Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 07:55 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,468,776 times

Advertisements

Very true the whole liberal obsession with white privilege and white guilt is just a feel good ego boost for them.

--
Scholar Claire Lockard argues in a new work that white people who acknowledge their privilege are less likely to engage in actual anti-racism efforts.
In her work, “Unhappy Confessions: The Temptation of Admitting to White Privilege,” recent Emory graduate and Elon University scholar Claire Lockard argues that acknowledgments of white privilege or racism are “pleasurable to enact but ultimately reinforce white people’s feelings of goodness and allow them to avoid addressing this racism.”

Scholar: White People Acknowledge Privilege to Make Themselves Feel Good, Avoid Addressing Racism - Breitbart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 08:03 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,468,776 times
OK here is the link to the article in the Feminist Philosophy Quarterly

"Unhappy Confessions" by Claire A. Lockard

Do you disagree with this feminist?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-21-2017 at 08:04 AM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 03-21-2017, 08:03 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,649,974 times
I didn't read the article, but I find these white people who feel the need to have "white guilt" or "white privilege" to be some of the most racist white people out there.

They think they're superior to other races and other races are below them and we need their help and can't get by on our own. They put other races into the groups with gay/lesbians and trans people for some reason....That, and they think that we need them to pull us up from.....something. And stereotype a hella lot for no reason. (ex. oh no, Trump won, are you scared? Its' okay I'm here for you.)

Yet, besides virtue signaling, don't do anything to really "help" others. You'll see them post something on Facebook, but if I'm ever like "hey I'm going to the ghetto neighborhood to volunteer with my church", they'll be like "uhhh ummm excuse" and walk away.

The real white people, ones who don't do stupid white guilt crap, are very cool and these things NEVER come up.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:06 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
OK here is the link to the article in the Feminist Philosophy Quarterly

"Unhappy Confessions" by Claire A. Lockard

Do you disagree with this feminist?

I agree with nothing 3rd wave feminist.

1st wave, yes. But not the man hating version we have today.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:45 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
I didn't read the article, but I find these white people who feel the need to have "white guilt" or "white privilege" to be some of the most racist white people out there.

They think they're superior to other races and other races are below them and we need their help and can't get by on our own. They put other races into the groups with gay/lesbians and trans people for some reason....That, and they think that we need them to pull us up from.....something. And stereotype a hella lot for no reason. (ex. oh no, Trump won, are you scared? Its' okay I'm here for you.)

Yet, besides virtue signaling, don't do anything to really "help" others. You'll see them post something on Facebook, but if I'm ever like "hey I'm going to the ghetto neighborhood to volunteer with my church", they'll be like "uhhh ummm excuse" and walk away.

The real white people, ones who don't do stupid white guilt crap, are very cool and these things NEVER come up.
I agree. It has a dissettling air of patronizing lip service most of the time. I adore it when some white person blathers about white privledge and the ilk and find out a) their child goes to a private school or they managed to get them in some quasi-segregated gifted track within a public school, b) live in a lily white neighborhood, and c) avoid certain areas of town that are virtually crime free but they perceive as dangerous when the only difference appears to be too many minorities or immigrants walking about.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:53 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,745,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post

Well said. We went to a dinner and was put at a table with three other couples who were liberals. You should have heard the way they talk about the poor and blacks, they talk as if it weren't for them these groups ... well lets just say it was ignorant and very arrogant.

We remained gracious but didn't contribute to the conversation other than to comment about food and other small talk. We got away as soon as we were able. I'm not poor, and I'm white and I found their attitudes very demeaning and offensive.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:00 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,943,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Well said. We went to a dinner and was put at a table with three other couples who were liberals. You should have heard the way they talk about the poor and blacks, they talk as if it weren't for them these groups ... well lets just say it was ignorant and very arrogant.

We remained gracious but didn't contribute to the conversation other than to comment about food and other small talk. We got away as soon as we were able. I'm not poor, and I'm white and I found their attitudes very demeaning and offensive.
What weird dinner conversation, talking about other people. I always heard when people talk about others it's to boost their own ego.....so here we go. No wonder these people have no idea women in other countries really do get abused daily for just being women.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:05 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,649,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post

Yeah. I know what you mean. I grew up in a fairly mixed community, so I didn't really ever see skin color. It's not until the rise of this SJW crap and the gentrification of major cities like DC and NYC where I noticed it. I grew up in the DC area, and now we have a lot of white folks moving in from random places in the country (like...Montana or somewhere random) who haven't been in a mixing pot of races. I run into that fairly often these days, the SJW who thinks that blacks or spanish people can't do anything for themselves or that we can't find jobs, can't get an education, etc. It's an ego boost for them, to make themselves feel better, like they really care. But they don't realize is that they think they have a superiority complex over you if you're black because they have white privilege and they don't, which in itself is really screwed up.

I'm in DC and I got talked to by this older white guy who had started talking to me at a bar that how I should feel about the whole Trump situation and does my family in a safe and well off position, yada yada. It's pretty strange, actually. But that's the narrative now going around with whites who haven't been around many other races. It's ignorance, but the reality is...most other races don't go around thinking about "white privilege" and all of this crap. It's something that the colleges and universities seem to have been teaching in the past 7 years or so.

This video below is one of my favorites...it's just a sad example of how far this is going and that this mentality of white guilt needs to stop. Yes, some people are racists in the world, but...this is getting outta hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWqMYqFI2tg&t=1s

If you watch the video, the black 60 year old cop explains that he's seen racism, but he also says it's his choice to choose his profession, and he helps who he wants to etc and that 19 year old white girl is basically saying "he has no idea what he's talking about and that he'll never be as successful as a white man because he's black...because I took a course in this in college so I know more than you"

Old 03-21-2017, 10:31 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,745,785 times
Right before the 2012 election we were being shown our seats at a table of a group of people we didn't know, one of the girls at the table was saying she was a liberal, and I said in a joking manner, oh good, I'm conservative, this is going to be fun. The way it happened everyone busted out laughing.

The liberals made jokes about us, we made jokes about the liberals, all in good fun, we all laughed our butts off. What a great time. Later, we were standing around talking, one of the guys got a jab in on the liberals. As we were laughing, this crazy woman come running over out of nowhere, yelling, pointing... her finger in his face, ranting like a lunatic about conservatives. We were all stunned.

As we walked away thinking what the hell was that? I turned to one of the liberals and said.... "She's one of your's". We all busted out laughing.

There's a difference, there are moderates, and there are extremist. This group was more like more like moderate democrats with some liberal leanings, not extremist liberals. The extremist are arrogant, demeaning, holier than thou who are offensive to everyone else and are bringing the Democratic party down.

Last edited by petch751; 03-21-2017 at 11:39 AM..

Old 03-21-2017, 10:37 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,015,571 times
This is why this identity politics being taught by LIBERAL professors is a bunch of crap on a stick. They're basically teaching determinism.

I went to college and was taught by real left wing professors who would've never taught that. This is what happens when you just focus on identity politics as the solution and break up the whole foundation which is rooted in class politics.

The left is dead if it continues down this path of identity politics. They're going to over think themselves into oblivion. No one will want to hear their post-modern deconstructionalist BS anymore or their attempts at emotional blackmail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies