Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 08:32 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I'm not opposed to flat taxes. But wealthy earners should not be on the hook to pay many times over what someone else pays for the same exact healthcare plan "just because".
So, you think the wealthy should pay a lower percentage and the poor a greater percentage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 08:32 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
So that means you are against flat taxes to fund roads, parks, health care, schools etc. Instead, the disabled vet and the old grandma should pay the same dollar amount as Oprah and Kim Kardashian to drive on the roads through private toll roads everywhere and private user fees on everything from parks, schools, libraries etc to fully cover the costs.
What did I just say three pages ago, Mike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I'm not opposed to flat taxes. But wealthy earners should not be on the hook to pay many times over what someone else pays for the same exact healthcare plan "just because".
Healthcare is the topic here. Healthcare. A product that should not cost a wealthy earner more than a poor earner just because people like you say they can afford it. What you advocate is wealth redistribution to poorer classes. I don't advocate for the same. End of story.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:33 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Quote:
How? You dont have any deductibles and co-pays now?

You do understand that you are paying for whatever the employer is paying of your premium if you have an employer based plan right? So if your health insurance costs $10 000 a year in total and you pay $2000 a year out of pocket, you are really paying $10 000 a year because the employer takes out $8000 from your paycheck. How old are you? If you are very healthy and young, you might not be very healthy and young forever. Under a tax based system, your costs do not go up as you get sicker and older.
I understand exactly how it works and I stand by my previous statement, its a minimum of about a 50% increase in my out of pocket cost with this model where I'd expect the overall service to be worse than what I get now.

Beyond that, I will no longer be replying to you, it always devolves into you name calling and casting some very seriously misguided assertions about me basically implying I'm a selfish f'&@k that wants people to die and I'm sick of hearing it from you.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
My point stands. We'd need a 30% VAT to cover annual health care spending.
Several people have shown you the 30% VAT would not be needed.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:35 AM

89,028 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If you remove the corporate profits etc from the equation, it would be nowhere near $3 trillion. Many countries have single payer, and none collect 30% sales tax.
Many have a 25% sales tax. Close enough.

Quote:
Besides, much of the current $3 trillion is already covered by our current taxes, so not all of it would have to be covered by new taxes.
Again, if we go to a single-payer health care for all system, why would anyone be paying extra health care taxes that others don't have to pay for the exact same health care benefits. My point stands.

Quote:
The nice thing about VAT is that you can choose to reduce it, but not consuming taxable goods. You can buy a used car for example, and not pay tax.
So be it. Let's go with it. A 29%-25% VAT works extremely well in Scandinavian and European countries.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:35 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I understand exactly how it works and I stand by my previous statement, its a minimum of about a 50% increase in my out of pocket cost with this model where I'd expect the overall service to be worse than what I get now.

Beyond that, I will no longer be replying to you, it always devolves into you name calling and casting some very seriously misguided assertions about me basically implying I'm a selfish f'&@k that wants people to die and I'm sick of hearing it from you.
I hear ya on that one.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:36 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If we're going to have single-payer health care for all, the tax structure changes. No one is going to pay an extra health care tax that others don't have to pay for the exact same health care benefits. My point stands. We'd need a 30% VAT to cover annual health care spending.
Your point is fantasy. Even by eliminating Medicare tax, Medicaid tax, VA tax and other taxes, your calculations are way off the mark.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
How did you come up with that number?

Old 03-27-2017, 08:37 AM

89,028 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
If you remove the corporate profits etc from the equation, it would be nowhere near $3 trillion.
Who do you think gets the profits? The shareholders. Guess who the biggest US equities (stock shares) investor is?

Old 03-27-2017, 08:38 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
You're deeply confused. A national sales tax of 30% on top of the 1.5 trillion we already pay in health care taxes would mean we would suddenly have more than $5 trillion of government revenue to fund health care. Thats far in excess of what we pay in total for the for-profit health care system today, including meaningless plastic surgery for Kim Kardashian. No single payer system pays for that.

Between $500 billion and $1 trillion of extra revenue is probably needed to eliminate what people have to pay in private premiums and large deductibles. Not $3.6 trillion like you fantasize about.
Most insurance does not pay for plastic surgery either. Kim probably paid out of pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
I don't want to be in the same pool as an obese chain-smoker. I should not be paying for their poor life choices.
Oh, G*d, not this again! I'd be willing to bet you do have some bad habits that impact your health, and you probably have some genes that do so as well.

Quote:
If you remove the corporate profits etc from the equation, it would be nowhere near $3 trillion. Many countries have single payer, and none collect 30% sales tax. Besides, much of the current $3 trillion is already covered by our current taxes, so not all of it would have to be covered by new taxes.

The nice thing about VAT is that you can choose to reduce it, but not consuming taxable goods. You can buy a used car for example, and not pay tax.
Sales tax (VAT) in the UK is 20% and they're towards the bottom in health care expenditures. It's 25% in Sweden and Norway. So 30% is not unrealistic. I'm not one to believe these crazy tales of excessively long waits, etc, in these single-payer countries, but we do have faster response times here and we also have better cancer care statistics, so there's something to spending a little more money.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_in_Sweden
United Kingdom Sales Tax Rate | VAT | 1977-2017 | Data | Chart | Calendar
https://www.sovereignman.com/lifesty...er-taxes-8235/

You are talking about the "black market" with your used car example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies