Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 04:09 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
You have perfect clarity of the opposition party while completely ignoring that the Democrat party has been hijacked by Progressive Extremists!

When you can show a balanced view of both parties shortcoming you will become a moderate, until then you are nothing but a partisan shill.
Well, you don't need the extremists in either party to get things done.
I doubt they comprise much more than 20% of either party.

That's not enough to stop anything if the President is willing to sign.

The thing to try this out on is infrastructure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 01:16 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,436,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
It is interesting to note that when president Obama was elected the first time there was a meeting of major Republicans which determined to block anything the president backed. This included programs they might have otherwise supported, in order to make the president seem like a failure. This practice continued for eight years.

It was pretty boldly partisan and gridlocked our government considerably. Anyone reading here should be able to come up with a host of examples of this if they can remember up to eight years back.
I still haven't gotten an answer to my question, "Why should Trump reach out to Democrats when Chuckie and Nancita have vowed to block him on everything they can?"

I keep getting told about Republicans obstructing Obama.

That might explain the Democrats' vow to obstruct -- regardless of any agreements on policy like infrastructure.

It doesn't explain why Trump should reach out to them.

Are they lying when they say they are going to try to block him on everything they can?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Maybe because Trump told us he knew how to fix it? And that he was the only one who could? And because he had a "wonderful plan that would cover every American and cost less than the ACA? So basically you're saying people are suckers for believing him. Which I would agree with.
He probably does have a great plan. You don't know that he doesn't.

But the greatest plan in the world isn't enough. Congress has to approve it.

Quote:
Please tell us when and how Trump tried to reach out to Democrats. Be specific, because we Democrats apparently missed it. Enlighten us, please.
When have the Democrats reached out to him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
You give way too much credit to Trump. He was a minor league con-man that can't make it in the major league in Washington.
Putting "major league" and "Washington" in the same sentence is prima facie absurd.

Quote:
The tactic that he tried to use yesterday, (pass this or I'm out) is straight from his book The Art of the Deal (scare the other guy that you are walking away.) It didn't work.
How do you know?

Obamacare is failing -- and it's going to cause more and more pain over the next two years.

The Democrats will come crawling back to Trump after their needed period of "attitude adjustment."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
You don't have to go back 8 years. Just go back 1 year to when Obama nominated Merrick Garland to the Supreme Court. Garland was a universally liked moderate with a great record but the Republicans wouldn't give him a vote, just to spite Obama. And NOW they want cooperation from the Democrats? What goes around comes around.
The Democrats pulled the same stunt in the last year of a Republican administration. They were just getting a taste of their own medicine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
The alt-right does not have the representation in Congress to get anything passed unilaterally. At a minimum, they'll have to work with the moderate right-yes, they still exist-to make sure any proposed legislation benefits the *majority* of Americans, as represented by the *entire* Republican party, which holds the majority in Congress.

The fact the Republicans couldn't repeal with a majority in both houses and a Republican President is astounding. At least to my observation, the alt-right has far more than its normal proportion of shriekers, gibberers, and nincompoops, and because they are louder they get the most attention-but they are far from the only type of representation from conservatives, which has a broad swathe of people who represent what Republicans traditionally have: pro-Business, with globalism as a way to *be* pro-business. Strong defense. Lower taxes. Fiscal conservatism-not running up the debt.

Those values are true and timeless and still speak to a lot of people. Reagan is turning in his grave, and to my mind he was the last true representative of those values. Vilifying a major wing of the party (those who disagree with them) is really not the way for the alt-right to get a Republican agenda cemented.
The open borders globalist Republican agenda has failed -- sending jobs overseas, depressing wages, and adding to the national debt -- and Republicans had an opportunity to exercise fiscal discipline in the 2016 budget and instead just passed a continuing resolution that gave Obama and the Democrats everything they wanted. They also countenanced the hollowing out of our military.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
I think Trump needs to keep the economy moving upward, bring jobs back get people back to work and improve their quality of life plus, tax reform. He does that he wins re-election easily. To this point he is on track to do all those things. He is meeting with the right people. Groups are committing money and jobs so we are slowly turning towards the right direction.
Exactly. Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Well, you don't need the extremists in either party to get things done.
I doubt they comprise much more than 20% of either party.

That's not enough to stop anything if the President is willing to sign.

The thing to try this out on is infrastructure.
The problem is that the leadership on both sides is extreme. And they control committee assignments, campaign funding, etc. For anything to change, the rank and file would have to elect new leadership. I don't see that happening.

The one thing Trump has going for him is the fact that, without him, the Republicans would not control all three branches of government. There is no way that any of the other Republican candidates would have won the presidency. So the Republicans in Congress need to swallow their pride and work with him. Otherwise, their party will fail, and they will never have the chance to succeed again.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:35 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Maybe because Trump told us he knew how to fix it? And that he was the only one who could? And because he had a "wonderful plan that would cover every American and cost less than the ACA? So basically you're saying people are suckers for believing him. Which I would agree with.
It is the Dems who are not helping they are just saying they will not work with President Trump, the same game the GOP pulled on President Obama. See how the Select few Dems are the same as the GOP? Neither want it fixed!

Quote:
Please tell us when and how Trump tried to reach out to Democrats. Be specific, because we Democrats apparently missed it. Enlighten us, please.
Are you asking for a personal hand out from President Trump to you? The Dems in public office, it is their job and duty to bring something to the table that benefits all people, not just those they select. Many of us were told we could keep our insurance only to find it gone within the year. Every plan I tried to sign up on, eventually, canceled or did not comply with ACA......what about those who were lied to and have had no insurance for 7 yrs?

Liberals and many Democrats do not want to speak to President Trump so how can he reach out to them? Right after his election he meet with many liberals and Dems, so what more are you asking for? Are the Dems standing back just complaining or are they taking the higher road?

Old 03-27-2017, 09:47 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Did Trump make a mistake in trying to reach out to liberals?

Trump's mistake was believing the loud-mouthed petulant child act would play well with Congress.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:51 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
I still haven't gotten an answer to my question, "Why should Trump reach out to Democrats when Chuckie and Nancita have vowed to block him on everything they can?"

That might explain the Democrats' vow to obstruct -- regardless of any agreements on policy like infrastructure.
I must have missed that - where did "Chuckie and Nancita" vow to obstruct President Trump's infrastructure initiative?

Old 03-27-2017, 09:52 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I personally would have been perfectly fine with repealing Obamacare and not replacing it with anything. I know that myself, my family, and almost everyone I know would have been better off, since our health care was fine before Obamacare came along. The "increased uninsured" really is just the people who gained insurance under Obamacare, most of whom are self-entitled freeloaders and leeches who contribute nothing to society and yet want free benefits. Many of them are also illegal aliens and anchor babies. Many also live in the inner-city and are used to generational welfare dependency.

Maybe Trump shouldn't have kept any of the provisions? That probably would have gotten more conservative Republican votes and got the repeal bill passed. I disagree with the age 26 thing because kids should learn to be independent. I think age 23 is the absolute max that a "child" should be covered under their parents' insurance. But I guess in a world where college students and "young adults" still need safe spaces with teddy bears age 24 or 25 isn't truly grown up yet especially if they go to college.

Trump overall DOES NOT Have to reach out to the liberals. Nothing he does will ever satisfy them, but can cost him support among his base. He won this election with his base and as long as he keeps his base satisfied and sticks to his guns, he can win AGAIN without the votes of liberals and Democrats. I sure hope he never compromises on the wall or on deporting illegals.
45 didn't "keep" anything.
Any provisions that were retained were kept at the behest of those congress-critters up for re-election soon.

As for the reaching out nonsense, that is about as fictional as the first paragraph in the above post.

Most of the people who have been able to purchase health insurance, and yes, the operative word is PURCHASE, are people who were shut out of the market previously.
It's pretty clear that you don't care about the health and welfare of your fellow citizens but thankfully, as shown by the lack of vote on this so-called healthcare bill, many more people don't feel the same.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:54 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
I must have blinked my eyes and missed the moment that Trump reached out to liberals.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:55 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
He wanted to keep some of the provisions like the age 26 requirement I mentioned above, if you had read my complete post. He also wanted to keep the things about pre-existing conditions in Obamacare.

I (like the conservative Republicans in Congress) would have preferred that Obamacare been completely dismantled and not replaced with anything, for us to go back to the way things were before because that worked out best for myself, my family and my community.

He didn't do the bold for liberals. He did those for conservatives because practically all Americans, regardless of political ideology liked those provisions.

The reason this failed is because conservatives didn't like it. He did not try to reach out to liberals on healthcare.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:09 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I see those on the other side saying F those who use to have it. So what is the difference? I do believe most people have no idea who has insurance and who doesn't let alone understanding premiums and deductible.

Since you seem to know so much about how others are using insurance, just what are others paying and what are their deductibles? This will tell us if the plan is fair or just helping the select few to BC and maternity care. Why should men pay for birth control and maternity care?

There was a time when Madonna told papa not to preach, now she seems to be telling young women a different way to take care of unwanted babies.......is this part of that unwanted pre-existing condition hidden in the ACA plan?
Since you asked:
I am paying near $700.00 per month for my health insurance coverage. I have a $3000.00 deductible. Doctors visits cost me $30.00 per. I don't have to meet my deductible to pay that $30.00.

I am well past the age where I need either BC or maternity coverage, however, I do need yearly colonoscopies and other screenings pertinent to my age that younger women don't need.

Having policies that cover all of those things seems the only fair way to spread the costs evenly to everyone.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:10 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,328,096 times
Quote:
I personally would have been perfectly fine with repealing Obamacare and not replacing it with anything. I know that myself, my family, and almost everyone I know would have been better off, since our health care was fine before Obamacare came along. The "increased uninsured" really is just the people who gained insurance under Obamacare, most of whom are self-entitled freeloaders and leeches who contribute nothing to society and yet want free benefits. Many of them are also illegal aliens and anchor babies. Many also live in the inner-city and are used to generational welfare dependency.

Maybe Trump shouldn't have kept any of the provisions? That probably would have gotten more conservative Republican votes and got the repeal bill passed. I disagree with the age 26 thing because kids should learn to be independent. I think age 23 is the absolute max that a "child" should be covered under their parents' insurance. But I guess in a world where college students and "young adults" still need safe spaces with teddy bears age 24 or 25 isn't truly grown up yet especially if they go to college.

Trump overall DOES NOT Have to reach out to the liberals. Nothing he does will ever satisfy them, but can cost him support among his base. He won this election with his base and as long as he keeps his base satisfied and sticks to his guns, he can win AGAIN without the votes of liberals and Democrats. I sure hope he never compromises on the wall or on deporting illegals.

Donald Trump can't be trusted;Democrats and some Republicans will never negotiate with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies