Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2017, 10:16 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,458,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Here's the analogy... Why should one person pay 5k for "a gallon of milk" while another person is charged 1mm for "a gallon of milk?"
Except that's not a correct analogy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 10:17 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
It's hypocrisy on both sides. Hedge funds, big banks, and or shops that rail against unions and collective bargaining also lineup to accept pension funds left and right...calsters, calpers, ny state, Texas, NYC public unions, cpp etc...
Where's the hypocrisy from the right?

We keep saying "Let the rich cats keep their earnings, and it will trickle down."

Old 03-09-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
How do unions and collective bargaining advocates line up to eschew their pension benefits? I've not seen any of them do so. In fact, it's the exact opposite. They want the exact same profits the hedge funds and big banks are getting.

When unions and collective bargaining advocates put their money where their mouths are and eschew their invested share gains from Wall Street, bank, corporate, etc., profits, maybe they can be taken seriously. Until then, they are SUPREMELY idiotic hypocrites. And you KNOW it.
What are you even trying to argue here? I think you are so lost on your hatred of libs that you ceas d making sense? Are big banks and hedge funds lining up to argue for higher taxes and tighter regulation? Is that what you are saying makings unions hypocritical? And have skin on both sides so I actually have no dog in this fight, just calling it out for what it is here on both sides. And you might want to keep from projecting too much by calling people idiots.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Except that's not a correct analogy.
It would be helpful that you provide a correct alternative analogy.

I do understand that rich people have more to lose in a society, but they also contribute far more than the poor. The poor benefit more from a society and contribute very little. What's the rationale for the rich to pay more taxes when they already pay more by the sheer amount?

Old 03-09-2017, 10:23 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
What you said may be sensational, but it's not the truth.

The truth is, without the Wall Street making $25 million, the middle class would make an astonishingly $0.
Wall Street went bankrupt and went crying like three year olds for the government to force the taxpayers to bail them out.

It's only a matter of time before this all stops.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Where's the hypocrisy from the right?

We keep saying "Let the rich cats keep their earnings, and it will trickle down."

Do you not get the part about them accepting and pursuing pensions funds as investors while decrying unions and pensions and collective bargaining? Or is that beyond you?

Old 03-09-2017, 10:24 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Haven't you heard?

Most major companies are dumping pension plans.

Mine has.

'Shareholder Value' means employees do not count in the equation.
Despite the tantrum it's known that mine has also.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
It would be helpful that you provide a correct alternative analogy.

I do understand that rich people have more to lose in a society, but they also contribute far more than the poor. The poor benefit more from a society and contribute very little. What's the rationale for the rich to pay more taxes when they already pay more by the sheer amount?
I don't even see logic to what you're arguing.....you do realize even if with a flat tax rich would pay more.???

Old 03-09-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
I don't even see logic to what you're arguing.....you do realize even if with a flat tax rich would pay more.???
Of course, I know the rich will pay more in a flat tax or Fair Tax system, but that would be fair to everybody, no?

Old 03-09-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Wall Street went bankrupt and went crying like three year olds for the government to force the taxpayers to bail them out.

It's only a matter of time before this all stops.
When Wall Street goes bankrupt, what would happen to you?

1. Your 401K/IRA goes down to the drain
2. Banks are going out and you would get maximum of $250K of your saving.
3. You would be laid off as your employer can't get loans to make payroll and they go down to the drain too.

I'd agree in principle that a government bailout is immoral and crony capitalism but the particular bailout is a very complex issue, beyond my knowledge and the knowledge of the vast majority of Americans. Maybe you can enlighten us as why it was a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies