Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 01:32 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,067,889 times

Advertisements

My guess is if they live in the U.S. full time, earn their income from non-Canadian employment and have for awhile, then they do not pay Canadian taxes. Therefore the Canadian system is built on a foundation of sand or your friends are scamming the system. That is the big problem for any centrally controlled and administered system; i.e., federal government control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
That I don't know honestly, never asked
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 01:33 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,675,028 times
To answer the post question ,yes.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:35 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It doesn't work that way. Americans and other foreigners are welcome to visit Canada any time they like but all visitors to Canada must demonstrate, before entering the country, that they aren't a risk of becoming a burden on Canada.

At the border they must be able to prove that they have enough funds to support themselves and any health emergencies that might happen while they're visiting. If they are not able to support their visit and any possible health emergencies that might arise while in the country, they aren't allowed into the country.

And that is exactly the way Canadians are required to support their entry to the U.S.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:38 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
If Canada is so great, then why doesn't it make the list? Especially since it is our neighbor, unlike most of those countries listed!

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowb...edical-tourism
Canadians pay for their health care through insurance - i.e., their taxes are their premiums. Since Americans don't pay those taxes, they would have to pay out-of-pocket. If you're paying out-of-pocket to get cheaper care, why would go to a country where the out-of-pocket costs are about the same as they would be in America????

You have to go to a country where the out-of-pocket expenses are genuinely cheaper than what they'd be in the US, and that will usually mean a second-world country - like Mexico, for instance - where you can find hospitals and doctors who meet first-world standards but charge less.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:40 PM

1,400 posts, read 864,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
1grin_g0 it seems to me like you are confusing health care systems with health payment systems. They are not the same thing.

Perhaps for the moment you should put aside your thoughts about about what constitutes medical care and who gets it, and focus instead on systems of payment for that medical care.

Canada provides good medical care in as timely a fashion as possible, just as USA and all other medically advanced countries do the same.

Canada has a single payer system that works for people living and working in Canada and those Canadians all pay into the system through their taxes. In some provinces people also pay additional but very affordable provincial health insurance premiums based on annual income.

All other non-resident visitors to Canada have to pay for any medical care that they get, either out of pocket or via their own private health insurance.

What Canada does not have is a bunch of profiteering middle man insurance companies deciding who does or does not qualify for medical care.

USA does not have a single payer system. It has a mish mash of payment systems and a lot of profiteering middle men known as Insurance Companies who are only in the business to suck every last exorbitant penny they can out of American citizens and they get to decide who qualifies for health insurance and what the insurance rates are.

But at least USA medical practitioners certainly do provide good medical care for those who can afford the exorbitant costs.

I can't argue with that at all. Many Americans like me that consider ourselves right of center, would love to cut out the insurance companies from the equation. I'd rather pay cash straight up. One of the problems with ObamaCare is that it requires Americans to purchase insurance from the insurance companies. Think about that for a minute. They are guaranteed our business so what incentive do they have to cut rates? We are mandated to purchase it regardless of the rates or face tax penalties. That is absolutely insane.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:44 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
I've heard a lot of talk lately about single payer and how great the Canadian healthcare system supposedly is.

Interesting article:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-cou...or-health-care

If the Canadian system is so much better than ours, then why are Canadians increasingly coming to the US for care?
http://www.vox.com/2016/10/9/1322279...s-trump-debate

New study finds 45,000 deaths annually linked to lack of health coverage | Harvard Gazette

Old 03-28-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The mother was born and raised in St Catherine's, Ontario, and did not give up her Canadian citizenship when moving to the US, so her kids are dual citizens as well. And they make the drive to St Catherine's for doctor, dentist, optometrist etc
They must use a local address for their 'home'.

But yes you have to live in the province for 90 days to get coverage.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:48 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,943,904 times
Quote:
So 10 to 20 million Americans can show up in Canada, receive free medical care, and not pay a dime? Wow, I wonder if that would make things more expensive for you?
I need to go back and reread these posts, because this is a false statement. I've traveled to countries with national health care and I still had to pay, since I was not a citizen. However, if you become a permanent resident, the waiting period for coverage is only a few months in some countries like Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
They must use a local address for their 'home'.

But yes you have to live in the province for 90 days to get coverage.
LOL, we were posting at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

People always think they don't need health insurance until it happens to them.
So true. I met a woman who didn't buy a Medicare supplement when she turned 65. About 5 years later, she got cancer and was overwhelmed with medical bills. She eventually had to go on Medicaid. She also got help from local charities, but we all end up paying one way or another.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:49 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
I can't argue with that at all. Many Americans like me that consider ourselves right of center, would love to cut out the insurance companies from the equation. I'd rather pay cash straight up. One of the problems with ObamaCare is that it requires Americans to purchase insurance from the insurance companies. Think about that for a minute. They are guaranteed our business so what incentive do they have to cut rates? We are mandated to purchase it regardless of the rates or face tax penalties. That is absolutely insane.
But the alternative is illogical. Half of Americans don't have the ability to right a $500 check right right now. How on earth would they pay cash for medical care? My cancer diagnosis and 6 months of chemo (the cheaper, inferior chemo my insurance forced upon me) was $500,000. Follow up care over the last 6 years have been an additional $100,000 at the very least. I haven't yet even EARNED that much money in my entire career - I was diagnosed shortly after starting my first job out of college.

People always think they don't need health insurance until it happens to them. Until we have some kind of universal health care system that covers everyone when acute or chronic illness or accidents hit, then it's completely illogical to not force everyone into the health care system. We need healthy-for-now people to pay premiums to support people who are not healthy in this moment, and we know a person who "can't afford" health insurance certainly can't afford to pay their own way for any kind of treatment.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:53 PM

I have never known any Canadian who died waiting for care.

My mother was diagnosed with cancer a few years ago and had no wait time for any of the tests, treatments, etc.

She recently had a fall and then a stroke -- no wait time for any care, tests, treatment. The health care coverage is paying for someone to visit her daily to assist with showering, light house keeping, and making sure she is taking meds, and is okay.

My father in law lives in Quebec -- a different province than my Mom. He has had numerous hospital visits with no wait times or dealys for treatments.

My mother in law has alzheimers - -in Ontario -- she has never been denied or delayed treatment.

I had three kids in Canada -- never had to wait for anything.

My kids never had to wait for anythin g- -not even in an emergency room.

Husband had breathing issues and was seen to immeidately.

I have three brothers and a sister -- none of them or their families have been delayed any medical treatment.

My husband has three sisters and none of them and their 7 kids and spouses and children have ever been denied or experienced delay in treatment.

I hear these stories all the time -- but never when I'm in Canada - only in the States by conservatives trying to make out that Canadians are dying left, right and center

You know there is a lower infant mortality rate in Canada....people live longer.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies