Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Incandescent Light Bulbs be Legal Again?
Yes 65 65.00%
No 17 17.00%
Dont Care 18 18.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 09:07 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times

Advertisements

I am all for helping the environment and energy efficiency but the way Obama handled that made people fearful of change horde the old style of bulbs. Well intended but horrible way to handle situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 09:12 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I can buy them everywhere in the liberal state of Minnesota. Where are they illegal?
They aren't. If my understanding is correct, only 60 and 40 watt incandescent bulbs have been banned (or at least manufacture) but other wattages are still being made and widely available.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:13 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Rep. Jeff Duncan (R-S.C.) has submitted a bill in Congress that allows for the manufacture and sale of incandescent light bulbs again. IMO, the banning of these bulbs was a prime example of environmental overkill. And there is good evidence that Chinese made LED bulbs are a health hazard. See link.

How LED Lighting May Compromise Your Health
Mercola is a quack... https://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/mercola.html

Old 03-06-2017, 09:16 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,310 times
There are some good LED bulbs that give off nice light. But they tend to be more expensive.

I like em' because I have an absurd amount of light bulbs in my home and some of them are almost impossible to get to. With LED's I hardly ever have to change them out.

But yeah, I don't like being told what I can and can't buy.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:17 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I am all for helping the environment and energy efficiency but the way Obama handled that made people fearful of change horde the old style of bulbs. Well intended but horrible way to handle situation.
Maybe they hoarded them so they wont have to be disabled by seizures and migraines in their own homes.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:18 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
I bought some this weekend, so the ban must not be working too well.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:19 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Yes! Same experiment here. With the exception of the can lights in our kitchen, LED's make the rest of our house look like a tent lighted with a flashlight.
You are buying the wrong LED bulbs....I bought warm white, and can't really tell the difference between them and incandescent bulbs....

Old 03-06-2017, 09:21 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
at one time or another, the common types of lighting was considered hazardous to your health in one way or another. the truth is that unless you break a fluorescent type bulb, you have no problem with mercury poisoning. as for LED bulbs, they produce the same type of light that incandescent bulbs do across the spectrum. the difference is in how they do it, and how much energy is used to create that light.

incandescent bulbs use heat energy where as LEDs use photonic energy.

and by the way, i prefer LEDs as they last longer and are far more energy efficient than even fluorescent bulbs

Old 03-06-2017, 09:25 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You are buying the wrong LED bulbs....I bought warm white, and can't really tell the difference between them and incandescent bulbs....
We tried several different types including warm white. As I said earlier, those work great in the kitchen. Elsewhere, they look awful. That could be in part because our home has several large antique Tiffany lamps with delicate leaded glass shades. They just look like crap with LED's.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:27 AM

57,284 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Rep. Jeff Duncan (R-S.C.) has submitted a bill in Congress that allows for the manufacture and sale of incandescent light bulbs again. IMO, the banning of these bulbs was a prime example of environmental overkill. And there is good evidence that Chinese made LED bulbs are a health hazard. See link.

How LED Lighting May Compromise Your Health
The doctors sound like a pair of kooks, one claims we need incandescent bulbs for infra red health benefits, the other claims blue light from LED's is a danger. The best way to get infra-red is to stand near your window or go outside, it's called the sun.

Besides you can get incandesents if you really want to live in the past, but their is no medical studies to substantiate their contention, I wonder if they bought a stock pile and now are looking to unload.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies