Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 09:16 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Obamacare is not imploding. Nor is it collapsing. Nor is it a “ticking time bomb” that Obama ordered B613 to set to go off the moment he left office and he and Michelle arrived in New York City looking younger than you.

Don’t believe me? Ask the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, which concluded in its report on the Trump-Ryan replacement plan that the “non-group” market, the individual insurance market in which people sign up on state or federal exchanges, “would probably be stable in most areas under either current law or the legislation.” In other words, it can survive whether or not Republicans “repeal and replace” Obamacare, because even when premiums spike, as they did in 2016, in large part because of Republicans in Congress and 19 states actively sabotaging the law, those increases are offset by the federal subsidies people get under Obamacare, which rise as premiums rise, according to people’s incomes. In fact, of the new signups this year, 84 percent were eligible for subsidies which covered 73 percent of the price of their premiums.
Time to Call Out the Big GOP Lie on Obamacare - The Daily Beast

I know the GOP loves the idea that if you repeat a lie enough times, it becomes true. But it really doesn't. I know because the CBO - run by a Republican - told me Obamacare isn't imploding. It's merely a political lie that Paul Ryan has made up to try to fulfill his life's desire of dismantling the social safety net in this country. But not everyone agrees that giving more money to the wealthy is more important than taking care of the sick and elderly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 09:22 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times
agreed but remember

Trump has ordered the IRS NOT to enforce the insurance Mandate penalty that requires everyone to have coverage.

Trump did this to partly defund Obamacare, he knows it will make it even harder in some states.

IF you live in a red state, and like your coverage, call your reps, etc and demand they fully fund and reinstate the mandate.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:23 PM

1,816 posts, read 1,150,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

I know the GOP loves the idea that if you repeat a lie enough times, it becomes true. But it really doesn't. I know because the CBO - run by a Republican - told me Obamacare isn't imploding. It's merely a political lie that Paul Ryan has made up to try to fulfill his life's desire of dismantling the social safety net in this country. But not everyone agrees that giving more money to the wealthy is more important than taking care of the sick and elderly.
The only thing imploding is Donny's reputation and poll numbers!

Old 03-24-2017, 09:25 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
Default GOP has been sabotaging ACA - for years.....

GOP/Price and Co. will now do all they can to hasten the demise of the ACA by further defunding and deregulating.

GOP always said they would do everything they could to defund the program. Those efforts have contributed greatly to the rise in premiums and loss of insurers in some markets.

Blame Marco Rubio and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
And they bragged about it
Marco Rubio: We 'wiped out' Obamacare 'bailout fund' for insurance companies | PolitiFact

The Administration knew that insurers would have difficulty in setting rates for various markets and there were too many variables that no one could have known...like how many really sick people would sign up after deferring care for 20 years. The Republicans found the one way to 'make it fail' and seized on it, with no thought about what it would do to their constitutents
Chaos may ensue unless the Congresscritters get a conscience and some common sense and quit playing politics and do what's right.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:25 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,023,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
agreed but remember

Trump has ordered the IRS NOT to enforce the insurance Mandate penalty that requires everyone to have coverage.

Trump did this to partly defund Obamacare, he knows it will make it even harder in some states.

IF you live in a red state, and like your coverage, call your reps, etc and demand they fully fund and reinstate the mandate.
Did they remove some tax added to people getting coverage from employer? The did small adjustments when Obamacare came into law. There is already some news about Trump making it difficult. They pulled down advertisements. Some investigator is after this.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:27 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,303,358 times
If it hasn't imploded in 7 years it ain't going to. Unless they manually implode it.

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
agreed but remember

Oh, yes, it's absolutely true that Trump and his minions are rooting for the ACA to fail and will do what they can to make that happen. Which is why all the action that took place to help prevent AHCA from even coming to a vote has to continue to be applied and those in Congress who aid and abet this tactic need to be held to account in 2018. It's quite clear that people want their insurance and whether it's via repeal or this more insidious means, those who want to take it away need to be stopped.

32,071 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Quote:

You are correct. My husband runs healthcare and benefit funds. The ACA is not imploding.....just a scare tactic.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:33 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,849,040 times
Quote:

That's RETHUGLICANS for you. Historically, which political party has been the most corrupt and guilty of nefarious lies/cover-ups/crimes? RETHUGLICANS. Watergate/Iran-Contra/Weapons Of Mass Destruction-Invasion of Iraq, many even believe 9/11!

So yep they're lying about Obamacare, as usual, as they lie about EVERYTHING! That's why they love a mental-case pathological liar like Trump, because they're the same!

Old 03-24-2017, 09:55 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
An inept president just lost whatever control he had over his terminally fractured party for good today.

As long as Republicans control the House, the ACA is as safe as can be.

That's actually a shame. The Republicans had a perfect chance to show they are genuinely interested in everyone's welfare by fixing some of the worst stuff in the law and making it better incrementally, but they just squandered it. Now, not a one of them is going to get close to it again. It's far too toxic.

By next year there won't be a Republican in sight who swears he wanted to kill the law. I predict the sign-ups will rapidly increase now that the law is secure once more. Those who held back will go for it just to make sure they are covered in case another threat arises. They all got a look at what the failed replacement would have done to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies