Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 08:47 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Things are pretty civil to me. He didn't know that no one is keeping him from moving to Somalia where social safety nets are nonexistent. I informed him. I really should charge right wingers for my information services.
That's not an argument. For normal people without a lot of money, it's virtually impossible to move.

"Social safety net" is ridiculous as it's built through violence - by putting guns on people's heads and robbing them of hard earned money. It would be a lot better if it were built by like-minded people who pool their money together VOLUNTARILY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Excellent post. The best thing you can do for society is to be self sufficient and not be a dependent. The most loving thing you can do for a child is to have them when you've done all you can so you can provide a loving home and where you can provide for their needs.

People who don't think this major life changing decision through and think they will live a white picket fence life without a way to support their children or by having children to a man who has no intention of sticking around is only asking for poverty and heart ache. Unfortunately it is those of us who thought about and invested in their future who are paying for the dumbing down of others.
LOL!!!

The most loving thing we can do is to adopt unwanted children and not have our own.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:55 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Think about this. How long do working people work (away from your family) to earn enough money to pay for rent or mortgage, food, utilities, health care insurance, emergency fund etc. The poor get free food, subsidies on utilities, rent and medicaid. No need to save for medical emergencies.

Think about this. All your life you work hard and pay your mortgage off. When a poor person gets old, all their medical bills are paid for by the tax payer, while you have to pay for your insurance and co-pays. If you end up in the nursing home, the poor gets their nursing home bill paid for while you have to spend down, sell your house (if you didn't pre-plan) to pay your nursing home bill. There is also a Filial law in some states where the nursing home can take the children to court and demand they pay the nursing home bill. All while the poor don't have to worry about any of it.

Welfare: Nanny state from cradle to grave! And they still complain and want more.

Last edited by petch751; 03-10-2017 at 09:04 AM..

Old 03-10-2017, 08:57 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
The redistribution of wealth from the working people that create it to the investors that own it is the primary "virtue" of business. Monopoly is very efficient at this task and transferred enough wealth that governments can be bribed to maintain and protect the monopolists from any market forces or personal responsibility for paying any real taxes.

Transferring any wealth from the robbers to the robbed is too blasphemous to even contemplate let alone discuss.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The redistribution of wealth from the working people that create it to the investors that own it is the primary "virtue" of business. Monopoly is very efficient at this task and transferred enough wealth that governments can be bribed to maintain and protect the monopolists from any market forces or personal responsibility for paying any real taxes.

Transferring any wealth from the robbers to the robbed is too blasphemous to even contemplate let alone discuss.
You would have had to earn the money to be robbed of it. So I'll correct.

When you pay taxes which pays for welfare, you worked for it, the receiver of Welfare didn't work for the money. The worker was robbed. Welfare is simply using government as the gun to rob the worker.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:

How does the working people create wealth?

Old 03-10-2017, 09:02 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
petch175 -

I have every intention to spending my investments on travel and other experiences before either me or my wife need extended medical care. I have no intention of having that pleasure deferred any longer. I have worked, if you count my step father's business, over 60 years and am retired with a decent pension and excellent health insurance. This was not an accident.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:07 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
In another thread, someone suggested the following solution to poverty. I can't remember who this person was, so if you think this was your idea please speak up.

Here's the solution. Basic income for life of about ~$2000/month to anyone with one condition: voluntarily submit oneself to sterilization. Within a generation or so, the problem of poverty will be solved.

This suggestion was written on here a few weeks ago. On the outside, it sounds horrid, doesn't it? But I cannot find anything logically wrong with this policy. Put aside political correctness for a moment. What exactly is wrong with this solution?
Not sure where you are going to get the $2,000 a month and in many places, that won't even pay the rent. OK, no, I see where this is going with a condition of "sterilization", sort of a more moral choice than forcing abortion on the poor to attempt to eliminate certain "demographics".

Well, gee, you can't find anything logically wrong with this? Ah.................

Not horrid, but inhumane and immoral. Really, "pc", this has nothing to do with "pc".

First off the real reason that eliminating poverty would not fly is that it is a major industry:

https://nyupress.org/books/9781479874729/ youtube discussion: https://www.c-span.org/video/?411928-1/poverty-industry and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_industry

So, to end poverty, maybe we should start with looking at how to stop the wealthy from exploiting the poor rather than elminating people who are poor. That seems like a moral choice.

This falls too closely to Margaret Sanger and the abortion movement: https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Margaret_Sanger

No, just no!

Old 03-10-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
petch175 -

I have every intention to spending my investments on travel and other experiences before either me or my wife need extended medical care. I have no intention of having that pleasure deferred any longer. I have worked, if you count my step father's business, over 60 years and am retired with a decent pension and excellent health insurance. This was not an accident.
You should, they'll take it all anyway. We planned to travel but my mom, working class, could not afford home health care assistance and she was just a few dollars above the income limit so she couldn't get help, so us kids have to do shifts to stay with her and help and that's in addition to us working to pay our bills. While the poor get 20 hours a week home health care assistance, free home modifications, food, fully paid for medical and medication, utilities and phone, compliments of the tax payer.

I looked into the programs for the poor and you wouldn't believe the help us taxpayers pay for. It's so bad that the working class end up in poverty while the poor get a hell of a lot of free services and assistance, (all paid for by us working suckers).

And the poor still complain! So as I said, they don't appreciate the value of the "free services and assistance" they get at no cost to them and they'll always demand more. They don't give a rats ass who's working to pay for the "free services and assistance" either. Life 101

Last edited by petch751; 03-10-2017 at 09:31 AM..

Old 03-10-2017, 09:33 AM

^^^ this is part of the reason we have more on the dole. People are figuring out that because of all the "free services and assistance" paid for by working people, it's better to keep your income down and claim poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies