Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 04:44 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you are being very shortsighted on this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0XuKORufGk
I've said it before: I am no expert on smart guns, and people have presented serious and legitimate concerns with the technology in its current state. Still...how good would it be to have a gun on the market that could not be mistakenly fired by a child, or used by a thief or other criminal against its owner? Seriously, if it could be made to work as intended, what's not to like about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 04:45 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I knew there was a flare in '89, but no, I was not affected by it. Isn't it a lot more integrated now than it was then, or am I mistaken?

Perhaps I can't fathom the cost of securing the grid. I probably can't fathom the loss of human life should an enemy take it out on a nationwide level, either.

You don't understand how EMP travels through a grid. You don't understand how EMP destroys just about every non-shielded IC (integrated circuit) and PLC (programmable logic controller) exposed to it.

Yes... Not only are we in the US susceptible to EMP harm, so is the rest of the world, and they know it.

Guaranteed bunkered and protected technology to deploy EMP, otherwise known as nukes... We have LOTS of them should someone decide to try to bring down our grid using EMP.

Old 03-22-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
You don't understand how EMP travels through a grid. You don't understand how EMP destroys just about every non-shielded IC (integrated circuit) and PLC (programmable logic controller) exposed to it.

Yes... Not only are we in the US susceptible to EMP harm, so is the rest of the world, and they know it.

Guaranteed bunkered and protected technology to deploy EMP, otherwise known as nukes... We have LOTS of them should someone decide to try to bring down our grid using EMP.
Wouldn't it be a little bit late at that point?

You are absolutely correct in that I know little about how EMP works, but that seems a bit like closing the barn door after the horses are out.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:17 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
This question was inspired by another thread here, but it's not really part of that thread.

Why do people oppose "smart" guns, which can only be fired by authorized users? Seems to me like a good way to keep children from accidentally shooting someone, or to prevent an intruder from killing a homeowner with that person's own firearm?

I am not asking to start an argument, I just honestly want to know if there are any good arguments against this technology.
Because they don't work reliably. Why do you think the Secret Service, FBI, police etc aren't using them if the technology is so great?

YOU are free to rely on one to protect your life, just don't try to force me to do it.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:19 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
This question was inspired by another thread here, but it's not really part of that thread.

Why do people oppose "smart" guns, which can only be fired by authorized users? Seems to me like a good way to keep children from accidentally shooting someone, or to prevent an intruder from killing a homeowner with that person's own firearm?

I am not asking to start an argument, I just honestly want to know if there are any good arguments against this technology.
Mostly because it is 'smart.' The NRA prefers their followers dumb, easily controlled and obedient.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Because they don't work reliably. Why do you think the Secret Service, FBI, police etc aren't using them if the technology is so great?

YOU are free to rely on one to protect your life, just don't try to force me to do it.
You didn't read the whole thread, did you?

Old 03-22-2017, 05:42 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
Why the need for a smart gun?

Here's the thing...
Anyone thats mechanically inclined can go around the technology unless its James Bond Self destructive if tampered with...
For instance, you put a modern fuel injected engine in front of me... I'll get it to run with a carburetor. If this "smart technology" was incorporated into the trigger group of a hand gun or rifle... Chances are I can remove the crap and get the weapon to function without it.

A gun is a machine. It has mechanically moving parts. Removing an interface that prevents the weapon from firing would take a simple strip down to find it, remove it. With basic skills and hand tools some pieces of metal, it can be done.
Whether it be bio scanner (finger print)
A RF signal (like a key fob for push to start cars)
It can be easily removed and back to full mechanical function.

Pros vs cons
Pros can't think of any.
Cons, can think of many.
Such as having greasy hands for a bio scan to not pick up the finger print, to RF interferences, to a solenoid failure for I am picturing a solenoid that would allow the trigger to unlock...

Old 03-22-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
You didn't read the whole thread, did you?
No because there is nothing new in it, you don't think this was an original idea do you? It's been hashed over and over and over, and anti gun nuts looking to put more controls on people never educate themselves on the subject and keep bring it up.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Mostly because it is 'smart.' The NRA prefers their followers dumb, easily controlled and obedient.
Sounds just like the ignorant anti gun nuts who never have any idea what they're talking about (see your post) and yet still think their opinion counts for something. You can be shown statistic after statistic, something you'd think "educated" people would learn from and yet anti gun nuts never do because they don't fit your bias and agenda.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:57 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
I've said it before: I am no expert on smart guns, and people have presented serious and legitimate concerns with the technology in its current state. Still...how good would it be to have a gun on the market that could not be mistakenly fired by a child, or used by a thief or other criminal against its owner? Seriously, if it could be made to work as intended, what's not to like about that?
i already laid out a scenario that could get you killed with a smart gun, and you have chosen to ignore it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies