Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 11:46 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times

Advertisements

Perhaps because there is almost no place to go on Earth where the land was not taken from people who lived there before.

The same is true of most of the "native American" people who were here when the Europeans came. They took the land from other native american groups either by killing them, driving them out or absorbing them. If you want to live some place where the people living there are the original people to arrive in that land - Antarctica might be available.

Old 03-16-2017, 02:55 PM

379 posts, read 255,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I respect the Native Americans unlike Trump. I'm not the one stealing their resources so if you think you have a valid point you really don't.
I didn't prove a point. I asked a question.

Quote:
I would love to move somewhere though (at least out of this city) but I wouldn't know where to go. I don't really have a belonging anywhere.
So you don't fit in anywhere. What does this say about you?

Quote:
If we were going to go by ancestry, that would mean moving to Germany right? However I don't feel like I would belong there either because the ancestors hated the Jews and I don't. I'm not saying the descendants do but I wouldn't feel like I'd fit in.
So with that said, you wouldn't fit in anywhere in Europe considering every European country expelled or repressed Jews, sometimes repeatedly in the same country.

How much of daily life and culture in modern day Europe would involve anti-Semitic sentiment anyway, in this day and age?

Quote:
I don't even fit in with half of my bloodline let alone my culture.
So you're like an outcast, right?

Quote:
But I am a special breed so maybe this question wasn't directed at me.
It clearly wasn't considering I didn't attempt to make a point and you misinterpreted my OP and you don't care or can't fit in anywhere.

Old 03-16-2017, 04:18 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,387,704 times
How many Indians would prefer to go back to the lifestyle they had before the palefaces arrived?
No cars, trucks, or anything with wheels, electricity, running water, air conditioning or the horses that were brought by the Spanish. You hunt for your food on foot.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:09 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Citizenship laws.

Editing for elaboration. The land was stolen. That's not an issue of opinion. They resided their and based on the ideals of property ownership of that time period, that Natives absolutely owned the land. They didn't a flag or typical western traditions of statehood, but that's irrelevant. The idea of property was settled and they had property; they twisted the logic to justify it. And this didn't even happen for decades, centuries even, after the initial contact.

And while I recognize the reality that an entire people were victims of something unjust, there's another fact that is also unavoidable; it can't be fixed. ****ty as it is, what happened happened. I'm not saying get over it; we as a society should do more to amend that wrong, but those who were not initially born here cannot actually just leave. My ancestry was English but I have no right, according to the English government, to live there. That's just how modern laws work. Modern laws built on what happened and we're where we are. Currently, Natives have patches of land scattered throughout the United States, all of which are considered sovereign nations. Abuse of these places is not uncommon and little attention is given to their issues. This can change. We however, for better or worse, cannot reasonably just give the land back.

It's also worth noting that those who only think in SJW mode about this issue don't actually care. If they could move, many probably still wouldn't.
Nonsense. The Indians did not own the land. There was no country, no immigration laws or land ownership back then. There are no so-called wrongs that people alive today need to amend or atone for over a past long ago. Otherwise, I agree with some of what you have said.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I've often wondered why there are still those that would even QUESTION if this land were stolen from the Native Americans. What else would you call it?

The so-called native Americans were not native to this country/continent. You can't steal something that wasn't owned either.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:21 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
Wasn't most of the land purchased for millions of 1800s dollars?

Yeah. From France for the exclusive right to push the natives west of the Mississippi.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:22 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,284,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownHillAmerica View Post
... why do you continue to reside here?

I've often wondered why those who profess that this is stolen land continue to stay here. For all those who feel this way, what's keeping you from leaving?

Are you of the opinion that we cannot recognize a wrong without having to leave the country to right it?

For starters, would the Indians be given their lands back if I left? Would there be any tangible results to my departure with regards to rectifying how we dealt with them, on a major scale? If so, then the question becomes relevant and something to think about, but not until the answer truly makes a difference.

In response though, do you think we treated the Indians properly? Its a fact we committed genocides, killed their sources of food to starve them into compliance, and repeatedly reneged on every treaty we signed. Are you saying you are fine with a country dealing with its inhabitants in such a manner?

Old 03-16-2017, 05:23 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,051 times
It would be nice to fantasize over the colonists and Indians somehow finding an amicable solution, but that didn't happen There were a series of wars. The Indians lost. The two cultures were incompatible. Conflict was inevitable.

Every inhabited square inch of the planet used to be owned by some other group than lives there now.

That there is widespread poverty on many reservations is a result of tribal structure being incompatible with a modern economy. A bank can't give loans to build for example a factory on reservations because it is not possible to foreclose on the property in those "sovereign" lands. That severely limits tribal options, but that is a problem the rest of us can't solve.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:25 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,686,640 times
I'm not sure what to make of this, historically speaking land is taken from just about everyone at one time. Again, what's the right answer here? Where do I go, where land hasn't been taken from someone in a brutal fashion. History is littered with this. The Romans were particularly adept at it, England did a pretty good job as well. I don't care to name all the nations but we get the drift here??

Old 03-16-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Are you of the opinion that we cannot recognize a wrong without having to leave the country to right it?

For starters, would the Indians be given their lands back if I left? Would there be any tangible results to my departure with regards to rectifying how we dealt with them, on a major scale? If so, then the question becomes relevant and something to think about, but not until the answer truly makes a difference.

In response though, do you think we treated the Indians properly? Its a fact we committed genocides, killed their sources of food to starve them into compliance, and repeatedly reneged on every treaty we signed. Are you saying you are fine with a country dealing with its inhabitants in such a manner?

Who's "we"? Those people are all dead now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies