Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2017, 05:23 AM

18,474 posts, read 7,133,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fellow26 View Post
Not everybody needs a Ferrari.
Not everybody "needs" health insurance either.

If someone is young, healthy and doesn't want to pay for health insurance.... who are you to tell them they have to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 05:25 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,052,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
really? and the bug they left behind? you think can run away from it?
The ignorance in this thread is astounding. Based on that post you responded to, we apparently have people out there who think that diseases check a person's resume and skillset (and maybe even their bank account) before deciding to infect them?! We also apparently have monsters who are eager to allow others to die if they are deemed to "not be useful enough to society."

And then right-wingers wonder why they are often portrayed as callous sociopaths.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:25 AM

89,445 posts, read 45,146,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
The less people are covered the higher the costs for the people who do have insurance and who have to subsidize the rest.
We already went down that path with Obamacare. It didn't work. People weren't buying insurance anyway. This new proposal gives people that freedom of choice. They can self-insure for usually needed health care, and buy a MUCH less expensive catastrophic policy.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Not everybody "needs" health insurance either.

If someone is young, healthy and doesn't want to pay for health insurance.... who are you to tell them they have to?
Because they moment they DO need health insurance, they start sponging off the system. That's the problem with it. Also, they may actually need health care but decide that they are indestructible and thus end up spreading some illness to plenty of other people before they get sick enough to go to the doctor (and thus, again, sponge off the system.)

Sorry, but the claims "not everyone needs health insurance" is simply false.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:27 AM

35,803 posts, read 21,195,544 times
To me...is they should CAP profits in healthcare and insurance pharma etc. They can get rich of our cough but not buy a 55 ft yacht. I worked for a global Ins broker- all about sales and profits. -- has nothing to do with the sick people or their care.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:27 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,926,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
The ignorance in this thread is astounding. Based on that post you responded to, we apparently have people out there who think that diseases check a person's resume and skillset (and maybe even their bank account) before deciding to infect them?! We also apparently have monsters who are eager to allow others to die if they are deemed to "not be useful enough to society."

And then right-wingers wonder why they are often portrayed as callous sociopaths.
President Bonkers is a mean-spirited little man whose followers emulate him. They care nothing for people other than themselves or people who look like them. Talk like them. Wear red hats like them.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
We already went down that path with Obamacare. It didn't work. People weren't buying insurance anyway. This new proposal gives people that freedom of choice. They can self-insure for usually needed health care, and buy a MUCH less expensive catastrophic policy.
And prices will thus go up for everyone in the system when those people who have chosen to opt out of getting healthcare coverage end up needing healthcare. And, when that happens, no doubt the Trump-lovers will, insanely, blame Obama because they don't understand how economics works.

Honestly, if they remove the mandate, the system won't crash, but it will be the wrong decision. I disagree with removing it in principle just as I'd disagree with uninsured drivers driving all over our roads because they "don't need car insurance." It's the same idiot "I'm invincible and smarter than everyone else!" level of logic. But removing the mandate won't crash the system. It will just drive rates up. Fine - provided the "healthcare bums" realize WHY healthcare costs will now be higher when they need it. HINT: It's not "Obama's fault" - it is THEIR fault for refusing to pitch in to support a system they now need.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
To me...is they should CAP profits in healthcare and insurance pharma etc. They can get rich of our cough but not buy a 55 ft yacht. I worked for a global Ins broker- all about sales and profits. -- has nothing to do with the sick people or their care.
Agreed. The real enemy here isn't "Those dirty liberals who want me to pitch in!" or, honestly, even poor Republicans who hate seeing another tax. The real problem is that health care insurance has become a horrifically profitable industry, and it's not the average workers in it who are getting rich - it's the guys at the top and their cronies, as always.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:33 AM

89,445 posts, read 45,146,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
**** talk Obamacare all you want. I support a single payer system so it doesn't even phase me.
Would you be willing to pay the regressive taxes required to fund that? Every country that has single player health care has a more regressive tax system than the US.

This article explains why that is, complete with charts:

Other Countries Don't Have A 47%: Their Tax Systems Are Regressive - Washington Post

And this is the research:

https://www.econstor.eu/bitstream/10.../576828521.pdf

Old 03-07-2017, 05:36 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,659,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Would you be willing to pay the regressive taxes required to fund that? Every country that has single player health care has a more regressive tax system than the US.

This article explains why that is, complete with charts:

Other Countries Don't Have A 47%: Their Tax Systems Are Regressive - Washington Post

And this is the research:

https://www.econstor.eu/bitstream/10.../576828521.pdf
With Trump paying zero taxes, you are trying to school me on regressive taxes? I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies