Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 11:59 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times

Advertisements

[quote=1grin_g0;47661888]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post

But if Canada is so much better, then why aren't Americans going to Canada for care? It is much cheaper to get to Canada than it is to get to India.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowb...edical-tourism
Perhaps in India the medical people are paid less than those in Canada. Americans may not get health care as cheap here as Canadians do as they doctors cannot charge the approved fee and need to bill them directly. We are not going to pay for your health care with our money or give up our hospital beds so that you can save money. This is simply a silly argument. Actually there was a plan on building a hospital in Canada just to treat Americans however the government did not allow it as it would be a start at removing Canadian doctors from the health care system because the private business would be able to pay more because they would be charging their patients considerably more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 12:03 PM

7,681 posts, read 5,530,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post

But if Canada is so much better, then why aren't Americans going to Canada for care? It is much cheaper to get to Canada than it is to get to India.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowb...edical-tourism
Only those who have established legal residency in a specific province or territory for three months are entitled to a Health card. Proof of residency for example might be a driver's licence for the province. Proof of the residency being legal might be a Canadian birth certificate.

I was born in Canada. Yet when I moved from one province to another I was not entitled to a Health card in my new province until I had established residency here for 3 months. My old province still covered me for those three months.

A Canadian citizen (or any foreigner) who is a resident in a foreign country is not entitled to free health care in Canada.

Last edited by cdnirene; 03-28-2017 at 12:18 PM..

Old 03-28-2017, 12:05 PM

1,400 posts, read 864,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post

Perhaps in India the medical people are paid less than those in Canada. Americans may not get health care as cheap here as Canadians do as they doctors cannot charge the approved fee and need to bill them directly. We are not going to pay for your health care with our money or give up our hospital beds so that you can save money. This is simply a silly argument. Actually there was a plan on building a hospital in Canada just to treat Americans however the government did not allow it as it would be a start at removing Canadian doctors from the health care system because the private business would be able to pay more because they would be charging their patients considerably more.

So in other words the Canadian system puts Canadians first. Interesting. I wish we would do that here, instead of taking care of every foreigner that shows up.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Only those who have established legal residency in a specific province or territory for three months are entitled to a Health card. Proof of residency for example might be a driver's licence for the province. Proof of being legal resident might be a Canadian birth certificate.

I was born in Canada. Yet when I moved from one province to another I was not entitled to a Health card in my new province until I had established residency here for 3 months. My old province still covered me for those three months.

A Canadian citizen (or any foreigner) who is a resident in a foreign country is not entitled to free health care in Canada.

I'm jealous. It looks like the Canadian system puts Canadian interests first, while our system takes care of every foreigner that shows up for free. No wonder why healthcare is "cheaper" in Canada. We should learn something from our neighbor.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:13 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Quote:
I've heard a lot of talk lately about single payer and how great the Canadian healthcare system supposedly is.

Interesting article:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-cou...or-health-care

If the Canadian system is so much better than ours, then why are Canadians increasingly coming to the US for care?
They mostly dont for necessary care. Only the optional stuff.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:20 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
I'm curious, why isn't Canada one of the countries where Americans are seeking care? If it is so great and all?
And you would know they're not how exactly? I love this one:

Palin Crossed Border For Canadian Health Care | The Huffington Post

Americans were quite content to use our healthcare by the thousands for decades up until Canada instituted measures to prevent them stealing it.

Here's some history for you:

Americans Filching Free Health Care in Canada - NYTimes.com

Independent Bloggers' Alliance: Americans "Filching" Canada's Health Insurance System by the Thousands

And if you're indeed curious rather than simply being condescending; why don't you ask why every authoritative agency in the world rates Canada's system superior to the U.S.?

Old 03-28-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I'm jealous. It looks like the Canadian system puts Canadian interests first, while our system takes care of every foreigner that shows up for free. No wonder why healthcare is "cheaper" in Canada. We should learn something from our neighbor.

My brother in law had what he thought was a heart attack in the States and even though he has Canadians insurance and travel insurance he was still out of pocket some money. His bill was paid for my him and the other two parties. And yet you claim I can just show up to the States and I can get free treatment. Or is it just those pesky brown people who come into your country, don't work , collect all the benefits and steal your jobs?

I doubt that you can learn anything from Canadians, remember that the United States is the very best at everything I have heard that enough on TV it must be true.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
And you would know they're not how exactly? I love this one:

Palin Crossed Border For Canadian Health Care | The Huffington Post

Americans were quite content to use our healthcare by the thousands for decades up until Canada instituted measures to prevent them stealing it.

Here's some history for you:

Americans Filching Free Health Care in Canada - NYTimes.com

Independent Bloggers' Alliance: Americans "Filching" Canada's Health Insurance System by the Thousands

And if you're indeed curious rather than simply being condescending; why don't you ask why every authoritative agency in the world rates Canada's system superior to the U.S.?

I think he is just looking for ways to put down the Canadian system or to make theirs look better.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:26 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,942 times
Instead of trying to lead readers to assume it's widespread, it would have been nice if the OP had provided some perspective as to how widespread this is - it's not. It probably is mostly wealthy Canadians choosing to do so for a variety of reasons. From 2015, includes an insight into what specialty results in the most travel:
Quote:
The percentage of Canadian patients who travelled abroad to receive non-emergency medical care was 1.1 per cent.

British Columbia had the highest proportion of its patients travel abroad to receive non-emergency medical treatment in 2014 (1.6 per cent), while Alberta had the second largest proportion (1.5 per cent) and Ontario had the third (1.3 per cent). The province with the lowest proportion of its patients travel abroad was P.E.I. (0.4 per cent).

Neurosurgeons reported the highest proportion of patients travelling abroad for treatment (2.6 per cent), while plastic surgery reported the lowest (0.3 per cent), indicating a gap in the field of neurosurgery treatment in this country.
More than 52,000 Canadians travelled abroad for health care last year, study finds | National Post

And if you want to use numbers of citizens engaged in medical tourism as a metric, how about this one vs the OP's "52,513 Canadians" who came to the USA?
Quote:
Researchers have confirmed that
· In 2013, about 75,000 American citizens traveled to India for medical treatment and more than 300,000 went to Latin America.
· It is estimated that approximately 1.25 million Americans travel abroad in 2014 for medical treatment.
https://www.health-tourism.com/medic.../usa-research/

Last edited by Midpack; 03-28-2017 at 12:37 PM..

Old 03-28-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
My brother in law had what he thought was a heart attack in the States and even though he has Canadians insurance and travel insurance he was still out of pocket some money. His bill was paid for my him and the other two parties. And yet you claim I can just show up to the States and I can get free treatment. Or is it just those pesky brown people who come into your country, don't work , collect all the benefits and steal your jobs?

I doubt that you can learn anything from Canadians, remember that the United States is the very best at everything I have heard that enough on TV it must be true.
Yes, you can for emergencies like a heart attack. All your brother had to do was say that he couldn't pay or pretend he couldn't speak English. They have no way of identifying who you really are and if you have the ability to pay.

The Canadians on here have proved my point. We can't have a system like Canada as long as our laws require that we have to care for every foreigner that shows up. The Canadian system puts Canadians first. I truly wish we could put Americans first in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies