Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 06:28 AM

25,999 posts, read 22,192,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
I'm talking more about rural hillbillies than urban ghetto youth. Its mostly the poor rural gun loving males that join the military to fight the "evil doers" over seas. Not a lot of inner city youth joining the military.

You don't seem to know much.
Your intelligence level is reflected in your choice of words. Think about that to begin with.

Next, you are totally wrong. You appear to know zero about who joins the military or the reasons why. The population of the military and the reasons they join are as diverse as the population of our country.

Myself and my husband are veterans and my son is career military. My husband's mother, my father, my uncles, my husband's uncles were all veterans.

The military is crucial to our country. I take it you didn't learn about American or World History in high school, so I see that we need education reform desperately.

Your tone is insulting to members of the military and shows your obvious ignorance when it comes to the purpose of the military. Get a couple history books and turn off CNN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 06:46 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,295,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Your intelligence level is reflected in your choice of words. Think about that to begin with.

Next, you are totally wrong. You appear to know zero about who joins the military or the reasons why. The population of the military and the reasons they join are as diverse as the population of our country.

Myself and my husband are veterans and my son is career military. My husband's mother, my father, my uncles, my husband's uncles were all veterans.

The military is crucial to our country. I take it you didn't learn about American or World History in high school, so I see that we need education reform desperately.

Your tone is insulting to members of the military and shows your obvious ignorance when it comes to the purpose of the military. Get a couple history books and turn off CNN!
What is the purpose of the military in Yemen?

Old 03-05-2017, 07:55 AM

39,266 posts, read 27,666,911 times
Quote:

If young, poor men are over seas getting killed, they are not around to cause trouble locally in the U.S.
So only the poor men joined the military? Who knew?

I am not pretending that I can speak for everybody who joined the military, but I can speak about my own family and my friends.

1. Some joined because of family tradition. They came from a family where most of the men had served, not to retirement, but had done their time and military was highly respected to them. Grandpa's generation had people were in Europe or Asia for WWII , Uncles were in Vietnam or Korea, so there was a great deal of support when the younger generation started thinking about joining. It wasn't pressure, but it was support.

2. They loved the childhood hero and wanted to be one themselves.

3. The military had great pay and benefits for a young, smart individual with little skills or experience willing to take on hardships.

4. This is a great opportunity to get out there and see the world, especially when you are from a small town. Joining the military gave some folks the experience of living in a beautiful city, and many experiences with people from other parts of the country, different socio-economic backgrounds, and they even had the opportunity to learn Arabic and have conversations with numerous people from all over the world. They are more open minded and accepting of others culture.

5. Legendary brotherhood they build in the military. Many became real men.

Why do they have to be angry and poor to join the military? It is absurd.

Oh by the way, most military men I know are very disciplined. They never take ANYTHING good in life for granted; they also respect women and love children. The only issue I have is the uses of chewing tobacco, (Not all use it) but whatever, I get over it.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 03-05-2017 at 08:31 AM..

Old 03-05-2017, 08:06 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,381,906 times
I love how libs think they know what they're talking about, then open their mouth and prove they don't.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:

If you have too many young, poor, angry, rural males around to start trouble, you end up with a situation where they start forming militant groups to overthrow the government and/or the people in power.
huh? At least they are not internet fatties who are the real angry jealous people.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:32 AM

5,901 posts, read 3,911,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
I love how libs think they know what they're talking about, then open their mouth and prove they don't.
How is that any different than conservatives who like the Affordable Care Act yet hate Obamacare? (Hint, it's the same exact thing)

Old 03-05-2017, 08:37 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,121,152 times
Isn't the US military bigger than the next 10 biggest militaries COMBINED?! Why do we need to increase it?

It's 2017, there will never be a global world war ever again that involves tens of millions of troops....

Old 03-05-2017, 08:44 AM

well, The US Navy keeps the sea lanes open for international trade and can steam firepower to anywhere in the world within a few days, with the Marines as a rapid response expeditionary force. The USAF is a big hammer that can reach any hotspot within a day and dominate air and space. And the US Army is the key component in winning land wars and securing territory. I bet 99% of the people (well, including myself) are not qualified to be accepted by any of the elite special forces in the military even if they try.

I support a strong military. The budget and the useless wars are other topics. But to say military is for the poor and the angry is such outdated backward thinking. The author lives in his own fantasy little land.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:00 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,466,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Are you really that dense?

The military has long been for a few primary functions:

1) enrich defense contractors
2) make work program for kids from lower income households
3) minimize internal strife by having some external force to be united against

Calling it defense spending is laughable. It's a welfare program that breeds hatred for the United States around the world.

The money would be better spent on education, job training, building infrastructure, etc.
100% correct.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:13 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,466,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

I can see you're well conditioned when it comes to a certain version of history. Kind of like Pavlov's dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies