Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For leftists: does the walkaway movement make some valid points?
Yes, I may not agree with everything in the video but some of the points are legitimate 9 31.03%
no, there is nothing about about this overly dramatic video. It is right wing propaganda 20 68.97%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 09:16 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,103,719 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking about this for a while and I admit that it's difficult for all human beings to be self reflective and look in the mirror and ask themselves what needs to change but this seems especially so for the modern day Democrat party. As conservatives many of us realize that we need to do a better job of reaching out to minorities to let them know that our message is as much for them as anyone else but I never read about leftists saying what they need to do differently or admitting what they're doing wrong. I mean that walkaway video to me was the epitome of why the modern day Democrat party has been hijacked by the radical left and is so divisive and arrogant and condescending yet the response by the overwhelming majority of those on the left is too quickly dismiss it and attack it instead of at least acknowledging some of the points. So my question to you, Mr. and Mrs. leftist is do you see any validity whatsoever in the walkway movement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 09:18 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,730,901 times
It's Russian bots, LOL. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b05127ccf2d083

Quote:
In what may be an early onslaught of Kremlin-linked Twitter attacks ahead of the U.S. midterm elections, Russia bots appear to be fueling a wave of criticism targeting Democrats over alleged intimidation in political confrontations and a lack of “civility,” according to bot trackers.

Attacks with the hashtag #WalkAway purport to be from a “grassroots” wave of one-time Democrats who have left the party in part because they say they are so incensed by the hateful and divisive behavior of party members. The message is to “walk away” from ugly confrontations, “intolerance” and hate — and from the Democratic Party.

But the hashtag has been connected to Russian bots. It has ranked as the third or fourth most popular Kremlin-linked hashtag for days, according to bot tracking by the Hamilton 68 site run by the bipartisan Alliance for Securing Democracy, which keeps tabs on Russian activity on the American internet.
Sorry to burst your bubble. You've been duped. Again.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:20 AM

1,874 posts, read 819,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post

of course it is. and before that it was George Bush.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:21 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,730,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
of course it is. and before that it was George Bush.
What does this mean?

Old 07-16-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:

Wait, so are you saying that Brandon Straka is not a real person, but a Russian robot? The Russian AI?

Old 07-16-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pjs7uoOkag

This man is a Russian "bot"? lol

Old 07-16-2018, 09:28 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,819,196 times
While the Democratic Party has it's problems, I have a hard time taking anybody seriously who "walks away" and becomes a Trump supporter. Maybe an Independent or even a libertarian but not a Trump supporter. To me, it seems like pure tribalism. Trump and his supporters are the opposite on almost every issue from the Democrats. This video discusses this topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrZDfaR3gH4

Old 07-16-2018, 09:30 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,170,583 times
"Astroturf" comes to mind.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:30 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Such a movement is created - and meant for the patting of their own backs - by conservatives.

Let me speak to anyone with 1/2 a brain. Liberals like myself have absolutely nothing to do with associating with the "democRAT" party. All that stuff is made up. The reality is that we tend to believe more in community and secular (or un-fundie religious) morals and ethics and vote for policies that reflect this world view.

To wit - Liberalism is:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberalism
"Liberalism is a political and moral philosophy based on liberty and equality. Liberals espouse a wide array of views depending on their understanding of these principles, but they generally support civil rights, democracy, secularism, gender and race equality, internationalism and the freedoms of speech, the press, religion and markets"...

Anyone who would "walk away" from such principles is someone who has not made up their mind about who they are. Note the definition includes "a wide array of views"......

For example, this "Democrat" would be for the Grand Bargain, Simpson-Bowles and a balanced budget....and 100% against "tax cuts from debt and deficit" like "the other side" might like.

This Democrat is for universal health care...not as much because it can be a "human right" in a rich country, but more because it is more efficient, costs less and provide greater happiness and welfare of the people.

Note - many who "walk away" from anything do so for money or base reasons....or peer pressure. After all, most places you will do better with the golf crowd if you don't speak of liberalism.

So, no, it's not real. IMHO, it's a Bannon construct.

Remember, most US Citizens have "walked away" from both parties as independents are the biggest group now (and getting even bigger). Also, many Americans don't vote - they have walked away long ago because they realized they have little or no influence.

In short - absolutely no validity. The very idea that Mr. and Mrs. Rightie think Democrats sit around talking about Nancy Pelosi or Maxine Waters is a hoot. All that stuff - and the "walk away" hashtag is just made up for your entertainment.

Now - go and watch Cohens new showtime thingy. You'll have a hoot.

On a related note....look around. Pot is legal in many places....a TOTAL Leftist Victory! Gay Marriage is legal nationwide...yet another (although I could care less personally, it's still an indication of public opinion)...
What is the largest new source of electric power in this country? Yes, Gigawatts of solar and wind being installed each year...another "leftist" victory. How about healthier foods...organic and all and veggies? Yep, got it from the Hippies (I know because I joined the health food movement in 1969)...

My guess is that many folks (even you) have accepted these and many other leftist issues and somehow forgot who to credit them to! Social Security, Medicare, SCHIP, ADA and many more...how many do you and your family use?
veggi
Yep, I don't think I'd walk away from helping my fellow countrymen. In fact, I think that is the very meaning of life. Leftist? Maybe......

One makes a mistake thinking that Adults are other than overgrown children and teens.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:37 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,371,397 times
I'm a leftie. I don't know what the walkaway movement is. Get off FOX news and watch the real news if you seriously want to learn what liberals think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies