Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 10:47 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,730,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Firstly that list is YOUR LIST.

secondly for every nutjob that thinks ""gays"" should be hung there is a nutjob who thinks hetrosexuals are evil.

Trying to pretend that extreme progressives are any better or worse than extreme conservatives is putting yourself into the same ballpark.
Did you watch the video?? If you did, how did you miss the part where he said that if you have a genital preference, then that preference is a result of growing up in a CIS sexist society? Did you miss the part where he says refusing to date women with penises "just as ridiculous as" refusing to date women that are too tall? Did you miss the fact that he is clearly shaming gays and lesbians for having a genital preference? The core of his argument is that you can't claim to believe that trans-women are really women without completely disregarding their genitalia in all ways, including deciding who to date. Translation: Your genital preference is wrong, evil, the result of societal brainwashing and needs to be unlearned.

It's a classic snake eating its own tail scenario IMHO. It's just the logical conclusion of fully accepting trans-gender politics.

Quote:
You know this person is an outlier, just as you there are other extreme outliers from your side.
A major contributing writer for Everyday Feminism is an outlier? No, that's more like somebody at the helm actually steering the ship. Undoubtedly, there are lesbians and feminists who are going to disagree with Riley. He has a word for such people. "Transphobic" and even "Homophobic."

Quote:
Lets stop the fake outrage, lets stop pretending you believe this person represents some larger agenda.

You are using this outlier to try to taint liberals. Frankly this type of attack only works on those who have already decided anyone not like them is bad, and reinforces hate prejudice etc..
I'm willing to bet anything that Riley is bitter about having tried to hook up with lesbian women and failing because he's all-male between the legs. I can't prove that. I have no evidence. But it certainly would be a strong motivating factor. But that's all just speculation and conjecture. End of the day, there's a lot of people who are actually buying what he's selling. He is a significant leader in the feminist movement. Everyday Feminism believes in him. If you think that's wrong of them, feel free to reach out to them as demand they stop supporting him.

Clear enough that you don't believe me. Hey, at first I thought for sure this guy was some sort of comedic parody making fun of transgenders or something. Go Google search "Everyday Feminism" and go to speakers. These are the people that the website considers their biggest voices. Riley is right there on the short list. And yeah, you can request to have Riley come and speak at your campus, university or similar venue.

I could save you the time. You could just go there directly by clicking this: Speakers Bureau - Everyday Feminism ... but I'm betting you're convinced it's some kind of fake link.

I'm hoping this is enough for sane people to finally stop the bleeding and say, "Enough is enough!" to gender identity politics. After all, this really is the logical conclusion of fully accepting trans-women as real women and trans-men as real men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 12:15 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
*swears profusely*

I can't watch that video right now, but I read enough to know I want to rip that guy's tongue out through his teeth for saying something so ridiculously insane. Stuff like this irritates me to no end, it's like freaking Springer, in that it makes us all look like irrational freaks. All I want is to live a peaceful and quiet life, and douche nozzles like this keep screwing it up for me, by making irrational statements like this, that are absolutely not true. Damnit. Why would someone say that? I seriously hate being trans sometimes, especially when a-holes like this start running their mouths.
I catch what you're saying: it's like the guy the OP quoted is a batcrap crazy homophobe who's gone full circle with being "Gay" on the way.

Tho Milo would have some fun with this fool.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I catch what you're saying: it's like the guy the OP quoted is a batcrap crazy homophobe who's gone full circle with being "Gay" on the way.

Tho Milo would have some fun with this fool.
As I understand it, Riley apparently is (or claims to be) trans-woman lesbian. Translation: He's a biological man who likes women, but self-identifies as a woman.

Now let me just say that I'm fine with him being/claiming all of that. He's welcome to live his life however he sees fit. But he does not have the right to tell other people that they're wrong for having a "genitalia preference" and expect to be taken seriously.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:34 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,273,519 times
Ahh Riley. One of my favorites.
Quote:
You know this person is an outlier, just as you know there are other extreme outliers from your side.
Why, oh why must we speak in terms of "sides?" Why can't we just call bad ideas what they are and move on?
Quote:
...let's stop pretending you believe this person represents some larger agenda.
There is no question that this is part of a larger movement in thought that is growing. It has little to nothing to do with traditional right and left, Republican / Democrat, Congressional and Presidential politics.
Quote:
You are using this outlier to try to taint liberals.
This is a completely illiberal position. Don't defend it. Denounce it. Worldviews are much more complex than "my side" and "your side."
Quote:
We are delighted to see so many people beginning to understand that how someone else feels does not negate how they feel.
Except what you just typed is *exactly the opposite* to what is happening! I cannot understand how you do not see this. We are not moving closer to a world where "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" and "I may disagree with what you say but I'll always defend your right to say it." We are abandoning those classical liberal concepts.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
*swears profusely*

I can't watch that video right now, but I read enough to know I want to rip that guy's tongue out through his teeth for saying something so ridiculously insane. Stuff like this irritates me to no end, it's like freaking Springer, in that it makes us all look like irrational freaks. All I want is to live a peaceful and quiet life, and douche nozzles like this keep screwing it up for me, by making irrational statements like this, that are absolutely not true. Damnit. Why would someone say that? I seriously hate being trans sometimes, especially when a-holes like this start running their mouths.
Agreed. Personally, I have no issue with trans people. If you're telling me you should have been born as the other gender and are living your life as that other gender, I have no problem with that. I do think it might be a pretty awkward in dressing room scenarios like swimming pools where you strip down to nothing in full view of others. Other than that, go ahead and live your life however you want. Feel free to take a leak where you feel most comfortable as well. As long as you're doing no harm to others, you do you.

The trouble is, Riley Dennis isn't just some outlier. (And please note that I refuse to call him "her" because I don't think he deserves that level of respect.) Riley is somebody that a whole lot of people in the LGBT community looks to as a leader. Like I said, if you pop on over to Every Feminism's website, you can request to have Riley Dennis come to your university and speak.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:38 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Shrug, I really don't care what that person says, it doesn't affect my life. I'm secure in myself that I don't freak out when some nobody comes out & claims that what I think or do with my sexuality is wrong. They can think what they want. I don't care if they're trans, gay, straight, whatever. Be what you are going to be & I will be what I am going to be. I'm straight, my best friend is gay. Neither of us say to the other "You're doing it wrong" because we don't think that way. Why would we try to change each other's minds? I don't know why you people get so hysterical over something like this.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Now let me just say that I'm fine with him being/claiming all of that. He's welcome to live his life however he sees fit.
Exactly! Live and let live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
But he does not have the right to tell other people that they're wrong for having a "genitalia preference" and expect to be taken seriously.
He/she has the right to say it. We have the right and the responsibility to denounce it. Riley is not espousing a live and let live philosophy here. Riley is creating a moral framework he/she seeks to use to control the conversation and the language that can be used based on tissue-paper-thin evidence, specious reasoning, and collectivist thought.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:46 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
I'm gay and am only attracted to men with penises. I'm not attracted to women with penises or men with vaginas. I have nothing against trans people at all, it's just what I am attracted to. To each their own though. There are people who are cis who actually have a thing for pre-op or post-op trans people. We need to be a society where everybody is treated with respect and equally under the law, but we all have our personal biases..that's a part of human nature.

In terms of trans culture, the one thing that is baffling about it is how much emphasis they tend to put on gender stereotypes. As somebody who wants to see society move beyond gender stereotypes, sometimes it seems like this may be unintentionally pushing things back in the wrong direction.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Exactly! Live and let live. He/she has the right to say it. We have the right and the responsibility to denounce it. Riley is not espousing a live and let live philosophy here. Riley is creating a moral framework he/she seeks to use to control the conversation and the language that can be used based on tissue-paper-thin evidence, specious reasoning, and collectivist thought.
Please note the caveat I put there. I said he didn't have the right to say it and be taken seriously. In other words, you're not a bad person for not accepting the genitalia gospel of Riley Dennis.

The thing I find troubling is that Riley is right at the heart of the SJW movement seeking to forcibly impose their ideas on the rest of us. Case in point, refusing to call transgender by their prefered pronouns is being categorized as hate speech. Laws are being created to make it illegal, as we see with cases like that of Jordan Peterson. Riley wants to create a world where people are actively shamed for having any genitalia preference and he's right where he needs to be in order to push that agenda.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Shrug, I really don't care what that person says, it doesn't affect my life. I'm secure in myself that I don't freak out when some nobody comes out & claims that what I think or do with my sexuality is wrong. They can think what they want.
I respect that, I really do. And I feel the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I don't know why you people get so hysterical over something like this.
I'm not hysterical. I want people to be free to be who they are and who they want to be. It is none of my business, and it doesn't affect me.

What I am concerned about is the attempt to usurp that. The attempt to say it's not good enough to live and let live -- that you're a bad person if you don't believe this way and here's why. I think you would say "so what? move on" whereas I'm saying "wait, I think we need to not just ignore this but actively condemn it" -- and that's the part we disagree on.

I think it's malignant and growing and true open-minded liberals need to be able to and I would even argue have a responsibility to criticize bad ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies