they're all still in business.

seems like the vintage ones fetch a decent price...
http://www.gunauction.com/buy/11271286

Last edited by scarabchuck; 03-10-2017 at 04:24 PM..

Old 03-10-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
It's not that people hate the idea of putting America First, it's that it is extremely hypocritical of Trump to tell corporations and everyday Americans to do something that he refuses to do.

The manufacturing of his clothing line is done in China. The manufacturing of Ivanka's line is done in China.

Trump is telling corporations to Hire American Citizens. But his family continues to profit from cheap labor in China rather than hiring Americans.

Trump is telling consumers to Buy American Products. But then got upset when a store decided to stop carrying his daughter's Chinese-Produced items.

Who gives a flying ****, he will be gone after 4 years and our country and myself will hopefully be around much, much longer. I won't let him or anyone else cloud my judgement, I guess I just think more long term.

Old 03-10-2017, 03:31 PM

8,388 posts, read 4,376,951 times
Right now my biggest goal in life is to out live Trump.

Old 03-10-2017, 03:36 PM

7,185 posts, read 4,772,569 times
Quote:
If you hate the idea, then you probably hate America.

Trump's First Speech to Congress: Buy American, Hire American | Fox Business
NO.

When the Cheeto in Chief buys American for his businesses, I'll consider it.

Meanwhile, I'll shop according to my best interests.

Old 03-10-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
NO.

When the Cheeto in Chief buys American for his businesses, I'll consider it.

Meanwhile, I'll shop according to my best interests.
Isn't our country in all of our best interests ? Presidents will come and go, some you will like others not so much, it is what it is.

Old 03-11-2017, 12:11 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,177,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Who gives a flying ****, he will be gone after 4 years and our country and myself will hopefully be around much, much longer. I won't let him or anyone else cloud my judgement, I guess I just think more long term.
I can't put my trust in a plan if the very person proposing it doesn't believe it enough to adhere by it.

Has nothing to do with my feelings on Trump. I felt the same about ObamaCare. I didn't trust the legislation when Congress exempted themselves.

Quote:
From my understanding, he turned the business over to his sons. But the operations of his business is not the purpose of this thread.
Turned over operations, but he still holds stock ownership... so technically does have a say in the matter. Plus, being his sons, you'd think they would have a vested interest in making their dad look good and bringing more positive PR to their brand. Do you think that Trump's sons should heed their own father's ideas?

Plus, he's being saying "America First" since he tossed his hat into the ring, so he definitely had plenty of time to create a strategy to bring manufacturing of his product stateside. TBH, I might've been more inclined to purchase a MAGA hat if they were American-made.

Quote:
The purpose was to find out if liberals can support the idea of America First.
Yes. I can absolutely support the idea of focusing on improving America. From education to infrastructure to healthcare to manufacturing and employment. We should absolutely be focusing on improving the lives of American citizens.

Quote:
I don't care if you support Trump or not.
You asked if a liberal could support Trump's plan.

In case it wasn't clear, I support the idea of improving America for its citizens. However, I can not throw blind support behind any law or policy in which the policymaker has exempted themselves from inclusion.

This would include any directive from Trump regarding a mandate for hiring Americans or American-made manufacturing.

This included ACA.

Quote:
Like I said, many like me didn't vote for Trump the man, we voted because we liked his message. We don't care about his past practices nearly as much as we do about the future direction of the nation. We want to win again here at home, and stop things like nation building, foreign aid, and being the world's police force. We don't care about the interests of other nations, except for maybe a few close allies who are truly our friends and have our back, and have some skin in the game. We are tired of other countries using us.
Which is amusing because many people who did not vote for Trump also feel that we should be removing ourselves from interfering with other nations and farting around as some big, bad international police force. I'm pretty sure if more people would stop being so partisan, we'd find that what we desire is very similar, but may have different thought processes on how to get there.

I'm all for improving education, health care, infrastructure. I'm all in for finding innovative and creative ways to create and retain jobs for American citizens, especially in areas devastated by the loss of manufacturing. (Casually points back to previous commentary about 3D printing technologies)

I absolutely think our country should take a few steps back from the international stage in order to focus more on internal problems.

Laughably, depending upon the topic, I've had people accuse me of being a blind Clinton supporter who can't accept her losing... and I've had people accuse me of being a blind Trump supporter who wants to see the country implode. I don't care if I like/support a politician or not. Failures should be called out. Successes should be praised.

Not gonna say who I voted for, but I think Trump's words on this subject are marred with hypocrisy.

Quote:
I don't think the Left can win by arguing that America shouldn't come first. We have enough problems here at home to deal with.
Meanwhile I don't see this as a matter of "winning" or "losing". If we see policies as merely being about which side of the spectrum is the "winner", it just perpetuates a cycle in which people turn a blind eye to the crappy actions and laws passed by people on their side of the spectrum.

tl;dr - Yes. Let's focus on making America stronger. In every way possible.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:58 AM

7,185 posts, read 4,772,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Isn't our country in all of our best interests ? Presidents will come and go, some you will like others not so much, it is what it is.
Let me explain it again.

Donald Trump doesn't pay federal taxes. I do.

Donald Trump DOESN'T buy American products as evidenced by all the Chinese furnishings at his latest hotel in DC.

Donald Trump hires EASTERN EUROPEAN wait staff and others to work in Mar a Lago.

Donald Trump doesn't buy American and he doesn't hire American; therefore, TELL DONALD TRUMP that buying and hiring American is in our country's best interests. Don't tell me.

Donald Trump takes care of himself first. I'm not asking Donald Trump to take care of me.

I'll take care of myself ... first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies