Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2018, 02:40 PM

1,643 posts, read 1,648,001 times

Advertisements

The constitution prevails. P-e-r-i-o-d !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 03:34 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,934,961 times
2nd amendment: If the U.S. Constitution says one thing, and a court says another, which one should prevail?

I may not have read the last 495 posts, but I just wanted to say this regarding the thread title. If our judges were to follow the Constitution like they should, then there would be no problem. This is why I support Trump appointing judges who are originalists rather than those who judge based on emotion or some form of liberal "interpretation"of the Constitution.

Old 10-14-2018, 03:35 PM

15,072 posts, read 10,115,870 times
Constitution is just a bunch of words... each person reads them with different interpretations. Court system interprets them and applies them to laws. So in reality its really the courts that prevail.

Old 10-14-2018, 03:46 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,142,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
2nd amendment: If the U.S. Constitution says one thing, and a court says another, which one should prevail?

I may not have read the last 495 posts, but I just wanted to say this regarding the thread title. If our judges were to follow the Constitution like they should, then there would be no problem. This is why I support Trump appointing judges who are originalists rather than those who judge based on emotion or some form of liberal "interpretation"of the Constitution.
His judges will have a conservative (religious slant) of the constitution. Neither side leaves it alone.

Old 10-14-2018, 04:19 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,107,016 times
usayit has it right. The second amendment (and a lot of other items) in the Constitution are rather nebulous in their meaning. You could interpret phrases and words differently than anyone else. It doesn't help things that they were written over 200 years ago, in now archaic language, and written to reflect the technology and the social and governmental standards of that time. So it takes a good legal mind to tease apart what the meaning really is. That is why it is up to the courts to interpret the Constitution. We supposedly appoint people with superlative training, intelligence and experience to provide us with the insight we could not have unless we are similarly educated. It amuses me when some guy (or gal) on the corner says "the Supreme Court is wrong" because .... is that person qualified to be a judge of Constitutional law? This is not to say that we can't regret the court's decisions. Sometimes we don't like what they come up with. So it is perfectly valid to say "I don't like the way they interpreted the Constitution," but it is not valid to say "the courts say this but the Constitution says that" because who are you to judge what the correct interpretation is?

Old 10-14-2018, 09:34 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,503,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
but it is not valid to say "the courts say this but the Constitution says that" because who are you to judge what the correct interpretation is?
A patriotic constitutionalist who won't capitulate nor compromise(subvert) rights in vain.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:38 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,460,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Here are the sheep I was talking about. They will do what they are told.
If you wanna make up your own rules, go start your own country.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:52 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,625,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
If you wanna make up your own rules, go start your own country.
We did, from 1600 through 1789.

Now whiny, lying liberals are trying to change the rule of our country by pretending the document that gives them, doesn't say what it says.

We started our own country. Precisely to get coercive big-govt fanatics such as yourselves out of our lives and out of our faces. Now if you and your ilk don't like it and want to change the rules, YOU can go and start your own country. And see how long it lasts.

Last edited by Roboteer; 10-14-2018 at 11:11 PM..

Old 10-14-2018, 11:17 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,040,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
We did, from 1600 through 1789.

Now whiny, lying liberals are trying to change the rule of our country by pretending the document that gives them, doesn't say what it says.

We started our own country. Now if you and your ilk don't like it and want to change the rules, YOU can go and start your own. And see how long it lasts.
No one is changing the rules. No one is doing anything without full disclosure. If some action is not following either the Constitution or the Supreme Court's ruling regarding the Constitution it will get fixed. It matters not how many long winded rants you write about this subject. In fact, the more of your stuff I read the less I care. That ridgid, all or nothing stance you hold simply acts as a catalyst to those who do not agree with you on this subject.
Death, taxes and change. No avoiding any of 'em.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:25 PM

247 posts, read 181,260 times
Too bad you did not include a poll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies