Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 06:29 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,506,487 times

Advertisements

Are you offended by that title? If so, I'm very sorry that you have been mislead and manipulated by a false ideology that says we shouldn't be proud of our country.

I'm a minority here. I'm very proud. I've been visiting Australia/New Zealand for 4 months now, and while beautiful countries, I'm still proud to be an American.

Don't you think our government should strive to put American citizens first?

Last edited by DonJuanQuixote; 03-10-2017 at 07:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 06:31 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,757,428 times
People are offended by it because of it's roots.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...=.24a837052471

Old 03-10-2017, 06:35 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,506,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post

Who here was part of these 'roots'? That generation is long gone.

Tell me which 'roots' of any other nation was perfectly blameless.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:47 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,633,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
Are you offended by that title? If so, I'm very sorry that you have been mislead and manipulated by a false ideology that says we shouldn't be proud of our country.

I'm a minority here. I'm very proud. I've been visiting Australia/New Zealand for 4 months now, and while beautiful countries, I'm still proud to be an American.
Why?

Old 03-10-2017, 06:48 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,932,109 times
Also
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-first/514037/

If the America First Committee had gotten it's way, the US would never have been involved in World War II and we might be living under a Nazi Regime instead of an American one.

Quote:
But echoes of “America first” have persisted in the years and decades since. Most recently it was employed by Pat Buchanan, who used it as the slogan for his presidential run in 2000 on a Reform Party ticket. Buchanan, who has labeled World War II an “unnecessary war,” had also campaigned against free trade. Indeed, Trump, who sought the Reform Party nomination at the time, called Buchanan “a Hitler lover.”
What does 'America first' mean for American economic interests?

Quote:
It is a vision that rejects the give-and-take of take of international agreements, the generosity of foreign aid and the conviction that what is good for our friends is good for America. It replaces these ideas with a narrow understanding of self-interest, one that risks exchanging long-run benefits for short-term satisfaction.
Quote:
Second, President Trump threatened to slap a 20 percent tariff on Mexico, and possibly on other countries that run a large trade surplus with the United States.
We tried that before - see The Tariff Act of 1930 (codified at 19 U.S.C. ch. 4), otherwise known as the Smoot–Hawley Tariff or Hawley–Smoot Tariff, was an act sponsored by Senator Reed Smoot and Representative Willis C. Hawley and signed into law on June 17, 1930. The act raised U.S. tariffs on over 20,000 imported goods. Smoot-Hawley did most harm by souring trade relations with other countries. We need to learn this lesson again, I suppose.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:49 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,734,263 times
I'm not offended in the slightest. Everyone should be proud of their country, assuming that it's a noble seeking and has core values are things that we all can say are "good", too lazy to list out, but we can infer what I mean here.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:49 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
I'm very sorry that you or anyone can be swayed by a two or three word campaign slogan.

Will you be proud if our life spans continue to get shorter, our infant mortality rates climb and we have more and more people suffering from disease due to pollution from gutting the EPA? I won't.

Will you be proud if the world explodes in war due to the lack of understanding of diplomacy by the current admin? I won't.

Will you be proud if a horrible recession is the result of the loosening of the strings on the banking sector? I won't.

I am very proud that my state is #1 in health care with 98% insured. I am also proud that my state is in the top few in most ALL measurements of civilization.

Am I proud that, for example, another state has higher infant mortality than Cuba? No, I'm not proud. I'm embarrassed. Am I proud that we pay 2X what others do for worse health care and still don't cover everyone? No, I'm not.

When you build something you should look at it with a comparative eye. Your house might have a solid roof and good siding - but maybe the wires aren't installed properly.

Waving a giant foam finger "we're number one" has never changed anything except the sales of giant foam fingers. Our government is a mess and many of our states are refusing to properly take care of their citizens with health care and education. I am not proud of that.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:56 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,464,101 times
I am very proud of this beautiful country of ours.

I find jingoism repulsive.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:59 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post

It's like a wife or husband who feels they've wronged, they want to keep hitting the other over the head with it even though you had nothing wrong. It happened, it was BS but at this point it's time to move on.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:02 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I'm very sorry that you or anyone can be swayed by a two or three word campaign slogan.

Will you be proud if our life spans continue to get shorter, our infant mortality rates climb and we have more and more people suffering from disease due to pollution from gutting the EPA? I won't.

Will you be proud if the world explodes in war due to the lack of understanding of diplomacy by the current admin? I won't.

Will you be proud if a horrible recession is the result of the loosening of the strings on the banking sector? I won't.

I am very proud that my state is #1 in health care with 98% insured. I am also proud that my state is in the top few in most ALL measurements of civilization.

Am I proud that, for example, another state has higher infant mortality than Cuba? No, I'm not proud. I'm embarrassed. Am I proud that we pay 2X what others do for worse health care and still don't cover everyone? No, I'm not.

When you build something you should look at it with a comparative eye. Your house might have a solid roof and good siding - but maybe the wires aren't installed properly.

Waving a giant foam finger "we're number one" has never changed anything except the sales of giant foam fingers. Our government is a mess and many of our states are refusing to properly take care of their citizens with health care and education. I am not proud of that.

wow, that's a lot of fear mongering you posted. Is that what liberal media is putting out there? Hell, no wonder the left is having daily melt downs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies