Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2017, 07:35 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
So much for keeping things civil.
Things are pretty civil to me. He didn't know that no one is keeping him from moving to Somalia where social safety nets are nonexistent. I informed him. I really should charge right wingers for my information services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 08:19 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
You really think people who are trapped in generational poverty are capable of such rational thought?
So you're saying that people trapped in poverty are incapable of rational thought?

And like kids or a teenager, that's the exact reason you don't just hand them money. They think money falls out of the sky and would spend it frivolously, then of course they wouldn't be happy with that and the cry and moan for more.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Not a tax. No one stops us from pooling our own money together to fund a charity that pays people to sterilize, right?

It's even tax deductible.

If I must pay tax, they need to be give up voting right. That's not going to happen, is it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Why do they need to give up the right to vote?
Read this,

Quote:
You really think people who are trapped in generational poverty are capable of such rational thought?
While MetroWord is suggesting that the tax payer pay the poor not to reproduce, he suggests that people in poverty are incapable of rational thought.

And we all know that when people believe a politician is promising to legislate their prosperity, they'll vote for that politician no matter what else they'll do. Exhibit A: Barack Hussain Obama

Old 03-10-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
And then what? Do you give them jobs, education, training or do they just remain poor with no capacity for bearing children? What's to stop them from adopting a child or raising a relative's child?
Why in the mindset of the poor it is always everyone is expected to GIVE, when is it ever they have to EARN like the rest of us?

Old 03-10-2017, 08:26 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,730,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
2K/month is not pulling anyone out of poverty in say, NYC, especially if they already have children.
They don't belong in NYC. The poor should be shipped to low COL parts of the country. Once they prove they can support themselves, they can migrate to other areas.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Correction. Give them money to prevent them from producing more people who will be dependent on the system. As I said before, the result won't be seen for at east a generation. But I think it will be worth it.
This is the most moronic idea I ever heard, I don't care who's idea it is.

A better idea is A JOB. If they work they won't have so much time on their hands and when they do have time they'll be tired.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:28 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,795,289 times
There's nothing wrong with it except that it isn't a solution.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I was going to say something similar but you said it better. I don't have children because I know I'm not ready for them..maybe I'm partially looking out for myself but at the same time I'm looking out for the potential child. On the other hand I do have dogs and they are my children for the time being which I got because the person did not want them anymore. I would like to get a job partially for them in case they get sick one day.

On the other hand if by some miracle I did decide to have children it would be because I love the man I am with enough to carry his child (hopefully wouldn't have too much of my traits just the few good ones but if they do we'd deal with it) If you love someone enough you tend to want to have children with them because it deepens your relationship. It also means you treasure their genes as you think highly of who they are as a person. If it was really just about you, artificial insemination would be more popular. Some people love the person they're with and not want to have children with them and that's fine too but typically we have children with our mate. Of course in my case I would probably be more financially stable when I did have children but that's beside the point. Excluding the ones who have babies just to get more welfare, the ones who truly want the children aren't trying to hurt other people. They might have even had it unplanned and decided to try and make it work.
Excellent post. The best thing you can do for society is to be self sufficient and not be a dependent. The most loving thing you can do for a child is to have them when you've done all you can so you can provide a loving home and where you can provide for their needs.

People who don't think this major life changing decision through and think they will live a white picket fence life without a way to support their children or by having children to a man who has no intention of sticking around is only asking for poverty and heart ache. Unfortunately it is those of us who thought about and invested in their future who are paying for the dumbing down of others.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:45 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Why in the mindset of the poor it is always everyone is expected to GIVE, when is it ever they have to EARN like the rest of us?

A job is earning money. That's pretty much the point of it. I guess you wouldn't know maybe your boss just hands you money.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post

If money truly ended poverty, let us end poverty once and for all.
You can not end poverty with a citizenry that is unwilling to work because they will not appreciate the value of money. Also because of their lack of financial understanding they will not know how to handle it. In other words, they'll still be broke.

And when will it ever be enough? Think about it. People think "when I get a raise" I'll be ok and after the raise, they realize it's not enough, most people do this all their lives.

People who get money at the expense of someone else never appreciate that other people worked hard to earn the money they received and they will keep demanding more money. They will also continue to refuse to give anything of value in return.

You especially can not end poverty with a citizenry that thinks they are owed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies