Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 04:15 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I'd rather pay for a $25 billion wall than the $113 billion a year that illegals cost us and would continue to rise with more of them coming here. Not to mention the loss of jobs, reduced wages, more depletion of our natural and social resources, overcrowded schools, jails, hospitals, roads and neighborhoods and increased crime from illegal immigration.
And yet, most of that would be solved by addressing the reason they come and and penalizing the employers who hire them. Instead, we'll squander billions and billions of dollars on a useless wall that will be a black hole of spending to maintain for generations to come.

Yeah, that makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 04:22 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
And yet, most of that would be solved by addressing the reason they come and and penalizing the employers who hire them. Instead, we'll squander billions and billions of dollars on a useless wall that will be a black hole of spending to maintain for generations to come.

Yeah, that makes sense.
The wall will trigger a shift in illegal immigration - more illegals coming by boat - up the Pacific Coast and Gulf of Mexico.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:30 PM

62,970 posts, read 29,162,429 times
We have the Coast Guard to take care of illegal entry through our waterways. I don't know how many times it has to be repeated that they aren't all coming here for jobs so we have to remove all the incentives for them to remain here and to keep coming here. A wall is a deterrant or we wouldn't have them around our homes and businesses. Better to stop them at the border then to allow them to get in here where they are harder to root out and more costly also. I'd rather see us spend $25 billion on a wall than to spend $113 annually on illegal aliens. The only ones who don't want the wall are those who have a vested interest in continued illegal immigration into our country.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:35 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post

Yeah, that makes sense.
And to pay for it, Trump will take the funds from the TSA and the Coast Guard in order to let people come through airports or by water. But, hey, they won't be coming through the border. Lol

Trumpian logic (an oxymoron I know).

Old 03-18-2017, 04:37 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
We have the Coast Guard to take care of illegal entry through our waterways. I don't know how many times it has to be repeated that they aren't all coming here for jobs so we have to remove all the incentives for them to remain here and to keep coming here. A wall is a deterrant or we wouldn't have them around our homes and businesses. Better to stop them at the border then to allow them to get in here where they are harder to root out and more costly also. I'd rather see us spend $25 billion on a wall than to spend $113 annually on illegal aliens. The only ones who don't want the wall are those who have a vested interest in continued illegal immigration into our country.
You do know that in Trump's budget proposal he slashes the Coast Guard's budget, right?

Old 03-18-2017, 04:38 PM

1,261 posts, read 951,258 times
Quote:
Most people who are here illegally came with a valid visit that they have overstayed. How will the wall stop them?

Trump's budget proposal includes a 12% cut to the Coast Guard. How will they take care of the maritime borders with fewer staff and resources?

Old 03-18-2017, 04:48 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
That's not wht he promised, is it?

I hear the story we'll get reimbursed by tariffs and charging Mexicans higher visa fees to visit the US, but when Mexico responds in kind, just how will they be paying for the wall as promised?

Sounds like more unsubstantiated BS to me.
Mexico will pay for it. Perhaps in a big tax put on phone calls coming from, and going to, Mexico.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:54 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,720,265 times
While I think this wall is a huge waste of money and will go down in history in a very negative way, I love that it is incredibly unpopular with a lot of people in Texas that live along the Texas border. There is a whole economy built around that Texas border and they are going to start really hating that wall and what Trump is doing. Watching all this play out should be entertaining.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:06 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post

Mexico will pay? Just watch.... YOU are going to pay.
Interesting. So that the wall will be built is a fait acompli. Now you are quibbling who pays. It wasn't long ago that the wall was just a trick to get votes.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:27 PM

5,731 posts, read 2,194,294 times
Cut down on illegal immigrants, make better trade deals and watch wages rise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies