Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 08:33 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,076,840 times

Advertisements

I'm referring to this Matt Walsh blog piece and a few other places where people claim that a girl wanting to do "boy things" isn't a boy and vice versa. Obviously, boys can do "girl things" and girls can to "boy things" (whatever those are) and that has nothing to do with being transgender.

Gender identity is internal - how a person views themselves as a male of female. Most people view themselves as lining up with their biological sex, and hence are cisgender. Transgender people do not, and genderqueer people are in-between.

Gender expression is external - it is a complex relationship between a person's internal sense of gender and what is culturally perceived as "masculine" or "feminine." A girl playing with trucks is still a girl, and a boy playing with pink ponies is still a boy, as long as they consider themselves as such.

I wish certain people (particularly conservatives) would stop confusing the two. They're two separate issues altogether with much different solutions.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:38 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,461,752 times
who really cares? This is so not important to many out there.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:47 AM

5,663 posts, read 5,092,159 times
"Cisgender"? Do we need a term to describe that which is normal? The terms used in the OP, of which "cisgender" is one, make it sound as though it's just another choice out of many with all being equally valid states of being.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:53 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,397,212 times
Just because you identify as a woman doesn't make you one.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:58 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,143,014 times
The cause of everything now is supposed to be such a "complex mix of whatever whatever"...no, its not that complex...someone is acting outside their biological gender according to social norms...thats off.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:59 AM

25,775 posts, read 18,840,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Gender identity is internal - how a person views themselves as a male of female.
I don't think you meant this as a contradiction, but depending on how it's read, it is. The way you "view yourself" (visually) is what you see when you look in the mirror. That is the way everyone else views you as well.

On the other hand, gender identity is, as you say, internal and not necessarily biological. It's not the way you or anyone else views you. It's your "being." Your internal self. Sometimes that corresponds to the "way you view yourself" in the mirror and sometimes not. Of course, many folks do not buy the idea of an internal self and an external "wrapper." For most, what they see in the mirror is "them." They have a hard time fathoming the idea of a "self" and a "store front."

Yes, I know some of you will say, "what the hell is this person talking about?" And as another poster said, for most, they don't really care anyway because they are "in sync." Unless you are somewhat out of sync, you will never understand or care.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:38 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,042,873 times
Do I know the difference? No.
Do I care? No.
There's too many other things in life that are actually important to worry about such nonsense.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:37 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,899,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I don't think you meant this as a contradiction, but depending on how it's read, it is. The way you "view yourself" (visually) is what you see when you look in the mirror. That is the way everyone else views you as well.

On the other hand, gender identity is, as you say, internal and not necessarily biological. It's not the way you or anyone else views you. It's your "being." Your internal self. Sometimes that corresponds to the "way you view yourself" in the mirror and sometimes not. Of course, many folks do not buy the idea of an internal self and an external "wrapper." For most, what they see in the mirror is "them." They have a hard time fathoming the idea of a "self" and a "store front."

Yes, I know some of you will say, "what the hell is this person talking about?" And as another poster said, for most, they don't really care anyway because they are "in sync." Unless you are somewhat out of sync, you will never understand or care.

For the most part, I could give a good crap about what these misfits[what they truly are] feel think or want. I don't understand it and never hope to. Society is so effed up these days and patted on the back for being so. It's a wonder we function at all. Trans people are seemingly the most important concern in our nation at current. Iraq might[already has] get nuclear weapons...This just in, "Cait" is giving an interview so we will break to that at this moment. All news networks will do so to cover the most important news of the day, Bruce Jenner and the flock of trans he is empowering. Britain and Israel could both be attacked with nuclear warheads but Bruce must get airtime.
It reminds me of..."Mr President, the Twin Towers in NYC are being attacked at this time".

One question which came to mind while reading your post...Are you in sync?

Old 07-30-2015, 11:30 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,835,847 times
Because it is pretty simple for the majority of people. If you have a dck, you're not a chick.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:44 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,653,799 times
To answer the OPs question, I don't think most people really care. It's not an issue in our daily lives. We've got real things to deal with. I don't understand why people who want to be treated like everybody else have to go out of their way to show how they are different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies