Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 09:56 PM

13,235 posts, read 21,858,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
All well and good, until the tame Telco manager currently heading up the FCC does away with Net Neutrality. Ooops, traffic to VPN providers just got the lowest possible priority. What a shame, but the ISP is not obligated to treat traffic equally and it's not in their interest to undercut the nice little profit center that the Republicans have so graciously given them. You just turn off that nasty VPN like a good little consumer and see performance increase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 09:58 PM

3,862 posts, read 1,802,192 times
Will banking info, email/ passwords, addresses, etc be protected? Why do they want this info from Americans? I am against the government taking private info that wasn't given to them.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:12 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,640,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Will banking info, email/ passwords, addresses, etc be protected? Why do they want this info from Americans? I am against the government taking private info that wasn't given to them.

LOL, I would buy it all. You know how much value there is in that info.
For example, emails containing numbers are often good to send certain email marketing campaigns. If I could tie it back to their banking info, I'd be able to optimize the messages even more.

I really wish.

You can thank Trump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-28-2017, 10:12 PM

47,008 posts, read 26,069,554 times
Quote:
Will banking info, email/ passwords, addresses, etc be protected?
These days, almost all content is encrypted (https and the like) - but the ISP can quite easily see what websites you're going to. It's a bit like the difference between the postal service keeping a record of who you're corresponding with vs. reading your letters.

Quote:
Why do they want this info from Americans?
Money. You spent time looking up stuff with cancer support groups? Your health insurance would very much like to know. Did you visit Home Depot's website? Time for Lowe's to put some ads in your browser and some spam in your mailbox.

Quote:
I am against the government taking private info that wasn't given to them.
This is not the government taking anything. This was the government keeping your Internet provider from snooping in your business, and Republicans putting a stop to that.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:23 PM

3,862 posts, read 1,802,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
LOL, I would buy it all. You know how much value there is in that info.
For example, emails containing numbers are often good to send certain email marketing campaigns. If I could tie it back to their banking info, I'd be able to optimize the messages even more.

I really wish.

You can thank Trump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What? Your willing to make money off this? I hope you aren't serious.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:23 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,155,357 times
This is terrible. And I don't really see this as a partisan issue (despite the vote split -- and serious kudos to the 15 Republicans with the integrity to vote NO on this). Everyday conservatives and liberals alike who know about this are outraged by this.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:29 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,155,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Notice that the Trump supporters are nearly silent on this. They can't defend this, because it's indefensible.
What's with the unnecessary division? I'm seeing quite a few express disapproval with this. It's possible to support Trump while still disagreeing with certain things.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:31 PM

6,394 posts, read 4,123,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
This is terrible. And I don't really see this as a partisan issue (despite the vote split -- and serious kudos to the 15 Republicans with the integrity to vote NO on this). Everyday conservatives and liberals alike who know about this are outraged by this.
But it obviously is a partisan issue. Conservatives support getting rid of the privacy rule because it was instituted by evil Obama. Look at the vote split. Don't tell me this is not a partisan issue. It obviously is. Liberals like our privacy on the net. Obviously, conservatives do not want privacy on the net.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:32 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,640,568 times
Quote:
What? Your willing to make money off this? I hope you aren't serious.
Yeah, I totally would. It's called advertising, ad-tech, etc. It's what I do for a living. Building algorithms to present the optimal ads to consumers so as to improve their overall online experience. We're doing you a great service.

Thank you TRUMP!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-28-2017, 10:47 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,791,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
What's with the unnecessary division? I'm seeing quite a few express disapproval with this. It's possible to support Trump while still disagreeing with certain things.
No it's not. Supporting Trump at this point is such an insanely irrational and stupid position, it's impossible to have any common ground with Trump supporters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies