Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 10:47 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,221,428 times

Advertisements

Must be nice to have the Canadian universal coverage as an option, for the vast majority of Canadians who can't afford the absurdly over inflated prices of US healthcare.

I wonder how many of these Canadians who head south of the border for medical care have buyer's regret when they see the bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

1,350 posts, read 2,300,978 times
No, I want to see a UK style insurance system in the US. Additionally, like the UK and unlike Canada, you can buy private insurance if you wish but every citizen has access to primary care.

27,214 posts, read 46,761,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
I've heard a lot of talk lately about single payer and how great the Canadian healthcare system supposedly is.

Interesting article:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-cou...or-health-care

If the Canadian system is so much better than ours, then why are Canadians increasingly coming to the US for care?
No, just as bad as the Dutch system that is causing huge waiting lists and year after year, less coverage!

The small percentage of working people can't afford to pay for babies, kids, teenagers, elderly, unemployed and refugees to all get free health care while the small percentage has to pay for all of them!

Old 03-28-2017, 10:53 AM

1,400 posts, read 864,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
You cherry picked my post. The "waiting list" is for non emergency care. For emergency care, there is no waiting list
Sorry, I wasn't trying to cherry pick, just trying to understand what you meant. Thanks for clarifying. What exactly does your statement in bold mean? There is not a waiting list for our emergency care either that I am aware of, just long waits in the emergency room.

I thought this quote from the article was interesting as well.

Quote:
In citing those numbers in its 2015 report, "Leaving Canada for Medical Care," the organization said difficulties in obtaining timely medical care at home is, increasingly, leading Canadians to seek it abroad. "It is possible [they] may have left the country to avoid some of the adverse medical consequences of waiting for care, such as worsening of their condition, poorer outcomes following treatment, disability, or death," the report says. "Some may leave simply to avoid delay and to make a quicker return to normal life."

Old 03-28-2017, 10:53 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,494,901 times
I wonder which system lower-income Canadians would prefer to use? Theirs or ours?

Old 03-28-2017, 10:54 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,907,598 times
I have a lot of CDN snowbird neighbors and I'd rate their approval rating of their health care system around 85%

The only 'bad' stories are waiting times for non-emergency surgeries. Evidently there's a current shortage of surgeons. The wait times for knee replacement (non-emergency) seems to be 3 or 4 months.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:56 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,907,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
Must be nice to have the Canadian universal coverage as an option, for the vast majority of Canadians who can't afford the absurdly over inflated prices of US healthcare.

I wonder how many of these Canadians who head south of the border for medical care have buyer's regret when they see the bill.
Some head south of another border...to Mexico. Mexico has a very robust medical tourism business and costs are quite low.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:56 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
No, I want to see a UK style insurance system in the US. Additionally, like the UK and unlike Canada, you can buy private insurance if you wish but every citizen has access to primary care.
Me too. My UK relatives never worry about being able to afford medical care. They can also travel or live in any part of the country without worrying about losing their care or finding something else. They don't stress about health care.

Also, an older UK relative didn't want to wait a few months for a knee replacement so she bought cheap private insurance and got the surgery right away. Then she went off on her vacation instead of postponing it.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:59 AM

152 posts, read 134,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
The wealthy have it made in the US too. Those on Medicaid and Medicare have a hard time finding providers, and the VA doesn't provide sufficient care either and many wait or get no care at all.

I once heard someone from Canada talking about having to wait for 2 months for something, none emergency, but at least in 2 months, they would get the services.

Yes, I would like to see us have a Canadian healthcare system.
No you wouldn't. Have you ever been to DMV? How would you like to have them take care of you in a crisis?

I am originally from Canada and it is garbage and expensive as hell.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:59 AM

1,400 posts, read 864,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
I have a lot of CDN snowbird neighbors and I'd rate their approval rating of their health care system around 85%

The only 'bad' stories are waiting times for non-emergency surgeries. Evidently there's a current shortage of surgeons. The wait times for knee replacement (non-emergency) seems to be 3 or 4 months.
Interesting. I've heard the same thing from Canadians where I'm at, excessively long waits for surgery. Some have also made comments to me of how impressed they were with our emergency care. My Canadian friend's life was saved here. He said he'd probably be dead if it happened in Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies