Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 01:57 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times

Advertisements

When did "childcare options" become the responsibility of the fed guv(the taxpayer at large)?
You want kids? You bear the costs.

I'm sure the private marketplace has and can develop much more suitable alternatives than anything state run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 02:14 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
working parents need childcare options- and how do you expect people to hold onto a job if they don't have access to affordable childcare--
most people don't have an extended family to rely upon, or can afford to only have one parent working these days..
Adoption is an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
That's fine if your state has the cash, but many states are cutting education funding as it is.
Then States can uncut funding.

There shouldn't even be a Department of Education in the first place.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:24 PM

1,323 posts, read 588,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Adoption is an option.
Just ban poor people from having kids. Then in a generation all poor people will be dead. Problem solved, am-i-right?

And if you're middle-class and fall into poverty, either because a spouse died, medical illness and some other misfortune, take the kids away. Because, after all, there is no greater evil in this country than being poor.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:30 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,812,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Many conservatives like myself think one penny spent on this is one penny too many.

Even one-penny of spending on this is mocking middle-class and upper-middle class families who have to pay every penny of their child care bills.

The perfect solution is Trump's tax deduction as childcare will be tax deductable, it is fair and square except for Head Start class and their parents who "get there taxes back" in the form of a huge earned-income tax credit paid for by more and more federal debt.

Oh well, it will be interesting when the boomers retire and expenditures for Social Security, Medicare go way up.

To bad they are to busy spending on silly programs like EITC, TANF, WIC and many other programs then shoring Social Security and Medicare for people who worked hard all their lives.

I tend to think of it as "where am I getting the best bang for my buck?". I think it makes sense to pool money to help a stable, smooth running society operate, so I want to do things that help keep that going. To me the sick and needy will always be around so whatever helps minimize that number of people that end up in that state AND stops folk from dying in the streets I tend to be all for.

Now of course we don't have infinite amounts of money to spend on every single thing, so I know choices have to be made. That part I get. But this "I work hard so I shouldn't have to pay for this" kind of thing is nonsensical to me, since like I said I'm going to pay anyway so I might as well spend it on cheap things that work IMO.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:32 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,459,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Could care a less about this matter. I hope they cut funding for dept of ed and all the ancillary services such as reduced meals, standards in programs..

The states that value education will continue to fund it. The states most affected by cuts are southern red states. Bye-bye- have your own education system.
sad to say but this will probably be the end result....somehow those that struggle already will continue to blame others including the states that prosper...

Old 03-20-2017, 02:35 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,812,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
sad to say but this will probably be the end result....somehow those that struggle already will continue to blame others including the states that prosper...

And that's when the country really falls apart. The rich states vs the poor states, and all the resentment that breeds.

All to avoid a minimal amount of your personal federal taxes being directed towards needy people.

It's pretty insane to me.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:39 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,310,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
When did "childcare options" become the responsibility of the fed guv(the taxpayer at large)?
You want kids? You bear the costs.

I'm sure the private marketplace has and can develop much more suitable alternatives than anything state run.
Does that include the deductions parents get for their children? How about FREE medical if they become "poor" because they decide to have a bunch of children?

Old 03-20-2017, 02:39 PM

19,769 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
That's so true. I just don't care about the deep red states any longer. I could care less about their education (which is already lowest in the country), their healthcare, their environment.

I really don't care. I'm tired of their subsidies. Let them have it all- back to the states.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:40 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
That's fine if your state has the cash, but many states are cutting education funding as it is. Meanwhile, it is in everyone's interest to have these programs where needed.

That's why it makes sense to have a pool of federal money available. It's a tiny percentage of the overall budget that gives a great ROI for everyone IMO.
Quote:
You know the bolded is an opinion not a fact, right? Yikes.

Besides, it's not always as simple as "they should raise their taxes". What if you don't have the tax base to do that? What if your state has more needs than revenue? And since when do we run a country on the every state for themselves premise? What's the point of being a country if we're going to have an "Oh well, sucks to be you" approach when states are struggling in areas where we'd all benefit from seeing stability?

That makes no sense.
it is up to the states to fund things like this, not the federal government. why do people constantly look to the feds for money? this is the reason we have out of control debt and deficits.

local issues are NOT the purview of the federal government, but rather the state and local governments. the department of education should not exist, especially at the cabinet level, it needs to go away. and if it does, that will allow the states to reallocate money to programs that actually work as opposed to having to do the bidding of the feds.

much of the local and state monies are being used on federally required programs that are a big waste of time and money because they just dont work. we need to bring control of the school systems back under local control. and if we can do that, many of the funding issues for the local governments will in fact go away.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:42 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,310,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
Just ban poor people from having kids. Then in a generation all poor people will be dead. Problem solved, am-i-right?

And if you're middle-class and fall into poverty, either because a spouse died, medical illness and some other misfortune, take the kids away. Because, after all, there is no greater evil in this country than being poor.
How about those that have a petty good income but become "poor" because they decide to have a bunch of children ... I think the counting should STOP at two children, more than that and too bad, if you didn't qualify with two you don't with fifteen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies