Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 11:54 AM

10,443 posts, read 4,030,967 times

Advertisements

What do you think about the dine in restaurants/bars and the tipping culture? I've been noticing many Europeans think it's an odd culture, and think it's wrong that those in the service industries get paid a lot less in minimum wage because it's expected tips will make up for the rest of it. And then there is growing trend of some millennials not wanting to tip because they simply don't feel obligated. Many will just say (it's not my fault the waitress/waiter is stupid enough to try and get a career in a field that is low paying)

You think it's time that the minimum wage for waiters/waitresses should be raised to the same level as other occupations? Why should a waitress at IHOP get a tip, but not someone who is taking your order at McDonalds?

I'm just asking people's opinions on this?
What do you think about certain cultures that refuse to leave tips?
What about the idea that restaurant owners don't need to pay as much to their waitresses because the law says it's OK. To make it clear, I'm a big tipper, (20% or more)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 11:56 AM

5,701 posts, read 3,219,897 times
Europeans don't have the same lazy, entitled service industry workers so we have to have incentives.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:58 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,405,692 times
Restaurants & bars only. This is an old debate, and you'll get plenty of points of view. I encourage you to poll servers though. I was a waiter for years, and I liked the system. And diners get better service Where tipping is the norm IME. If tipping dies in the US, I'd guess it'll be because a) diners undertip (some are too dumb to calculate %, no excuse especially with smartphones) and/or b) some restaurant managements abuse tip pooling.

Tips easily make up the difference in wages in most restaurants. Maybe it's tougher in a low traffic diner but if the normal meal takes an hour, the tip at one four-top table can easily amount to well over minimum wage at a table service restaurant. A great career waiter in a high end restaurant can make six figures. Otherwise you wouldn't have servers.

Those who have traveled to Europe will also tell you the service their is generally far more indifferent except in high end restaurants. But let the sparring resume...

Last edited by Midpack; 03-19-2017 at 12:07 PM..

Old 03-19-2017, 12:00 PM

39,209 posts, read 27,575,665 times
The differences are largely due to workers having a high base pay. If you were a waiter in Norway, You'd earn about 180 NOK an hour (roughly 22 USD). Even with high living costs (the monthly rent at the time was 7,000 NOK or 850 USD), they could live quite comfortably without receiving any tips.

In America, everybody knows that waiters rely on tips. I normally tip 25%.

It is not about morality or anything like that. It is not like there are no lazy Europeans lol

Old 03-19-2017, 12:03 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,103,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
The differences are largely due to workers having a high base pay. If you were a waiter in Norway, You'd earn about 180 NOK an hour (roughly 22 USD). Even with high living costs (the monthly rent at the time was 7,000 NOK or 850 USD), they could live quite comfortably without receiving any tips.

In America, everybody knows that waiters rely on tips. I normally tip 25%.

It is not about morality or anything like that. It is not like there are no lazy Europeans lol
^ this

But darn, the rent in a big city like Oslo is only $850 a month????? WOW, maybe ill move to Norway! Here on Long Island you will be very, very lucky to find a 1 bedroom apartment for under $1,200/month.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:05 PM

39,209 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
^ this

But darn, the rent in a big city like Oslo is only $850 a month????? WOW, maybe ill move to Norway! Here on Long Island you will be very, very lucky to find a 1 bedroom apartment for under $1,200/month.
I think $22/hour is pretty generous. Norway is a beautiful country, I doubt they welcome us as immigrants.

They don't want us. haha

Even in Riverside county, California, a studio apartment is easily $1100/month.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:16 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Europeans don't have the same lazy, entitled service industry workers so we have to have incentives.
Yeah, poor people should just ****ing die!

i know of many restaurants that value good service. Many service workers try hard and at least pretend to care about their job. I find your attitude repulsive. Maybe they're rude to you because you're rude to them?

Old 03-19-2017, 12:17 PM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
I'm guessing this poster never waited tables. I have. It's hard work and you are subjected to many people like this poster, who undoubtedly demands good service because he believes he absolutely deserves it, but doesn't believe the server deserves to be compensated for it because they are, lazy, entitled and beneath him.

As to the OP's question, I do believe we should scrap the tipping system and move to giving servers a living wage. I realize this means the cost of a meal will go up a bit, but that's the way it is. Depending on the uncertainty of tips is a tough way to live.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:23 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Seems like an odd system to me ? Shouldn't all low paid service workers get tipped? -people in supermarkets and stores for example.

Good service doesn't depend on tipping. I don't remember any real difference in restaurant service between where I live (with no tipping), and when I was in the States.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:28 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
It should be banned. We need to order from a tablets and get robots to deliver food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies