Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If the Trump Administration goes after legal marijuana, what is the most likely outcome?
Congress legalizes marijuana at the federal level, removing it from the controlled substances list 0 0%
Congress passes a "respect states' rights" bill, stopping the crackdown but not going as far as national legalization 5 31.25%
Legal states go to court to protect their right to legal marijuana; SCOTUS sides with the states 5 31.25%
Legal states go to court to protect their right to legal marijuana; SCOTUS sides with the Federal Government, bringing back national prohibition 5 31.25%
Other (please explain) 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 02:59 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times

Advertisements

Each week it is looking more and more likely that a crackdown on legal marijuana is coming. Let's say that Trump gives Sessions the go-ahead to send the Feds into Colorado to start arresting growers, dispensary owners, and users. What do you think the outcome will be? I think any of the following outcomes are possible.

-Congress legalizes marijuana at the federal level removing it from the controlled substances list
-Congress passes a "respect states' rights" bill, stopping the crackdown but not going as far as national legalization
-Colorado, Washington, California, etc go to court to protect their right to legal marijuana; SCOTUS sides with the states
-Colorado, Washington, California, etc go to court to protect their right to legal marijuana; SCOTUS sides with the Federal Government, bringing back national prohibition
-Other

What are your thoughts? I want to add that only one outcome is good for Jeff Sessions; and that's if SCOTUS upholds the Controlled Substances Act, voids the legalization measures, and brings back national prohibition. Any other outcome and he loses.

Last edited by bawac34618; 03-16-2017 at 03:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 03:01 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Trump has to fill up the private-for-profit prisons he supports.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:07 PM

I want to add that only one outcome is good for Jeff Sessions; and that's if SCOTUS upholds the Controlled Substances Act, voids the legalization measures, and brings back national prohibition. Any other outcome and he loses.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:09 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,807,524 times
I voted that it would go back to the states, but I think it should be legalized on a national basis.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:11 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
An R-controlled congress is simply not going to legalize marijuana. Particularly this one. While some Rs are seeing the light, they are still vastly in the minority.

The states that have legalized marijuana are already talking amongst themselves about legal ways to resist a potential federal crackdown. Since states have a very long history of regulating drugs within their borders, it's hard to see how a case could be made that they can't continue to regulate drugs within their borders.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:12 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,394,840 times
I think he should do it to get back at sanctuary cities, but personally I am pro-legalization.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:13 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,672,549 times
Lots of money and lives wasted.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
An R-controlled congress is simply not going to legalize marijuana. Particularly this one. While some Rs are seeing the light, they are still vastly in the minority.

The states that have legalized marijuana are already talking amongst themselves about legal ways to resist a potential federal crackdown. Since states have a very long history of regulating drugs within their borders, it's hard to see how a case could be made that they can't continue to regulate drugs within their borders.
While I don't think removing cannabis from the controlled substances act could pass through this Congress, I think a "respect states' rights" bill could. A lot of (R)s are against legalization but oppose a crackdown as it puts them in a tight spot when it comes to advocating for states' rights on their issues, like LGBT equality and abortion.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:15 PM

2,726 posts, read 6,116,077 times
Sending feds into states where marijuana is legal would be a very expensive, very unpopular move. Approval ratings for legalizing marijuana were as high as 60% last year.

I don't see it happening.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:16 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
I voted that it would go back to the states, but I think it should be legalized on a national basis.
In some ways that would be the best outcome. However, there are plenty of legal areas where states have differing laws, and yet we all manage. In fact, Rs push that solution when it comes to abortion, for example - they want Roe v Wade overturned, and abortion regulation returned to the states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies