Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 02:25 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,765,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
Can you tell me what sold across State lines means and how it works?
Risk pools are limited to each state. Same with provider pools. Small risk pools are more expensive and more volatile. If insurance companies can be cross-state, they can have larger risk pools which will even out costs. Same with the provider pools - insurance companies that have a limited set of providers (hospitals, doctors, etc.) can be more expensive depending on the providers. People will have more options if restrictions were loosened up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 02:43 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,191,607 times
1. Get the federal government out of healthcare completely.
2. Get the state governments out of healthcare completely.
Simple.

Old 03-25-2017, 02:55 PM

15,827 posts, read 14,466,566 times
Are you including the R&D costs, plus the costs of the clinical trials. Those can run into the billions of dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
Stop all the pharmaceutical companies from charging 1000+ times what it cost to make the drugs would be a good start. Trump should do to them what he did to Boeing, saying, I think they should make money, just NOT that much. They dropped their prices on the contract if I remember right.

Old 03-25-2017, 02:57 PM

15,827 posts, read 14,466,566 times
Have tens of millions of Medicare and Medicaid beneficiaries coming after you with torches and pitchforks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Simple.

Old 03-25-2017, 02:59 PM

45,202 posts, read 26,421,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Simple.
Yes, nothing short of this.

Free market. Look at cell phones,the only people who don't have one are those who don't want one.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:20 PM

15,595 posts, read 15,655,549 times
To be precise: Someone was saying, correctly, on television that the Republicans have had SIX YEARS to come up with a plan. The fact that they're still floundering tells you all you need to know.

They don't have much in the way of ideas, other than "Lower taxes for the rich, and don't worry about the little guy."

Old 03-25-2017, 03:57 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,779,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I keep hearing people saying that Obamacare needs to be fixed. But I haven't heard much about how to actually fix it. So how should it be fixed?
My opinion. Limitations. Sure we can keep everyone living well past there expiration date, using advanced medical care, but that's expensive. Have lifetime caps on medical care, when you reach your limit, no free/co-pay health care for you. All costs are on you and you alone after you reach your life time limitation. Of course there things you can do to help you stay healthy so you do not reach your limit prematurely. Don't smoke / do drugs / drink too much, stay at a healthy weight and exercise. Those three things alone will do wonders for extending you life without expense medial care.

Old 03-25-2017, 04:08 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,740,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
To be precise: Someone was saying, correctly, on television that the Republicans have had SIX YEARS to come up with a plan. The fact that they're still floundering tells you all you need to know.

They don't have much in the way of ideas, other than "Lower taxes for the rich, and don't worry about the little guy."
I suppose Dems can pat themselves on the back. Repubs don't have a good plan ready and Dems plans have produced double digit inflation for health insurance, while all other inflation has only risen by 2 or 3 % on average. So it's no plan for one party and a bad plan from another. Bravo.

Old 03-25-2017, 04:08 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,253,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
Healthcare just needs to have the same priority as our nation's defense budget....
Exactly.

Look at what these bozos just did. Wasted two months posturing and trying to shove through a bill for the sake of shoving it through. None of them agreed on what should be in it and Trump didn't even know what was in it.

People go to town halls and yell at these people and then the reps turn around and say they were fake citizens and paid protesters. Barely listened to real people in their real districts. They don't care.

Now it's like, ok--forget about health insurance and move on to the budget because we can pass the budget and then we'll look good.

It's all a big game to them--it's all politics and I hate to break it to the Trump voters, but he's just like the rest of them. Just wants to look good.

Let's pass the budget and let health insurance blow up. Who cares what happens to people?

Maybe Bernie Sanders, but the rest of them couldn't care less as long as they have their own agendas and look good. Bunch of self-centered divas.

So, enough about health insurance and health care--on to the budget. Build more war toys and bombs. Really? This sucks.

Old 03-25-2017, 05:51 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Going that route you would no longer be paying for insurance Premium's. So the question would be, what would the tax be, and how would that tax compare to what the middle class pays in current Premium's. So while someone might be paying a bit more in taxes, when they are no longer paying a Premium for health coverage, there actual expenses might drop. Bernie's plan for example called for an across the board 2.2% increase in the payroll tax to pay for it, those with incomes of over $250,000 would pay more,and Premium's would be removed across the board. A middle class person would be paying more if they currently contributed less than 2.2% of their income to their monthly Premium's under that plan, and they would be paying less under that plan if they were contributing more than 2.2% of their income to their Premium's.
Percentages be damned. It would be just another giant scheme. Figure out the numbers and you will see that there is NO WAY that approx. 51% of the population of this country can pay for 100% of all the health care with a 2.2% increase in taxes. I wish I could remember where I read it (maybe here and someone still has the link), but it read that it would cost each TAX-paying citizen approx 30K per year to just break even with such a plan. I don't know about you but an additional 20K a year in taxes means this family starts eating Alpo bought on double coupon day. That's the problem with your idea. As always, it's a noble idea but the devil is in the details, and the single payer system just doesn't work financially with a progressive tax system where not everyone pays..... You want single payer...then every SINGLE person must pay. Plain and simple....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies